LEWIS PAGE - For Defence Minister

IS-Potential

Lantern Swinger
I heard one was due to dock at Rosyth a few years back, but it was too tall to fit beneath the Forth Rail Bridge so they had to use launches to ferry personnel ashore

Deeps

War Hero
Wave dodger Ive not read the article but if he says bowman is pants in the dismounted role , then he is spot on. It's a load of crap. Bring back clansman. Your techie mate is mistaken buddy.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Deeps said:
Wave dodger Ive not read the article but if he says bowman is pants in the dismounted role , then he is spot on. It's a load of crap. Bring back clansman. Your techie mate is mistaken buddy.

It's not my area of expertise but the LLM team and 3CdoX who I work with closely rate it, can't say more than that. I'm using it for some C2 experiments for ships and I like it for that.

Why do you thinks it pants?

Guns

War Hero
wave_dodger said:
Deeps said:

It's not my area of expertise but the LLM team and 3CdoX who I work with closely rate it, can't say more than that. I'm using it for some C2 experiments for ships and I like it for that.

Why do you thinks it pants?

As someone who has used it in the Maritime it is a very good piece of kit. Too many people have jumped on the band waggon of it's crap cos that's what some squadie told me.

It has its faults but then so does most things (except me as I am perfect). In the Maritime it does not get used properly and until PWO's start gripping it and using it as a force multiplier then it will sit there unloved. I came from an LPD and there is was vital - we had a PO(CIS) who took time to understand it and became an expert - better than some Army/RM Yeoman of Signals I would say.

Clansman is rubbish - I know I suffered it for years - and BOWMAN is a step change. The problem is too many Army people saw BOWMAN as a replacement for Clansman. It is not that. It was a complete change to the way the Army had to work. For us Navy lot less of a change as we had been working Data Networks for decades. BOWMAN - when used properly - is a good piece of kit that delivers. The one area that needs looking at is batteries - in fact across the board too much kit is bought where power supply is poorly thought out.

Thanks Wave Dodger & Guns. How refreshing to have people with current knowledge and a bit of 'nous' dispelling yet another widely-held myth. It always surprised me in JFHQs how often the pongoes and crabs relied on naval comms to get their messages out, e.g. "Can you send one of your 'signal thingies', please?" As for our data links, data recording and displays... they knocked the Army's 'electronic bird tables' into a cocked hat. Best not to go into too much detail here but I'm glad to hear how much things have improved.

Magic_Mushroom

War Hero
Getting this post back on track, it is refreshing to note that Page's lack of credibility extends to the RN.

He is without doubt, the most partial and least well informed defence 'commentator' around today whose grasp of Defence matters is reflected in his strong support for a Trident replacement yet ardent opposition to the MRA4 (or seemingly justification for any MPA) Project. His articles are littered with factual errors and, as already mentioned, is sub 'Daily Star' journalism. To cap it all, he comes across as a bit of a Walt and his claim that membership of a University Air Sqn qualifies him in any way as having 'served' in the RAF is akin to an Air Cadet expecting a DFC for attending annual camp. :roll:

Thankfully, he doesn’t interview well and comes across as a mumbling buffoon (even Mrs Mushroom commentated on that). Therefore, he doesn’t seem to get asked to contribute often on TV.

Interestingly, I have my suspicions that LP contributes to RR!

Regards,
MM