Libyan no fly zone

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by rod-gearing, Mar 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So Mr Cameron has suggested a no fly zone over Libya.

How does he propose we do that seeing as we have no planes left anymore or aircraft carriers to fly them off?

Perhaps the ex Harrier pilots can be issued with micro lights or hang gliders fitted with air to air missiles.

He should engage brain before his mouth otherwise he might look a bit of a cock.

Oops, to late.:slow:

2. I think the americans might be picking up the bill for that one, although it would be funny if ol CUnteron spend a few weeks pedalling this idea to the UN only for the mericans to say. "We aint bloody doing it"!

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

4. Camerons Quote to the House.

He added: "And we do not in any way rule out the use of military assets, we must not tolerate this regime using military force against its own people.
    "In that context I have asked the Ministry of Defence and the Chief of the Defence Staff to work with our allies on plans for a military no-fly zone."

Isn't it marvellous how the US, Britain have all jumped on the bandwagon in Libya, and Mr Mugabee is totally ignored. And this is supposed to be about freedom from dictatorship and nothing to do with the vast oil reserves. :tp:

5. Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  6. I was watching Sky news this morning and seeing what the resident experts have to say and apparently we can project air power using the Euro fighter and if needed we can use a military ground force. Don't get me wrong I know we have the reputation of being the best and making the most of what we have, but we literally have nothing. Assuming this does escalate I really have no idea what a British fighting force could achieve, also with the likes of Afghanistan happening concurrently there is going to be tremendous strain on the military.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. Libya will never be a No Fly zone, the place is a shithole and flies are everywhere

8. Well Liam Fox is kicking his heels and telling every other defence secretary not to bother penciling in the UK to help,especially as he got rid of 10,000 of the very people that might just be useful in situations like this.

Not one of the idiots has had the good grace to admit that perhaps having an aircraft carrier would be better, logistically and environmentally, than trying to fly a jet over 1,000 miles to enforce any no fly ban.

Though having said that can't we borrow the french or are they going to say its their aircraft carrier and they're not letting us borrow it because they disagree with what we'll use it for?

None of them could organise a party in a brewery.

9. Ninja_Stoker

But, but...surely the French would never disagree with UK with regard armed intervention.

Erm, apart from in Libya it seems: Libya: Russia, China join France in opposing military action against Gaddafi - Telegraph

10. Do you actually know anything about carrier-based air ops, and the limitations on fuel and weapons loads versus land-based?

11. Why have an Aircraft Carrier when you've got Malta ... ?

12. The Maltese Government

13. Politicians never miss an opportunity to grab the limelight. They run down our forces to a laughable size, then gob off on the world stage like anyone would take us seriously.

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Camerunt's idea seems to have been scuppered anyway. Poor, amateur staffwork.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, even the US, with a surplus of carrier-borne aircraft, don't appear too keen to invade another country on the whim of a guy who maybe has the will, but not the means.

16. After spending a year living in Malta, I expect that if the price were to be right then they would oblige.
    The Maltese have a saying that it takes 4 Jews to outsmart one Maltese man.

17. It all posturing by the politicos pandering towards the Daily Wail reading masses - simples!

18. But we don't! The Maltese may or may not oblige us, but they don't have to. We lost that opportunity after we refused Mr Mintoffs' generous offer to let the island become part and parcel of the UK.
    We cheapskated then and are cheapskating now. It has become part of the national character.

19. Two US warships, the USS Kearsarge and USS Ponce, enter the Suez Canal en route for the Mediterranean, after orders from Defence Secretary Robert Gates that they should move closer to Libya