Lewis Page at his "best"

Subsunk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
No offense but I disagree. He's closer to the mark on this one than anyone else so far and the only journalist who has bothered to get his data from the IAEA instead of Wiki.

The most accurate intel is coming from the International Atomic Energy Authority. They are pretty impartial, they don't know how to spin and are genuinely concerned with mitigating the consequences of the accident.

Actually I thought it was pretty well written - he should spend more time in this sort of journalistic arena and forget about any future witterings on the topic of matters military (especially navy)

Subsunk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
Don't worry. It took the biggest earthquake ever recorded in Japan, a tidal wave which exceeded all design assumptions, 10,000 potential casualties and a Level 4 Nuclear Accident on the International Nuclear Event Scale to make it happen. He'll be back to normal soon

G

guestm

Would you care to revisit your statement a few days on? Nobody's died - or even been injured - by radiation, and it looks like nobody will be. He was right on the money when he wrote that article and he's right on the money now.
How exactly does one get "injured" by radiation?

Anyway, regardless of the fact that he has somehow managed to blunder into some kind of roughly accurate first few paragraphs, he always finds a way to make a complete tool of himself and not just because he writes like a 16 year old GCSE student.

LewisPage said:
At Chernobyl, this actually happened inside the containment vessel and the resulting explosion ruptured the vessel, leading to a serious release of core radioactives – though this has had basically zero effect on the world in general nor even much impact on the area around Chernobyl.
Nice one.

LewisPage said:
Ignorant fools are suggesting on every hand that Japan's problems actually mean fresh obstacles in the way of new nuclear plants here in the UK, Europe and the US.
Now that is an ironygasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Id wait a few more days before demanding a flymo retraction. Just to be on the safe side. The Rum Ration curse might strike ;)
Newklear stuff scares me witless (well, from what "wits" I've got left). People do die from radiation - what was the name of that Soviet sub where the nuclear engineers committed the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of their crewmates? However, people may not die or have symptoms straight away - but it will get you in the end :-(

And the bits of hardware that are left behind remain a bit cheeky for a "couple" of years too ...

K19. They called it by the nickname Hiroshima in the end. horific. Problem was, the soviet boats werent well built and the party insisted on all details being hidden so the septics couldnt know what was wrong with their boats. Thus few lessons were learned by the soviets until much later. In the case of K19 the control rods lowered but failed to stop the continuing reaction as the fuel rods approached melting point. Combined with a radio system failure things could only get worse

K19. They called it by the nickname Hiroshima in the end. horific. Problem was, the soviet boats werent well built and the party insisted on all details being hidden so the septics couldnt know what was wrong with their boats. Thus few lessons were learned by the soviets until much later. In the case of K19 the control rods lowered but failed to stop the continuing reaction as the fuel rods approached melting point. Combined with a radio system failure things could only get worse
I think you'll find the rods went in and shut the reactor down but she had an un-isolable primary coolant leak and couldn't remove the decay heat hence the temperature rise. If the chain reaction continued after the rods hit the bottom they would never have been able to shutdown under normal conditions. Don't know if they ever released the full details because the russians are always tight lipped about these things.