Life in the navy

My lad is on a 23 - 2 years now.
In that time he has done the usual maint periods and Sea Training in Guz but also, Sweden, Norway, Canada (twice) and a 9 month Gulf trip going to places I never went to in 24 years.
Oh, and Wales!
I went to Scotland, regularly, does that count?

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Ten and a half years of sea appointments (I've culled the time ashore on courses) took me to 45 countries including two trips to the Med and three to the Far East.

Joined Navy, saw world.

The wind don't blow the way it used to.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ninja you're not comparing like with like.
In the 80's you benefitted from a number of ships far from home enjoying the delights of the East and West not to mention the South and the not so jolly North.
Keeboo enquired of his or her opportunity for foreign travel .
Equally you're making comments based on what is at sea, today, against someones aspirations to joint the Navy and get to the Fleet in 12-36months! A Navy that is radically changing, growing new platforms, looking again (realistically) at foreign/forward basing and is looking ahead, not behind.

Equally you're making comments based on what is at sea, today, against someones aspirations to joint the Navy and get to the Fleet in 12-36months! A Navy that is radically changing, growing new platforms, looking again (realistically) at foreign/forward basing and is looking ahead, not behind.
It's a question of being realistic and not filling Keeboo's head with possibly impossible dreams. It is as a Chef he or she is enquiring. The number of Chefs at sea on surface vessels in the RN is not going to be high whether in Acapulco or doing the measured mile in Scapa Flow. So far as his foreign travel prospects are concerned service on vast numbers of Cruise Ships carrying prodigious numbers of Chefs all over the world would be his best bet.

It's a question of being realistic and not filling Keeboo's head with possibly impossible dreams. It is as a Chef he or she is enquiring. The number of Chefs at sea on surface vessels in the RN is not going to be high whether in Acapulco or doing the measured mile in Scapa Flow. So far as his foreign travel prospects are concerned service on vast numbers of Cruise Ships carrying prodigious numbers of Chefs all over the world would be his best bet.
8-10% of the crew of a 23 are chefs, if Dapperdun is correct. In the dim and distant, On a 42 more than 50% of the S&S dept were chefs, 31 jr and 4 sr if memeory serves, so again about 18 or so, and chefs back then tended to get more sea time than shore

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
The OP wasn't saying they only wanted to travel, they were asking WHERE and could they explore.

The OP wasn't saying they only wanted to travel, they were asking WHERE and could they explore.
For those that go on Cruise's they spend lots of time at sea in nice places but very little time along side, merchant ships only make money at SRA is an old saying, how true that is I have no idea.

8-10% of the crew of a 23 are chefs, if Dapperdun is correct. In the dim and distant, On a 42 more than 50% of the S&S dept were chefs, 31 jr and 4 sr if memeory serves, so again about 18 or so, and chefs back then tended to get more sea time than shore
Dug out an Alphabetical Index of the last 18 month Commission ship I sailed on.
She carried 166 plus 18 Victuals Only . 16 Officers and 2 Canteen Staff.
One General Leading Chef and one Officers' Chef.
Those two Chefs saw parts of the world Cruise Ship passengers will never see no matter how much they pay. Whether they wanted to or not.

Last edited:
Dug out an Alphabetical Index of the last 18 month Commission ship I sailed on.
She carried 166 plus 18 Victuals Only . 16 Officers and 2 Canteen Staff.
One General Leading Chef and one Officers' Chef.
Those two Chefs saw parts of the world Cruise Ship passengers will never see no matter how much they pay. Whether they want to or not.
There are of course many more catering staff on a liner than on a war canoe, numbers of mouths to feed dictate that, but how many of them joined as untrained? What was the longest they would have been alongside in any given port?