Life as a hand on a RN ship

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by huffnut_cringe, Sep 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me if they loved serving on HM ships at sea and the reasons why?, after serving on a ship I breathed a sigh of relief at being back on a airfield and freedom from daft fishhead routines and customs.

2. I loved being at sea, and onboard ship. Firstly you could count financial reasons, no food or accom to pay onboard, so you were always financially better off. but for me, it was being at sea that I loved, you couldn't beat being mid Atlantic and being on the upper deck during the middle, looking up and seeing all those stars..........it made you realsie how small we all are. As for the routines at sea, well that's part and parcel of life at sea. You have to take the rough with the smooth......

3. Same as T42, loved being at sea, especially if it was rough!
    Nothing like the feeling of getting wedged into your bunk and nodding off being rocked to sleep by the motion of the ship.

I think the atmosphere on board at sea is better, there are fewer distractions less bullshit,and everyone gets on with their jobs. After all most of us joined the navy to go to sea.....(apart from the WAFUS of course :crazy: )

Plus as T42 says, no food and accom to pay...less "distractions" to spend your readies on, and your bar bill doesn't get hammered by lunchtime sessions :thumright:

4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Norman again - pleae don't feed the troll.......

5. I enjoyed doing detachments especially to RFA / Dutch ships, flight deck out of bounds for days at a time retire to the bar for pints, Visiting foreign parts, getting pissed in different countries, doing the job for real in 82, working on the roof in all weathers, working for good sr rates that covered for you when you were pissed in harbour. Even the reggies onboard hermes were half decent bar one.

downers - people like Fido getting us to scrub the flight deck in a storm prior to entering Toulon, fish head officers & fish head s/r rates with chips on there shoulders forgetting they were on an "AIRCRAFT CARRIER", They couldn't get their heads round the fact thats what the ship was designed for.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Well at least "the Fleet" has a history! Routines and customs are what we've been doing for centuries, long before the FAA existed... :roll:

7. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

What Fleet? :dwarf:
    I can't believe you bit Sgt P

8. Silverfox wrote...//
    Norman again - pleae don't feed the troll.......

I dont know who Norman is, but sailors seem to scared of him (her) I have tried to understand naval traditions but they just seem for the benifit of officers and simpletons, for instance a naval airfield operates on its own with operational efficiency, then in comes a fishead commander, and the field is put back 3 decades, to make himself feel at home he has lines drawn across the entrance and calls it the quaterdeck, the guardroom gets useless ships logs, this nonsence goes on and on untill one gets a sigh of relief at being on the airfield and doing usefull work, flying or maintaining. Unfourtunatly we in the FAA have been guilty of letting fisheads have thier own way on airfields, a bit like me going on a submarine and telling them that they must have a windsock on the conning tower and quite rightly they would tell us fairys to piss off.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

C'mon stop feeding me the punchlines!

10. And I thought under the restructuring of Air 2000, the Wafu's became part of the Air Force.

Maybe they feel more at home with the landlubbers. :w00t: :w00t:

11. Norman - There have always been those, like you, who are forever dripping, "If it wasn't for the bl00dy ships and having to go to sea in them, the Navy would be quite cushy."

12. Naval Gazer
    Surely you must realise that this is the wafu section of the site.
    Ships must not be mentioned, they are far too nasty.
    Now go and wash your mouth out! :money:

13. It's this attitude that probably gets fishheads anti Wafu - or 'Flight Deck Cowboys' as they were called during my years.

Even more so when you hear a 16 years served Chief Airman whining on about being at sea for the first time !

Perhaps guys like you should be in Light Blue ?

:p :p

14. Huffnut - if you don't like it **** off.

We are a military organisation built of hundreds of years of tradition and history. Next you'll be saying that the quarterdeck shouldn't be saluted when stepping onto it.

It is a godsend that in this Navy Aiviators don't run things, because according to them the world revolves around them

15. chieftiff

Heavens forbid an RN air station reflecting its RN history or culture! You are a moron, next post will be deleted regardless, enjoy Norman.

16. Only served on an air station for 10 months (Culdrose). The Commander there was a submariner, but didn't introduce any submarine practices - if he didn't know anything, he asked someone who did. Ship's Logs at the Guardroom? - in 14 years working in the Records Department of MoD, I never saw ONE. As far as I can see, this is all about the FAA's own insecurities. Didn't mind being at sea at all, especially as a Sundodger - always something interesting happening and being kept aware of it, and enjoyed doing jobs the average S&S rating would never dream of - Radar, Sonar, Plotting and driving the boat. Happy days !!

17. Isn't second an aviator?

18. I love being at sea, sadly in my line we don't get to do it often enough, that said, however, I can understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea, and you can't know what to expect prior to your first ship. I was lucky with my first (Broadsword 90-93) - best years of my life. And although there have been bad times on subsequent ships - that's life.

I have also served on airstations (on two occasions) and to be quite honest the reverse is true, on both occasions it was with a huge sigh of relief that I returned to the real world.

As a slightly off track point, I can't see why all these negative comments regarding the original posters personal opinion are necessary, I can only assume that the poster has upset people in the past - but I don't see how this post can be upsetting - he may have had a bad experience but all the following posts highlight the good times that the majority have had/will continue to have. Readers will see that it is only one persons opinion and, as they say - different strokes.

19. chieftiff

It's because the original poster appears to have a multiple anonymouse personality disorder of the IP type, has little positive to add to any discussion and enjoys stirring rather than stimulating the discussion. Please feel free to continue with the thread though, it may make him aware of just how out of date he is.

20. flippineck needs to sort his shit out!
    That sort of attitude is what puts the old arguments between the Fleet air Arm and General Service back to fisheads and WAFU XXXX!!
    The Navy has moved on and baby WAFU's train alongside their future ship mates at Sultan.
    I have spent many months on various ships throughout my career, some better than others!! But what I have found is that once you break down the old barriers we are all there to do a job.
    I have spent some of the best times of my life on board, no names no pack drill but a 42's P.Os mess takes some beating for a good bunch of blokes that you can rely on !!!