Level of detail required for service knowledge in Selection Interview and then AIB?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Sparkasaurus, Jul 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm curious as to the level of detail required for service knowledge during the selection interview and how this progresses to the AIB? For example, being familiar with all the classes of ship, boat, aircraft is something I expect but will I need to know specifications (speed, complement, displacement etc)? Or will a broad knowledge trump detail in this case?

Many thanks!

Sparky

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

3. Blackrat

Sometimes amigo, i just can't be arsed. To be honest, i usually run riot in Lil's and leave the newbies forum alone. Unless there is a spectacular mong here that is.

4. To be honest how hard can service knowledge be?? No T22 No FAA No Aircraft Carriers Hmmmmmm T23 and 45 plus a floating helo deck of a hulk! Thats your navy!!! The good luck won't be needed for you AIB, it will be needed as a future officer running the future lean manpower coastal defence force.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blackrat

My knowledge of the Navy falls into three categories;

Rum
    Sodomy
    The lash

As to anything else, i'm clueless.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sorry, also forgot that we have No T42 either.... In all honest try the Australian navy for a change of scenery, better future prospects and a solid pension plan (As it stands today lol)

7. Blackrat

Australia has a Navy? Blimey. Every day's a school day.

8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Sorry, also forgot that we have No T42 either.... In all honest try the Australian navy for a change of scenery, better future prospects and a solid pension plan (As it stands today lol)"That must have come as news to HMS EDINBURGH!

9. I apologise, I do stand corrected. We have ONE!!! Mighty T42. (Might I add who’s days are numbered) I merely wish to make the point we no longer seem to have a FLEET, whisked away from in front of your eyes faster than a scran counter full of 4 O’clockers. You can play the loyalist and sing praise but the truth is no longer do we have the quality or quantity in man nor fleet.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HMS York still going as well at the moment.

Oh and speak for yourself regarding the quality of man in the Navy, you maybe a gash hand.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  11. You beat me to it.

12. And me. He sounds like a complete cock end and I'm sure he will eminently suited with the Aussies.

13. Cheers Blackrat - much appreciated. Back to Janes it is!

14. They don't have school days though.

15. Thank you Soleil. Helped to verify a few things I'd already found which I'm very glad for.

Another question (sorry to be cheeky). With regards to deployments, the RN page seems to be particularly vague. Apart from the obvious like the HMS Clyde being on patrol around the Falklands, I've pieced together where some ships are/will be based on the latest news articles - would this be enough coupled with the knowledge of the specific Naval operations/operational areas?

16. As far as deployments are concerned, if you are reading Navy News in hard copy each month, that should give you the information you need. Supplement that with browsing the news section of the RN website. Perhaps pin up a map of the globe and draw on it where ships are at the moment.

Don't forget to inform yourself on aircraft and boats and also where the RN (RM) might be active on land.

Identify the roles which the Royal Navy plays - humanitarian relief, anti-piracy, anti-narcotics, fisheries, stuff like that.

You might like this:

A Global Force 2011/12

PS Be able to identify ships from photos of them.

17. Incredible, thanks again Soleil. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Hopefully hearing from the AFCO in the next few days when my interview will be.

The only good thing about being a recent graduate is the copious amount of time I now have to read about the RN and train!

18. might be a good idea for you !!! If you could distinguish the difference between wrens and matelots at the AIB..... :(

• Like Like x 3