Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Lennox Herald: "Cardross Faslane worker awarded MBE"

Re: Lennox Herald: "Cardross Faslane worker awarded OBE"

Not wishing to be pedantic, but he was actually awarded an MBE.

MBE nice one Jonno, I remember him as a baby faced part three when he joined the Oberon with one Paddy Beattie what a pair of jack the lads does that beat my BEM (bollockings every morning)!! :notworthy:

AuldYin said:

(Oh, so thats only a 'bz', not a 'BZ' then ??)

MBE /OBE - Whatever; recognised, earned and congratulated. Well Done.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from John. BZ .
It was more a comment on the local newspaper getting it wrong.

BZ, I volunteered :roll: for a remembrance sunday on the embankment along with John. A memorable weekend and very humbling meeting a WW2 veteran who won the VC by swimming out of the boat and cutting the anti-submarine nets.

Naval_Gazer said:
witsend said:
BZ, I volunteered :roll: for a remembrance sunday on the embankment along with John. A memorable weekend and very humbling meeting a WW2 veteran who won the VC by swimming out of the boat and cutting the anti-submarine nets.

Was that Leading Seaman James Magennis VC? He suffered terrible sadness later in life.

I'm mistaken and my memory must be mixed up. I can't remember who it was, but it was during the 90's. I was still under the influence of the night before and was being plied with booze on some pleasure craft, berthed on the embankment. I believe it was Thomas Gould. He was confined to a wheelchair and spun a few dits about VC winners. I think he was the last living submariner to have won the VC.

AuldYin said:
Be pedantic as yer like it was an OBE!!!!!!
A CARDROSS man who works at Faslane has been awarded an OBE for helping to deliver the Royal Navy’s largest and most powerful nuclear-attack submarine

Polycell said:
AuldYin said:
Be pedantic as yer like it was an OBE!!!!!!
A CARDROSS man who works at Faslane has been awarded an OBE for helping to deliver the Royal Navy’s largest and most powerful nuclear-attack submarine

To be even more pedantic, the article is wrong on two counts: Warrant Officer 1st Class Coxswain (Submarine) John Ronald HENDREN was not awarded the OBE but was appointed as an Ordinary Member of the Military Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, i.e. MBE (see this London Gazette link). Appointment as an OBE would be for an Ordinary Officer of the Order. People are awarded a decoration but appointed to an order.

Warm congratulations to him in any event.

Latest Threads