Life in the RN?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MerchantSeaman, Nov 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm a deck officer in the merchant navy, looking to join the RN as a warfare officer. I've been down to the recruitment office and asked around, had a quick interview with the officer there (haven't actually applied yet)

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I'm just asking if any of you would share your experience of naval life, whats the food like onboard, whats the accomadation like? Any serving (or ex) warfare officers who would be willing to talk to me? I've got all the good parts from the recruitment office, now i'm looking for the reality ;). How much time do you spend at sea? when you're not at sea... what do you do?

Thanks in advance.

and also sorry in advance if this has all been asked before, i tried searching but didn't find much.

2. Why on Earth would you want to change?

3. Less pay, less leave, less sea time, less exciting places to visit… Other than that.

Personally, I'd opt for the RFA.

4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

RFA would be a less painful transfer - almost seamless in fact.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Smells of journo to me.

6. I've already tried the RFA, they're not recruiting qualified officer at the moment, only taking on cadets. Reasons for wanting a change, there are many.
    I suspect the RN has it's share of bad points, i'd just like some info on them. For example, i'm currently working 4 months on, 3 months off. What would the RN trips be like? Just an estimate, so far most i've read about seem to be between 4 and 8 months. Just a basic overview of life in the RN don't want any of the "get paid to see the world" jargon that you get in the recruitment office. What hours would i likely to work? Would my merchant experience be of any relevance in the rn? I'm 24, is that going to hinder any application or career prospects. I've read all the literature on the rn website, i'd just like an inside account from somebody doing the job

7. MerchantSeaman check your PMs

8. Mate the grass is always greener.
    Stick where you are, you are honestly better off :)

9. Are you nuts

10. Apparantly so! I have to say, all these replies are making me doubt the idea...

Well thanks for all the advice, think i'll be heading back to the recruitment office with some more questions before i make any descision