LET transferring from Navy to RM

Alfie25rn

Hi all,

bit of background first. WE submariner on LET’s course. Done just over five years now but I feel like I’m missing something career wise. It’s always eaten away at me that I should have joined the Marines or Army as a lad rather than the submarine service. I don’t regret my time, I’m 100% more prepared and settled now than I was back then. But I’m not getting younger. I want a more hands on, active and physically demanding role. This year and a half LET’s course has helped me realise that.

Im looking for advice regards to the service transfer I’d have to go through and process. But also taking account I’m half way through a career course. I do have a return of service but I’m under the impression it’s for when I complete it. I’d also be interested to hear about any advice or other options you can think of.

Thanks again

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Hi all,

bit of background first. WE submariner on LET’s course. Done just over five years now but I feel like I’m missing something career wise. It’s always eaten away at me that I should have joined the Marines or Army as a lad rather than the submarine service. I don’t regret my time, I’m 100% more prepared and settled now than I was back then. But I’m not getting younger. I want a more hands on, active and physically demanding role. This year and a half LET’s course has helped me realise that.

Im looking for advice regards to the service transfer I’d have to go through and process. But also taking account I’m half way through a career course. I do have a return of service but I’m under the impression it’s for when I complete it. I’d also be interested to hear about any advice or other options you can think of.

Thanks again
Out of interest, what’s the length of your return of service after killicks course??

soleil

War Hero
Hi all,

Thanks again

Alfie

I think that there might be some coverage for instances like this in Chapters 51 and 52 of BR3.

Return of Service is Ch 53

I'm hoping that you will get a more detailed response from another poster later, perhaps Ninja S, although he's only an occasional visitor nowadays.

To ask specifically about any RM possibilities open to you, consider posting on the special RM forum as a fallback option.

Alfie25rn

Out of interest, what’s the length of your return of service after killicks course??
Two and half years. So I know potentially I could get a transfer approved inside that time but that's depending on clearance. Completing career course would be good for qualifications for eventual civvi side. It's a lot to think about.

Alfie25rn

Alfie

I think that there might be some coverage for instances like this in Chapters 51 and 52 of BR3.

Return of Service is Ch 53

I'm hoping that you will get a more detailed response from another poster later, perhaps Ninja S, although he's only an occasional visitor nowadays.

To ask specifically about any RM possibilities open to you, consider posting on the special RM forum as a fallback option.

Cheers, I appreciate your reply. I will give them a read. Hopefully give me a better understanding.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Not 100% sure what trades they take apart from Wafu's and Medics?
I’m sure I remember stokers being able to as well?!
Anyway, irrelevant really.
If you did leave the course etc. that’s a lot to give up, with regards to civvy quals and all that. Would you still be able to do it age wise (RM) if you completed your ROS?
Also I gather you wanted to keep it slightly off the record as you haven’t asked your Div S.R/ D.O and that’s why you ask on here??

Alfie25rn

I’m sure I remember stokers being able to as well?!
Anyway, irrelevant really.
If you did leave the course etc. that’s a lot to give up, with regards to civvy quals and all that. Would you still be able to do it age wise (RM) if you completed your ROS?
Also I gather you wanted to keep it slightly off the record as you haven’t asked your Div S.R/ D.O and that’s why you ask on here??

Yeah it is a lot to give up. Paycut, qualifications etc. I'm 25 now and will have finished this course at 26. With upper age limit of 32 at RM's that does give me time. I'm not sure the navy would enjoy a transfer request on completion of this course though. Yeah I haven't spoken to my DO or Career manage yet.