Lewis Page at his "best"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by flymo, Mar 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

No offense but I disagree. He's closer to the mark on this one than anyone else so far and the only journalist who has bothered to get his data from the IAEA instead of Wiki.

The most accurate intel is coming from the International Atomic Energy Authority. They are pretty impartial, they don't know how to spin and are genuinely concerned with mitigating the consequences of the accident.

2. Actually I thought it was pretty well written - he should spend more time in this sort of journalistic arena and forget about any future witterings on the topic of matters military (especially navy)

3. For once he talks sense.

4. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

It pains me to say he is talking sense

5. Oh the embarrassment

6. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

Don't worry. It took the biggest earthquake ever recorded in Japan, a tidal wave which exceeded all design assumptions, 10,000 potential casualties and a Level 4 Nuclear Accident on the International Nuclear Event Scale to make it happen. He'll be back to normal soon

7. Monkeys, typewriters, and the complete works of Shakespeare.

8. Would you care to revisit your statement a few days on? Nobody's died - or even been injured - by radiation, and it looks like nobody will be. He was right on the money when he wrote that article and he's right on the money now.

9. Id wait a few more days before demanding a flymo retraction. Just to be on the safe side. The Rum Ration curse might strike ;)

10. How exactly does one get "injured" by radiation?

Anyway, regardless of the fact that he has somehow managed to blunder into some kind of roughly accurate first few paragraphs, he always finds a way to make a complete tool of himself and not just because he writes like a 16 year old GCSE student.

Nice one.

Now that is an ironygasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  11. Newklear stuff scares me witless (well, from what "wits" I've got left). People do die from radiation - what was the name of that Soviet sub where the nuclear engineers committed the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of their crewmates? However, people may not die or have symptoms straight away - but it will get you in the end :-(

And the bits of hardware that are left behind remain a bit cheeky for a "couple" of years too ...

12. K19. They called it by the nickname Hiroshima in the end. horific. Problem was, the soviet boats werent well built and the party insisted on all details being hidden so the septics couldnt know what was wrong with their boats. Thus few lessons were learned by the soviets until much later. In the case of K19 the control rods lowered but failed to stop the continuing reaction as the fuel rods approached melting point. Combined with a radio system failure things could only get worse

13. I think you'll find the rods went in and shut the reactor down but she had an un-isolable primary coolant leak and couldn't remove the decay heat hence the temperature rise. If the chain reaction continued after the rods hit the bottom they would never have been able to shutdown under normal conditions. Don't know if they ever released the full details because the russians are always tight lipped about these things.