Let me have your thoughts

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Garythebook, Feb 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So guys...some of you may know but my short carear in the navy lasted just a few weeks as I broke my kneecaps back in 1982.

Ever since I have had to deal with the fact that i have been in the wrong job since it was forced upon me by the injury.

Its been 25 years since then and i'll always have to live with it. I was accepted as potential officer in RM and it was on course my knees went. I'd always thought that after some time i'd transfer to boats. Only now, do I find that hard to beleive. Age makes you scared. Heights ruin my life and the thought of small spaces freak me out. I managed Torbay, Courageous at Navy Days, although Alliance at Gosport made me feel sick.

My young son (bless him..he's only 7) has only one job in mind, RN! Skimmers, Boats...whatever....he wants the lot, but as top dog!!! Aim high I say!.

I try my best to not show fear for him with all I do. A career in RN would be fab but its up to him.

I guess what I want from you guys is a quick account of how you felt joining boats. Were you scared, excited? Did you always fear something would go wrong? Please let me know if you can.

Cheers chaps

ATB

Gary

2. hi, i was drafted into boats in1965, and did everything i could to get out of it, i deliberately failed my part 1 and 2 training at dolphin, and promptly recieved stoppage of leave till i passed, my part three training took place in faslane aboard the osirus, i failed that to, more stoppage of leave, after three months i passed. and spent the best time of my life serving on the ocelot, cachalot and finishing my time on the oracle, if your son decides to join any service, the submarine service should be his first choice. the comradeship of a submariner is first to none. i am still in contact with eight of the crew of ocelot from forty years ago . and will be meeting most of them for a reunion in march .
    hope this helps

3. The modern V boats are a lot more spacious (comparatively), have you been aboard one?

4. I started in submarines back in 74 - the rating who had originally
    been drafted (as a non-volunteer) deserted! He was later found -
    in Spain, trampling grapes for cash - and he was put in Royal
    Naval Detention Quarters for a while. He was also the only one
    in there with Purple Feet!. So I won his place and was drafted to Dolphin
    for submarine training - the basics of it at least. After this - joined
    Courageous in Plymouth as a Part III clueless trainee submariner.
    Then the hard work started! Bearing in mind that this was when them
    nasty Russians was the enemy and we had submarines that actually
    worked for a living it was training 24/7. You had to become part of
    a dare I say it - an elite team, capable of being banged up in a big
    metal tube for weeks/months on end. (Older and Bolder submariners
    will know what I am on about!). In todays S/M Service - it is most
    definitely different - but all in all - any professional submariner can
    consider himself as being part of an elite branch of the military. I've
    had serving members of the SBS ask "How do you live and work in these
    things for weeks on end then?" (Opossum & Sealion - old diesel boats)
    The answer was always, "We just do mate - we just do...."

5. No we havn't......how do we manage that?

Cheers

Gary

6. To get on a "V" Boat - Join the Peace-Camp outside Faslane Naval Base -
    dress up as Santa - climb over all the Security fencing and just run
    up the gangway screaming and gibbering like a seven badge rockape!
    The Trot Sentry will be so flabbergasted - you'll be in the Control
    Room before you can say "Ban the Bomb!"
    (This worked for one Tree-Hugging Numpty many years ago).
    :lol:

7. Went on a A boat for days jolly off Pulao Tiomin Island, South China Sea. About 18 months later on HMS Tenby, Dartmouth Training Squadron washing paintwork in the fog watching ice bergs float by off Newfoundland, Thinks feck this for a game of sailors I can do this inside a warm submarine and get £1 a day 7/12. Get a request form volunteered, best move ever.

Was I ever afraid, never, bounced off the bottom a few times, re-designed the front upper fin and two scopes on the bow of a passsing merchant and poped down to 800 feet ship, but scared never cos we were invincible in them days.

Nutty

8. I'm a serving submarine officer and I'm about to go inboard to my first shore job after 12 years in seagoing posts. It is a rewarding and enjoyable job with a decent wage but, and here's the big BUT; there is no way I would have stuck at it without the professionalism, hard work, downright resiliance and absolutely AMAZING sense of humour of the people I work with, they make the job and I couldn't think of a group of people I'd rather serve with.

As for safety I've served in 4 different classes of boats and am currently in a Trafalgar class, we work very hard to maintain our safety record and as one of the guys onboard responsible fo maintaing it I have no worries, so relax!

Regards......

9. Thanks to you all for the posts....much appreciated.

10. Tendown

Nice post, welome, its nice to hear from someone with up to date experience some of us never made it past T's, A's, P and O's

Stay around

Nutty

11. Welcome Tendown ,keep your posts coming.