Life as a marine engineer

Storky86

Midshipman
i have got 9 GCSE above C, including a in english and B in maths. i would prefer to apply as an enginner officer after being a rating, that way i would feel as though i deserve it. work from the bottom up.

Storky86 said:
i have got 9 GCSE above C, including a in english and B in maths. i would prefer to apply as an enginner officer after being a rating, that way i would feel as though i deserve it. work from the bottom up.

An A in English, with writing like that? Yep, TB really HAS done a job on this country :(

Storky86

Midshipman
I just type quickly and make mistakes when I do. My English skills are excellent actually, I work for the TV Times so they better had be.

Yannis

Midshipman
Am a newbie/old fart & just following this thread with interest. Having just awakened from a twenty seven year "sleep" noted it said that the last batch of "Tiffs" are now going through Sultan ? As an ex Mech. does this mean that ALL Tiff & Mech's courses are no longer, and is it now that all from the M.E. branch can progress stage by stage to the same, or higher technical standard....... might seem a dim question, but bare with me on this, as it's been a while.

Old route for Tiff:

Join as a Tiff, or
Join as a Stoker, shine like a gleamy shiny thing and end up as a Mech.

AAC and ACC were amalgamated in the 90's -

As a Mech you would just join one of the baby tiff classes at a certain stage of their training and that was that, pass out as Tiff (as opposed to Mech).

Nowadays.
No more Stoker/Tiff entries.
Everyone joins as Engineering "Technician" (Marine Engineering).

POET(ME)'s are head of sections at sea. CPOET(ME)'s are now "Group Managers" having overall control and responsibility for roughly three sections, answering to WO2/WO1 level.

POET(ME)'s are expected to be section head for up to three sections (This takes around 6 years) before being eligible to take exam/fleetboard for CPO. Pass this and receive "Foundation" Degree in not very much (but still a foundation degree).

No more MEM(L/M). Thats all gone, even though more and more ships use HV as the propulsion medium.
PO's will have to attend PJT's for everything now, as type specific training is also a thing of the past.
Erm, can't think of anything else to add at this time Yannis, hope this give you something to go on mate :)

One further disadvantage of being a 'clanky': occasionally the bridge chimps forget to tell you to fall out from Special Sea Dutymen after the ship has berthed alongside. Mysteriously, this is often followed by loss of hot water supplies to their accommodation spaces for a few days.

Good point, although as an MEOOW1 since 1996 (joined RN 1989) I have always seen it as my responsibility to poke and prod once both shafts are stationary! ;)

scabz

Lantern Swinger
Lamri said:
Old route for Tiff <snipped>
Nowadays.
No more Stoker/Tiff entries.
Everyone joins as Engineering "Technician" (Marine Engineering).
POET(ME)'s are head of sections at sea. CPOET(ME)'s are now "Group Managers" having overall control and responsibility for roughly three sections, answering to WO2/WO1 level.

POET(ME)'s are expected to be section head for up to three sections (This takes around 6 years) before being eligible to take exam/fleetboard for CPO. Pass this and receive "Foundation" Degree in not very much (but still a foundation degree).

No more MEM(L/M). Thats all gone, even though more and more ships use HV as the propulsion medium.
PO's will have to attend PJT's for everything now, as type specific training is also a thing of the past.
Erm, can't think of anything else to add at this time Yannis, hope this give you something to go on mate :)
Just putting the submarine spin on this thread.....
Everyone joins as Engineering "Technician" (Marine Engineering) or, significantly, Engineering "Technician" (Marine Engineering Submarines) because the SM world recruits directly now.
POET(MESM)s will be section heads at sea. CPOET(MESM)s will eventually be the "Group Managers" & Cat A watchkeepers having responsibility for their sections, answering to the 2x WO2s (also Cat As).
To get to POET(MESM)s will require POETQC and the NPOC , with some additional academic training will qualify you for a "Foundation" Degree.
No more MEM(L/M). That's gone, true, but the MESM world retained M/L streaming at LET level, even though the SQ has gone (a competence is being added back to JPA, to identify M from L).
POET(MESM)s will continue to attend career courses as class specific training remains for now.

Latest Threads