Life as a marine engineer

Storky86

Midshipman
Well during the week I don't have the chance to, I plan to go asap. I just think of a question and then come on here to ask it untill i get the chance to actually visit my local AFCO. I won't bother in the future.
 
Pretty much depends on the individual, although there ARE minimum times to do in certain rates before you can take the exam/fleetboard for the next higher rate.(Can't remember off the top of my head though i'm sure NS will tell you)
Pay scales generally go up in annual increments, again, dependant on performance.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Storky86 said:
Well during the week I don't have the chance to, I plan to go asap. I just think of a question and then come on here to ask it untill i get the chance to actually visit my local AFCO. I won't bother in the future.

Storky, you don't have to visit your AFCO to ask specific questions. You can ring or email your nearest one:

Local Careers Ofices

Or if you cannot ring during the working day try ringing 08456 07 55 55 where a real person (not automated) will answer the phone & your queries. Top tip: Write down a list of queries first, then you can get it sorted in one effort rather than spring random queries when they enter your head.

I'd be focusing on passing the test first & seeing what you're able to do rather than wondering how long your shifts are at this stage to be honest.

Don't forget, you don't have to join, but why not start the application process off to see what jobs you could do? Then ask the questions.

You can give the RN/RM a "custard pie" at any stage of the selection process and bin it. If you do join, you've got 6 months to see if you like it, if you don't you're free to leave, after the first 4 weeks by simply giving 2 weeks' notice. There's no cost in leaving.

Good luck!
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Lamri said:
Pretty much depends on the individual, although there ARE minimum times to do in certain rates before you can take the exam/fleetboard for the next higher rate.(Can't remember off the top of my head though i'm sure NS will tell you)
Pay scales generally go up in annual increments, again, dependant on performance.

Whoops, missed that one!

As Lamri correctly said (you should be doing my job, mate!) it depends on the individual how fast you're promoted.

The quickest you can get complete your initial training both ashore & on board (task-book training), that I've seen is about 12 months, but that is really going some & everything has to fall in to place for that to be physically possible.

You will get a pay-rise (government permitting) every April as recommended & approved by the Armed forces Pay Review body. This is normally to allow for inflation, cost of living etc.,

In addition from the day you join up, you will get an incremental pay-rise each "nautical birthday", generally up to nine years worth at any given rank. This is without passing further exams.

If you pass further exams/complete advancement task-books for promotion & are considered suitable for promotion, you will go up to the next rank's pay band above your current incremental level when you get advanced. (Still with me?).

ET(ME)'s are, to the best of my knowledge on the higher pay band until they reach Chief Petty Officer rank (But this is under constant review). And that, is why you'll never see me smile when I open my pay-chit. =(

Signed....

Skint Chief Stoker.
 
Storky, you'll join up, go to Sultan, join your first ship, then wake up about 7 years later in Birmingham covered in vomit with a nice letter from the Navy saying what a good egg you were.

They sometimes make you wander round the ship looking at things making noises. If it isn't making a noise, you use a torch (which the navy supply and works much like the Doctor's sonic screwdriver) to light it up and then scratch your head (with your hand, not the torch).

If the things are making the right noise, they will get you to write "rounds complete" in a big book (you will be shown how to do this), if they are not making the right noise, or no noise at all, you tell people "the fukcin fukcers fukced"(you will be taught this).

Always carry a rag - useful for cleaning spillages from either yourself or the noisy things.

You look at the noisy things in daytime and nightime.

Some people had names for the noisy things - I just counted the shiny things in my shiny cupboard and they left me alone.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
 

Storky86

Midshipman
thanks, i follow you. I like the idea of passing exams and stuff as it is something to keep working on. im so bored with my job at the moment, nothing to aim for and nothing to challenge me.
 

Karma

War Hero
slim said:
Storky86 said:
I have thought about that, but I dnt think they are right, got them in english, psychology and media. dnt really think they could relate.

English and psychology are respectable subjects. I won't repeat my thoughts on media studies.
My advice is try for a commission.

Problem is that those A levels would only allow him to be a bridge chimp or loggie, not an engineer.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Karma said:
slim said:
Storky86 said:
I have thought about that, but I dnt think they are right, got them in english, psychology and media. dnt really think they could relate.

English and psychology are respectable subjects. I won't repeat my thoughts on media studies.
My advice is try for a commission.

Problem is that those A levels would only allow him to be a bridge chimp or loggie, not an engineer.

Good call Karma, but he could join as ET(ME) [New Stoker!] rating then apply as engineering officer from within the service if he's got the basic 5 GCSE's (inc Maths & English).

Then again, with media Studies he could make a short film or newspaper article about it all! :bow:
 
Top