Letter from British Armed Forces Federation in The Times.

Seadog

War Hero
Moderator
#1
Letter in today's Times from the BAFF (British Armed Forces Federation)

The Times 29 Dec 06

Sir, Roy Selwyn (letter, Dec 27) asks why 22,500 troops are still based in Germany so many years after the Cold War. The answer is that there is nowhere to put them in the UK. The present state of accommodation for home-based personnel is a national disgrace. It is the result of many years of underfunding for repairs and maintenance, which will require a massive investment to put right.

LT COL RICHARD BARTLE (RETD)
British Armed Forces Federation

www.baff.org.uk

It isn't a Navy League but it's a step in the right direction. Give it your support.
 

dubaipusser

Lantern Swinger
#2
Re: Letter from British Armed Forces Federation in The Times

Seadog said:
Letter in today's Times from the BAFF (British Armed Forces Federation)

The Times 29 Dec 06

Sir, Roy Selwyn (letter, Dec 27) asks why 22,500 troops are still based in Germany so many years after the Cold War. The answer is that there is nowhere to put them in the UK. The present state of accommodation for home-based personnel is a national disgrace. It is the result of many years of underfunding for repairs and maintenance, which will require a massive investment to put right.

LT COL RICHARD BARTLE (RETD)
British Armed Forces Federation
And in the meantime those 22,500 troops plus families plus support infrastructure is putting a massive annual investment into the German economy rather than the UK - absolutely barking and so shortsighted (again)
 
#3
Re: Letter from British Armed Forces Federation in The Times

BAFFs ten point plan:

"6. The federation will not be beholden to any political party, pressure group, or defence industry interest. While supporting the cross-party consensus on the need for robust, adequately-funded but cost-effective forces serving the Nation as determined by the Government of the day, the federation will not be a defence pressure group. The federation will not take a view on matters of defence strategy or operational decisions, although it may raise legitimate subsidiary matters affecting personnel. Parliamentary liaison will be strictly on a cross-party basis."

They can poke it then. I want to spend my thirty quid on a single issue defence pressure group that will lend its support to a political party that will deliver an adequately funded long term sustainable defence policy.
Another apolitical welfare organisation is not what's needed right now, the legion do this better and with more resources.
 
#4
Re: Letter from British Armed Forces Federation in The Times

when point 7 is amended and they get some teeth and balls a chq for £30 will be on its way
 
#5
Re: Letter from British Armed Forces Federation in The Times

Windy said:
BAFFs ten point plan:

"6. The federation will not be beholden to any political party, pressure group, or defence industry interest. While supporting the cross-party consensus on the need for robust, adequately-funded but cost-effective forces serving the Nation as determined by the Government of the day, the federation will not be a defence pressure group. The federation will not take a view on matters of defence strategy or operational decisions, although it may raise legitimate subsidiary matters affecting personnel. Parliamentary liaison will be strictly on a cross-party basis."

They can poke it then. I want to spend my thirty quid on a single issue defence pressure group that will lend its support to a political party that will deliver an adequately funded long term sustainable defence policy.
Another apolitical welfare organisation is not what's needed right now, the legion do this better and with more resources.

Not only that but The Royal British Legion provides legal assistance with personal injury/medical negligence and employment claims free of charge; call 020 7973 7215 - no need to part with £30! :p
 

Old_Hand

Lantern Swinger
#6
Re: Letter from British Armed Forces Federation in The Times

On a slightly different note but still loosely connected to this thread. Has anyone noticed that Russia is pumping millions into her armed forces from revenue earned through gas and oil production. Don't forget that that country is still communist and is being run by an ex KGB person who is starting to throw his weight around. Is the real reason that troops are being kept in Germany because there is a real fear that the cold war is only being held in storage until Russia has built up its military might once again. I suppose only time will tell.
 

copenhagencup

Lantern Swinger
#7
Re: Letter from British Armed Forces Federation in The Times

Old_Hand said:
On a slightly different note but still loosely connected to this thread. Has anyone noticed that Russia is pumping millions into her armed forces from revenue earned through gas and oil production. Don't forget that that country is still communist and is being run by an ex KGB person who is starting to throw his weight around. Is the real reason that troops are being kept in Germany because there is a real fear that the cold war is only being held in storage until Russia has built up its military might once again. I suppose only time will tell.
Sorry old hand I think your wrong, Russia sees its threat from Islamic fundamentalists in the Caucasus, similar to us really then.
 

hammockhead

Lantern Swinger
#8
Re: Letter from British Armed Forces Federation in The Times

Windy said:
They can poke it then. I want to spend my thirty quid on a single issue defence pressure group that will lend its support to a political party that will deliver an adequately funded long term sustainable defence policy.
Another apolitical welfare organisation is not what's needed right now, the legion do this better and with more resources.
Are you aware of these sections of QRRN?

J5.581.
Regular Service personnel are not to take any active part in the affairs of any political organisation, party or movement. They are not to participate in political marches or demonstrations.
J5.588.
Regular Service personnel may become members of civilian trade unions and professional associations in order to enhance their trade skills and professional knowledge and as an aid to resettlement into civilian life. They are not to participate in industrial action or in any form of political activity organised by civilian trade unions or professional associations.
We have discussed the idea of a separate political lobbying organisation before, and the consensus seemed to be that it would be a good thing to have but it was incompatible with the concept of an armed forces federation. The specific proposal on offer did not seem to attract very much support. See this thread.

There is also this thread about specific remits of BAFF and RBL. Just noticed a query at the bottom of the thread and will try to get info.
 
#9
Re: Letter from British Armed Forces Federation in The Times

hammockhead - your right with the references about political allegiances, can you imagine the size of the march if we were allowed to. its because of this that we take whatever the boss says with the usual sputum of party line etc etc whilst bending over the desk.
 

Similar threads

Top