Letter from the police to confirm you have no outstanding convictions?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by John the Baptist, Oct 7, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I am applying from abroad (Austria) so the letter (certificate) would be in German. Would that be any good? Its also pricey, like 30 Euros, for a letter.

    Could my local British embassy just provide me with something? preferably for free?

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. Surely being part of Europe the Austrian government pays for translators for every language known to man....or is that just us?

    @Ninja_Stoker one for you :)
  3. Best you hurry up, everything coming from Europe will be in French soon. The English language will become 'persona non grata'
  4. Well it might be that way here too now but i wouldn't hold your breath.
  5. Purple_twiglet

    Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

    Why should the British Embassy spend its time helping your job application?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Because they are paid taxpayer money to do so. But either way. they state on their website they don't do police reports.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I'm not sure that that's their purpose.
  8. Purple_twiglet

    Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

    No they are not. I've done a heck of a lot of work with the FCO, and being a nursemaid for random people isn't one of them.
  9. I guess brits abroad just get their passports out of thin air then, or it must be the random people ID generator. Embassies dont have much of a function if they cant service brits abroad, in say emergencies for example. I didnt see the sign on the door with the "no services for random people" on it :D.
  10. Purple_twiglet

    Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

    Actually a constant bug bear of the FCO is needy people expecting them to magically help them out. A very small number of services exist for genuine emergencies, but the role of the Embassy/HC staff is about working with host nation, not nappy changing.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    For British citizens resident overseas wishing to join the Naval Service, in order to gain security clearance, they have a choice. Either:

    1. Live in UK for five years immediately prior to joining, with no period in excess of 180 days resident outside of UK.


    2. Gain a residency waiver for security clearance by providing a country of residence Police Computer Check to confirm they are free from investigation or unspent criminal convictions. It needs to be in English or officially translated, together with the original. The onus is on the individual seeking employment, not the UK taxpayer.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. janner

    janner War Hero Book Reviewer

    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. I get a free pen? :eek:
    Hooray! I've dipped in for once! :D

  14. Ouch. The paper is a bit tougher than Andrex........
  15. No one said the world owes anyone anything. I simply took issue with someone saying our embassies consider British citizens abroad "random people". I am already knee deep in the application process, and the police check is required, but said nothing of a residency waiver. I have been in contact with RAF, NAVY and ARMY AFCOs and the only one insisting on obtaining a residency waiver is the RAF. Sorry to burst anyones bubble. I am also aware of the kind of people that occupy most embassies. Enough said.
  16. Also its somewhat ironic that people who served the government whine about not owing anyone anything, considering you technically owe the government everything.
    • Old Old x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    I call flash ;)

    From the circumstances described, a residency waiver is required to gain security clearance. Not all trades in the Army require security clearance, or indeed a sense of humour, so that's one way of saving thirty dib-dobs.
  18. I do not usualy spoon feed newbies, But I`m in a good mood today

    follow the link and put criminal record certificate in the search box

    www.help.gv.at - Criminal Record Certificate

    If a criminal record certificate or a criminal record certificate for children and youth welfare contains no convictions it will be written in two languages (German/English).
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Thank you very much sir, your help is greatly appreciated.

    I am indeed a newbie, but we all have to start somewhere after all. I didnt know they do both languages with no convictions. That saves me having to get it translated.

    • Like Like x 1

Share This Page