Life in the US Navy compared to the Royal Navy

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
I did a few months over in 'brain last year and the 'USS Dwight Dubber'you Kennedy' called in with its 1.3 billion Elmer's. The US chief's mess was overun with 'em but I noticed about 10% of them were wearing a bright yellow polo shirts.
Latching on to one of their CPO's, I asked whats the idea of the 'lemon look'. Turned out it they were babysitters aka 'Sponsors', who are effectively there to make sure the liberty guys & gals (regardless of rank) don't have a jar too many and get back to their floating country before midders. Couldn't believe it..!!
Worse still, the CPO I was chatting to, along with all other CPO's was only allowed leave until 1am. This is the norm apparently.
It seems the US really do have a dim view of anyone who partakes with the Jolly-Juice habit.

Samson said:
Newbie question: Am I right in thinking that RN submarines are dry?
No, beer (and spirits in the SR's mess) is available. Most tend not to bother at sea but that's self moderation. Nothing stopping you having a tinny when you're off watch.

WreckerL said:
Samson said:
Newbie question: Am I right in thinking that RN submarines are dry?
No, beer (and spirits in the SR's mess) is available. Most tend not to bother at sea but that's self moderation. Nothing stopping you having a tinny when you're off watch.
Oh that's alright them. Don't mind if I get pinged for boats now :lol:

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I always thought the USN being dry was a hangover from Prohibiiton - when that was lifted nationally, it just staye din plac ein the USN. We gave our USN visitors mess numbers in STANAVFORLANT, couldn't afford to do otherwise. They didn't really understand us of course. More sense of humour than most of them could take or understand. Gee, is that so? You don't say?

Go into a nice storm off Norway, we stayed out, they went in. Chicken.

I dont think its a recent development. Self moderation has been the case for a long time in the RN, even when Bubbly was issued, there were those that stashed it in the punkah louvres and had a wee party every now and then. If you dont self mod, sooner or later you end up on basket weaving course. To be fair though, these days too many pies can land you with a RNFT.

If you go to certain dry countries you will be asked if you "use alcohol", and if you do you can apply for an addicts chit and be rationed your supply. Get caught stashing it and its anything from the lash to prison. In the US you come across something similar, with a 21 drinking age and 3.2% beer if you "Use alcohol", all the ads berate you to "do so responsibly" or "in moderation". Binge drinking among teenage high schoolers is rife, but so is meth and pot. Unfortunately this is reflected in the recruits of course. So banning it doesn't seem to help control use or over use.

I remember being in New London and our USN guest boat was a bomber. The night before they went on patrol, we had a massive beach party and BBQ. That was the first time I saw coke being cut - and we aint talking about the fizzy type. Yep, they set off on patrol hungover and whacked out.

Went to Norfolk Va '72: bimbled over on the depot ship LY SPEAR - was offered a cup of coffee or any drug of my choice from the menu.
Gib, the same year, there was a war between black and white aboard the DDG BARNEY.
Gib, 76, asked this bloke off the NIMITZ if it was true 60% of the crew were on drugs - "No, more like 90%". There was no racial tension between whites and blacks - they all hated the Filipinos.
Looks like the problems of society in the States have gone to sea - numerous cases of "gang bangers" being found in military units all over the world. Glad I was in the Mob I was in, with the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish all getting along (most of the time).

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
At risk of taking the thread ashore, in Houston in 1964 I was puzzled to see plastic cups flying out of the windows of the cars in front. It was explained that it was illegal to have an open bottle of booze in your car. So bars served one for the road in a plastic cup so that people could still drink and drive.

Septics being dry aint the only problem their living conditions on board are rank, i know R N ships are not that good having been on type 14s and the Blake but septic mess deck are s**t

tedbungy said:
Septics being dry aint the only problem their living conditions on board are rank, i know R N ships are not that good having been on type 14s and the Blake but septic mess deck are s**t
Having stayed at the US Submarine Base at Groton 1976, their shore accommadation was gash. A hall full of bunks and lockers 250/300 people no bunk lights and lights out at 2100. Bogs with waist high partitions and no doors. They got very upset when we took booze back there fron the Navy Exchange but didnt seem to care that most of the Yanks were smoking spliffs 8O , I think in the 70s it was compulsery. Went back a few months latter and was vitualled in the Holliday Inn near by.

Went on a destroyer at Cape Kennedy '68: in the Rec Space (right forrard), to my astonishment was a shock mounted BAL-AMI jukebox - hadn't seen one since the coffee bar days of the late 50s !!

janner said:
It causes ones botty to pucker if they get to wet on the inside
:D :D :D :salute:

Edited to add, your comment reminds me of Martin Semmelrogge (my favourite bad guy) in Das Boot, he said "Arschbacken zusammen kneifen" squeeze your cheeks together, which is a euphemism for dying.

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
Had a guided tour around the USS New Orleans last year by a young female Ensign (luuuush) just after it had it's collision with it's own sub USS Hartford.
They have this really odd habit of saluting each other regardless of rank when around the QM. As well of course saluting the SS Banner.
When I asked this lady her job/role/branch, she said 'Fire Officer' (firefighting...??) No navigation, engineering or similar.
'Mmmm. Have alot of fires as well as collisions then?' I thought.

An excellent ramming result...!

Did an exchange two weeks back in the 60's with a Yank carrier[forgot it's name now] couldn't believe it.
Coffee machine bubbling at most flats but the high point was when they asked what type of steak I wanted for breakfast!
Pissed myself thinking of the Yanks on board my frigate who would be offered tea with condensed milk plus woodbine for their breakfast.
Wasn't for me,no tot and no hammocks.
Seemed a bit of a busy when not really needed type of ship.
The RN was more of a navy,the Yanks more of killing everything type of ship with luxury provided for all[compared to us]

Had a Yank doing Perisher on my last boat. He said it was a real eye opener as they don't do inshore ops, underwater looks, eyes only etc etc. I asked him what they did on Yank command qualifying course and he said "not a lot, mainly fire weapons off".

says it all really.

WreckerL said:
Had a Yank doing Perisher on my last boat. He said it was a real eye opener as they don't do inshore ops, underwater looks, eyes only etc etc. I asked him what they did on Yank command qualifying course and he said "not a lot, mainly fire weapons off".

says it all really.

That's why we used to do all the more 'interesting' ops............ :roll: