Life as a weapons engineer in the RN?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ins, Sep 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ins

Hi, I am strongly considering a career in the navy after I leave sixth form in two years. I was considering going to uni to do marine engineering as I have the target grades, but uni doesn't really appeal to me. However, I want to go into weapons engineering but although I've found out a great deal about other branches, I haven't been able to find out much about the day to day life of a weapons engineer either on deployment or not :(

I apologize for the amount of questions I have, but I'd appreciate any help I could get since the internet has failed this time :roll:

So, what is your day like while at sea? Do you enjoy it? How often do you go away on deployment? What does your job actually consist of, as the descriptions online have been very vague.

Thanks for your help,
  2. Mainly world of warcraft and sleeping all day
    • Like Like x 1
  3. With booze. Don't forget the booze, loads of booze. And women, even ugly bastards can pull with a uniform, and a gun and some medals.
    Oh and a ship, if you can get in a ship that is usually handy if you go overseas, but not essential.
    All the others are.
  4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Sleep and uckers. Master use of the telephone and memorise Marconi and Ferranti phone numbers in case anything breaks.
  5. You really are a silly old fart! They have both been bust for donkey's years! But I truly do concur with the sentiments!!
  6. 3 recognised WE repair techniques:

1. ON/OFF switch aka "Ferranti re-boot"
    2. Willy-nilly board shuffle
    3. Call a contractor
  7. My day at sea.....
    Awake from my 9 hours in my rack.
    Turn to...
    Stand easy
    Turn to...
    Turn to...
    Secure at 1600
    Get in bed
    Dinner at 1830
    Get in the fridge
    Go to bed.

I aim to get at least 5 hours in my rack, anything at night is a bonus!!!!!
  8. Master the intricacies of filling out a T3, then go back to bed.
  9. As beer bosun it used to grip my shit on a Sunday having to get up and organise the day's beer issue by 1000 while the rest of the mess were still in their scratchers, but then again, I've always been the self sacrificing type
  10. tiddlyoggy

I wouldn't know, always had to fix my own kit!
  11. You can manufacture your own lubricants and 'O' seals?

I'm impressed :notworthy:

No replacement parts for you then? :winkrazz:
  12. tiddlyoggy

Made many "o" seals through the years as it happens and the last "component" I made was for WE's funny enough.
    As for lubricants, well natural's always best!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. You should find that you have plenty spare time on your hands, during which you can play Royal Naval Ludo with your pals and make as much noise as is humanly possible in order to irritate the watch keepers.
  14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

He would do, Tamnottle, if some ungrateful twunt hadn't ditched the Uckers board over the side...
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Good hit, and well remembered

16. Should I and other have been grateful for being kept awake?
  17. It all depends whether you join as a rating or an officer.

As the WE branch runs the navy they have organised for themselves day work at sea on skimmers so lots of time off evenings and weekends, so be prepared for plenty of jealousy from other less important branches, if you join submarines you will have to work harder, as a rating you will gradually be given more responsibility for maintaining equipment, as an officer you will think you are in charge of making sure the equipment is top line, this is a delusional state WE officers have at sea. Marine Engineers think they are important but there sole job in life is to push and go when they are told, as a war canoe is for fighting and the WE keep all the fighting systems on-line :love2::happy6::bounce::happy6::bounce: (stand by for abuse from the less import)

Even on submarines you will get the jealousy call as you take in On watch movies and on watch scran to maximise rack time.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

**** off, Ron Weasley. I thought you had died alone in your bedsit in a pool of stagnant urine, stinking like a piece of dead meat. A piece of dead meat so toxic I wouldn't even feed your corpse to vultures.
  19. I wonder where the WE's get the wigglies from to keep all their toys flashing lights going, especially considering all those "important" defects that occur, normally when loading beer etc :)
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ERs and BERs greenie of course, post EBD we got rid of them and called them clanky ā€˜Lā€™
    do not mention the curse of the Aussie Wiggles?
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012