letter explaining actions, regarding criminal convictions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ANDY_224, Jun 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Hopefully this doesn't sound like to much of a stupid question.
    I am up to the interview stage in my application. I have a criminal conviction for a driving offence which the afco has put a waiver on, he has told me to write a letter explaining my actions and just need to know what should I mention other than events? and what way should I format the letter i.e. formal???
    any help would be much appreciated as I want to get this right as the chance at this career is very important to me.

2. Re: letter explaining actions, regarding criminal conviction

Hi Andy!

Welcome to Rum Ration!

Yes to a formal letter. Type it.

Give the details of the conviction - date of the offence - background to what happened - what the consequences were - points etc.

I am assuming that you regret what you did. Express that regret.

This will never ever happen again, will it? Say so.

Just a few off the cuff ideas to start you off.

3. Re: letter explaining actions, regarding criminal conviction

Cheers, appreciate the quick reply means I can get this typed up asap. Don't suppose ya know the likleyhood of my application being accepted by the powers that be for the likes of a driving offence? my test scores where good and my 1.5 miles was 2 mins under the maximum time allowed. I was also in the TA a couple of years ago would this help outweigh my convictions when being considered? cheers again!

4. Acknowledge said actions were wrong and include any reparation agreement that may have taken place.

5. Re: letter explaining actions, regarding criminal conviction

You're welcome.

I can't say about the likelihood of it being accepted but it sounds like your CA is willing to put in a Waiver Application for you, so that's a good start.

On the assumption that you will be interviewed shortly, you might like to check this thread out, especially the essential sixth post, by Ninja Stoker:

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=16589.html

6. Re: letter explaining actions, regarding criminal conviction

Hey, had my interview this morning and passed it so cheers again for the info it's been a great help!!! This forum has definatley been an excellent source info for me during the whole selection process! just needa get my security clearence and wait now.