Life as a weapons engineer in the RN?

MG Maniac

War Hero
Used to know the Sgt of the Hants Marine Police ... went on to become Newtown Harbour Master when he retired. Mind he was in there when they only had one boat ..

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Funny old thing SPB, I have made enquiries into joining the marine police unit down here for when I leave; extremely dificult to get into apparently due to high demand and low vacancies.
The only accepted way to join a Police Force these days is by becoming a PCSO/Special, then apply to go full-time in due course. If it's what you want to do, then it is worth the wait. However, if you're prepared to relocate, I heard yesterday that Merseyside Police are recruiting at the moment (but like most Forces, they will only select from the first 1000 or so applications, rather than all applications submitted by the advertised deadline, so be quick!) If you are willing to join another Force and do your 2-year probation with them, you can relocate to your chosen area via internal transfer in due course. :wink:

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Relocation not as easy an option as they'd have you believe; my sister has been trying for years to change her county constabulary since she got divorced with no luck. WRT me specifically, I only would only consider the marine unit now, as when I was considering the regular force my sister and her ex (also a copper) both assured me that I had entirely the wrong temperament to do the job.

Sumo

War Hero
Relocation not as easy an option as they'd have you believe; my sister has been trying for years to change her county constabulary since she got divorced with no luck. WRT me specifically, I only would only consider the marine unit now, as when I was considering the regular force my sister and her ex (also a copper) both assured me that I had entirely the wrong temperament to do the job.
Would that be stroppy barsteward then:thumbright::headbang:

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Let's just say that I don't suffer fools lightly. (or cocky gobshites calling **** out of me for doing my job and/or trying to help/protect others!)

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Fair enough. With reference to relocation, I was generalising; it depends on the circumstances of the individual and the Force to which they want to relocate (i.e. what skills they have and whether that Force has a vacancy available).

As for the Marine Unit, MDP have the same problem you described above. Here in Portsmouth, QHM has a Volunteer Harbour Patrol (of which I am a member) but from what I understand, Devonport does not provide this service (at the moment understandable, as it comes from QHM's budget and local sponsorship). But perhaps some campaigning from local firms and enthusiasts like yourself who have a keen interest in maritime matters and extensive local knowledge, could influence their decision in the future?

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Ballistic

War Hero
Made many "o" seals through the years as it happens and the last "component" I made was for WE's funny enough.
As for lubricants, well natural's always best!
Did you use the kit that came in a yellow box with 'cut-to-size' bits of rubber and superglue?
If so, much respect, (safeguard), 'cos I could never get any joy from that gear at anything like working pressure.

I always got on well with the clankies on all my ships and although I never needed to have anything made for me, I spent many hours in the engineers' workshop, (mostly on the lathe), manufacturing bits for my broken kit which could not be supplied via Naval Stores.

However, I never did learn how to make a thyristor :biggrin:

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Did you use the kit that came in a yellow box with 'cut-to-size' bits of rubber and superglue?
If so, much respect, (safeguard), 'cos I could never get any joy from that gear at anything like working pressure. :biggrin:
I can't remember the colour of the box (think it may have been red for imperial kits and blue for metric????), but, yes that is indeed the stuff I speak of. Not the best for a long term repair, but it has got me out of a hole on many occasions until the correct seal arrived.

WreckerL

War Hero
I can't remember the colour of the box (think it may have been red for imperial kits and blue for metric????), but, yes that is indeed the stuff I speak of. Not the best for a long term repair, but it has got me out of a hole on many occasions until the correct seal arrived.
Used to watch the clankies trying to fix many a steam leak with the Furmanite kit, I found the Mazel Metal kit was ace for keeping an old Datsun I once had in one piece.

OMM

War Hero
Soooo from this I have gathered life as an ET(WE) is many sleepless nights....

this is ofocurse if you lot are being sarcastic, which I think you are.

RomanyRanner

Lantern Swinger
Got one here right in front of me.
Pusser actually taught me something :)
Amazed the locals when I can knock up an o-ring to save the day.
We use them for vacuum as opposed to pressure..

LOCTITE O Ring Splicing Kit - O-Rings - 5A234|112 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Latest Threads