Life as a RMR

Evening all,

I was going to join RMR a 4 years ago alongside my job, as it was a childhood dream to be a regular (or a pilot, circumstances made it not so though). However, my misses wasn’t keen, so I deviated and compromised and became a retained firefighter instead for 3.5 years, which has similar commitments (on call daily, weekly drill nights), which was great. I’ve moved jobs and climbed that greasy pole, and I’ve had to leave the fire service. So I’m back looking at this.

I want to keep fit, I'm a massive adrenaline junkie, having used to cliff dive, rock climb, all the extreme sports, etc (which I get no more from behind a desk), and I want to do something “more” as with the fire service and give back. So I think it’ll suit me perfectly, though I could go RNR(O), I precisely don’t want more admin like my day job. Additionally, Despite doing a half iron man before lockdown, I decided lockdown made eating pies/car/biscuits/anything bad was the best option in life. And I’m now i’m cutting my (once 10kg) additional rubber tyre and have a defined plan to get RM fit, which I’m in a good place with (about 5 weeks out of being in a strong place to pass the general criteria).

For me, the weekends sound great (when younger I trained weekly for “ten tors”, for anyone that knows that) so I love horrendous heavy hikes across Dartmoor getting piss wet though and tired, I love being outdoors, and love a beasting (in any form). I’m happy navigating and I’m “cheerful in the face of adversity” (the old marines mantra when I was younger - does this still stand?).

I'm looking for some personal feedback on how their RMR life has been. Right now my view is likely rose tinted. Why SHOULDN’T I join the RMR? (And why I should to keep it balanced). I’m 31, so my time is limited now. But I’ll be training anyway while I wait for responses.

Suggestions:
- Is it what you expected?
- What does your month look like?
- I believe during training (12-18 months?) it’s twice a month weekends?)
- Do you get to go on operation often?
- Is the “rubber dagger” stigma a thing? And would it hold you back?
- Undoubtably I’ll be the grandad?
- Can I end up being a useful trained strength? I don’t want to just be a useless number on the books
- Are there promotion opportunities?
- Is the Portsmouth RMR still active? (I’ve read articles they’re moving with the new building, but their FB is dead)
- All phys advice to ensure a pass is well received (currently week 7 of 12 week RMR plan).

loads of words there, so I’ll stop. But any and all feedback would be great. Abuse welcome and encouraged.

Cheers, voodoo

yes,
30-31 days
yes
yes
no
maybe
yes
yes
beast till sick
Short but sweet. Thanks. Surprised to see a maybe for the grandad one! I’m guessing the one missed out was the Portsmouth branch question

Happy to beast till sick, so I’ll crack on .

How long have you been a reserve? What do you end up doing at weekly drill nights/fortnightly weekends?

arcticfox042

Lantern Swinger
Did 19 yrs at RMR London...... after 6yrs in the regs.....

Did mostly the same things at drill nights / weekends..... no sleep, (except on the coach at end-ex) lots of fun... great blokes.... worth the pain and marriages....

Well it must have been a good crack if you stuck around for 19 years.

It all sounds good to me. Still training hard, 6 days a week, some days twice, to get back where I was before COVID. My run is presently letting me down, so that needs more work.

arcticfox042

Lantern Swinger
Well it must have been a good crack if you stuck around for 19 years.

It all sounds good to me. Still training hard, 6 days a week, some days twice, to get back where I was before COVID. My run is presently letting me down, so that needs more work.
Good, hang in there, it's mindset as well, tell yourself you can do it and you will. Thousands have before you. just stick with it.... you wont regret it, fantastic memories to savour in your old age.......

Latest Threads