Letter from the police to confirm you have no outstanding convictions?

I am applying from abroad (Austria) so the letter (certificate) would be in German. Would that be any good? Its also pricey, like 30 Euros, for a letter.

Could my local British embassy just provide me with something? preferably for free?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
I am applying from abroad (Austria) so the letter (certificate) would be in German. Would that be any good? Its also pricey, like 30 Euros, for a letter.

Could my local British embassy just provide me with something? preferably for free?

Thanks in advance.
Why should the British Embassy spend its time helping your job application?

I guess brits abroad just get their passports out of thin air then, or it must be the random people ID generator. Embassies dont have much of a function if they cant service brits abroad, in say emergencies for example. I didnt see the sign on the door with the "no services for random people" on it :D.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Actually a constant bug bear of the FCO is needy people expecting them to magically help them out. A very small number of services exist for genuine emergencies, but the role of the Embassy/HC staff is about working with host nation, not nappy changing.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
For British citizens resident overseas wishing to join the Naval Service, in order to gain security clearance, they have a choice. Either:

1. Live in UK for five years immediately prior to joining, with no period in excess of 180 days resident outside of UK.

or

2. Gain a residency waiver for security clearance by providing a country of residence Police Computer Check to confirm they are free from investigation or unspent criminal convictions. It needs to be in English or officially translated, together with the original. The onus is on the individual seeking employment, not the UK taxpayer.

No one said the world owes anyone anything. I simply took issue with someone saying our embassies consider British citizens abroad "random people". I am already knee deep in the application process, and the police check is required, but said nothing of a residency waiver. I have been in contact with RAF, NAVY and ARMY AFCOs and the only one insisting on obtaining a residency waiver is the RAF. Sorry to burst anyones bubble. I am also aware of the kind of people that occupy most embassies. Enough said.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
No one said the world owes anyone anything. I simply took issue with someone saying our embassies consider British citizens abroad "random people". I am already knee deep in the application process, and the police check is required, but said nothing of a residency waiver. I have been in contact with RAF, NAVY and ARMY AFCOs and the only one insisting on obtaining a residency waiver is the RAF. Sorry to burst anyones bubble. I am also aware of the kind of people that occupy most embassies. Enough said.
Also its somewhat ironic that people who served the government whine about not owing anyone anything, considering you technically owe the government everything.
I call flash ;)

From the circumstances described, a residency waiver is required to gain security clearance. Not all trades in the Army require security clearance, or indeed a sense of humour, so that's one way of saving thirty dib-dobs.

I do not usualy spoon feed newbies, But I`m in a good mood today

follow the link and put criminal record certificate in the search box

www.help.gv.at - Criminal Record Certificate

If a criminal record certificate or a criminal record certificate for children and youth welfare contains no convictions it will be written in two languages (German/English).

Last edited:
Thank you very much sir, your help is greatly appreciated.

I am indeed a newbie, but we all have to start somewhere after all. I didnt know they do both languages with no convictions. That saves me having to get it translated.

Cheers

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Blue Jokes 0
buffer01 Miscellaneous 0
N History 16