licence to smoke

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by bikerman, Feb 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is just me but has this goverment going too far by imposing a £10 licence to allow people to buy cigarettes. This just got my back up its just another unforcable law dreamt up by Labours big brother machine :rage:
  2. Article?
    Please elaborate.................................
  3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

4. Would you need one of these licences to buy a carton of B&H of some bloke in your local?
  5. [​IMG]

"My mum buys mine..."
  6. witsend

Fair point joe, you could always buy them off your local asian shopkeeper.

PS,,,,has my mess bill been sorted out yet?
  7. witsend

hahaha,,,, :thumright:
  8. Bang on mate another useless rule..
    When I'm in the UK I like reading the health warnings on ciggie packets; none of them in english of course!
    Can't stand smoking meself, never have. I used to hate it in the RN when the messdeck was full of smokers, f'ing horrible.
    BUT! There are far too many rules saying what we can and can't do.
    Knock! knock! Hello you people in Westminster/Brussels etc give us a break for two minutes please. Have we really been THAT naughty?
  9. Love it, brilliant. But why the filter tips?
  10. I reckon a smoker not only pays for his/her treatment but for a few more besides. Doctors ought to remember that it was them who used to say that smoking cleared the lungs! And you're ony an alcoholic if you drink more than your doctor.
  11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

It's never going to happen, you can just picture the scene........

Dingy pub in liverpool....bloke enters the bar with holdal and furtive glance....

"EEH mate, wanna buy sum ciggies".....

"Why yes my good fello, I shall have two hundred"

"EEH, twenty-five quid mate, and giz a look at yer license..."
  12. Well soak the smoker never goes out of fashion, I always thought that the high tax yield on the price of a packet of fags was funneled into NHS treatment for tabbers, ah well another myth exploded.
    Nanny state alive and well in NZ too, so we won't be far behind, thank God I gave up.
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't smoke. Don't care. 8O
  14. witsend

Don't quote me but i m sure the NHS, can and do, refuse certain treatments to smokers, so it does not matter how much is paid on 20 B&H. Maybe a extra tax may insure the dwingling band of tabbers get any treatment they require. I agree with you that for years tabs were looked upon as harmless, and even as late as the 90's you could collect your stamps each month and buy 600 blue liners or ? Oz of baccie. Hmmmmmmm how much baccie could you draw a month?
  15. Wouldn't this put a stick in your private rights? I gave up smoking a year ago but still think that people have their own minds on what they want to do. Prices of cigs rise every year and now putting a ban on it, just causes more trouble.

This, just seems to be one more step further on trying to control people.
  16. witsend

Is smoking not really a form of self harming?

Just takes longer to get the end results!
  17. So what may be around the corner next?
    Produce your smokers licence on demand by the authorities when having a tab?
    "You're under arrest for smoking without being able to produce your licence"

A licence for the obeses/fat knackers to be produced when buying food - "Sorry, that's licence is only good for skimmed milk, not full fat milk"

A licence for drinkers of alcohol -
    "Sorry, you may only have a soft drink with that licence as our data base says you have consumed your daily limit"

Would the use of such licences slowly build a fuller picture/data base of the way we as individuals carry out our day to day living; yes, it's happening already: oyster cards, loyalty cards and numerous other ways already - only cash is anonymous, all other methods leave a recorded trail of what, where and when. I'm not paranoid, but how long until all this information is seriously abused (or lost).

I detest this shower of control freaks we call a government.

Rant over :threaten: