Length of training to be a weapons engineer

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Wrightyy, Oct 15, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright here's my issue..
    Just turned 21 and wanting to join the Royal Navy as a weapons engineer on the submarines. I currently have a job paying £40 k a year, I fully understand that I can't join the navy and get the same amount of pay as someone who is qualified. I'm just wondering realistically when could I get my dolphins and be earning a decent wage? Also what is the pay ones aboard the sub earning the full rate of pay including bonuses? I am not joining the navy for money but I don't want to go from esrning £40 k a year to earring £15 k for very

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If joining as a rating, you'll join on £14,784 at todays rates. Pay increases to around £18,300, after week 26.

It takes about 12 months to become a qualified submariner, on average, at which point, you'll be paid supp3 OR2.2 as an ET(WESM), around £19,365 plus about £4,600 Recruitment and Retention Payment (Submarine).

If joining as a WE Officer, the rates of pay are also detailed at the link below.

Rates of pay here, appendix 1A and appendix 2 refer: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/armed-forces-pay-review-body-forty-fifth-report-2016

3. Thanks that's a little more clear. A friend of a friend who's recently left the Royal Navy told me he took £2300 home after tax a month he was full qualified and done one stint at sea. I don't knoe wether to believe him or not as he's known for been a wide boy (chats shit).
    When you say fully qualified does that mean everything and then I'm onto a submarine awaiting to be deployed one I've done a stint st sea what will my pay go up to and how long am
    I expected to wait till ive been allocated a sub to do my first stint at sea. Sorry for going on only the place I've found were I can get decent feedback

4. There is much more in life than just money but give very deep thought as to whether you want to take the economic hit you are contemplating. As an old submariner I know that life in boats is not for everyone and the climb up the greasy pole that is promotion can sometimes be a drag on your sense of humour. I'm not saying don't do it but I am saying think long and hard as to whether what you are thinking of will deliver the satisfaction you are seeking.

5. £2,300 a month (£36,000 per annum) doesn't sound too unrealistic for a qualified submariner at sea, when you include £4,600 RRP(SM) as mentioned by Ninja, and Longer Separation Allowance (variable rate from approx £2,500 per annum and upwards depending on cumulative time spent at sea). If he was a senior Able Rate or a Leading Hand he would probably achieve this. Your pay increases when you are at sea and 'seperated' as you are entitled to the Longer Separation Allowance as mentioned above. If you google 'Longer Separation Allowance' or 'RRP SM' you can find the current rates on open source internet. Hope this helps.

6. Yeah I understand there's more to life than money just wanted to check in the long run my pocket wouldn't be taking that much of a dent so thanks for clearing that one up. Does anyone know usually how long it takes to get your Dolphins and become a full qualified weapons engineer ? Also il be 6 hours from home so that's another thing I've got to consider

7. Ninja_Stoker

The ET(WESM) initial training period is 7 months according to the latest eligibility matrix. Submarine training, after completing the dry phase (ashore), involves the wet (afloat) phase which involves completing a taskbook. The completion of the taskbook depends on the individual and the boat's operational programme.

If you budget for a year to get your kissing kippers (Dolphins), you shouldn't be too far off.

With any luck, an ET(WESM) who has recently completed the new ET(WE) phase two course can give a better insight.

As you'll probably be aware, your initial training will be on the South Coast of England, but once you join your 'Boaty McBoat thing', you'll most likely be based in Scotland, as the name implies.

8. the money is good, but f*** me, you will earn it.

9. Wrightyy Have you actually looked at Fleet service? It might be worth considering, get a feel for the Navy, understand the job roles potentially promote and then look at Submariner down the line. I'm far from an expert on the Navy but from what I understand it is more of a possibility to transfer to submariner from fleet but much harder to go vice versa. Yes the pay doesn't have the submariner part but as mentioned there is more to it than just money. If you end up hating Boats or being 6 hours away from home and in Faslane, you will more than likely apply discharge and all your Boat pay will stop for the final year anyway. You should take a long hard look at what you want and weigh up the pros and cons for both and make a decision on that not just because you think Submarines would be good. I was too considering Submarine service but after taking everything into account I went with fleet service, my circumstances are a little different to most but the same applies. Don't forget this is not just a job. If Sturgen gets her way down the line, then boats might become that bit more appealing anyway!

10. It's General Service (not fleet service)

:)

11. You know what i mean :)

12. If you're on 40k, I really wouldn't bother. Isn't there opportunities to progress further where you are? It will take you a while to be earning 40k in the mob, then even longer to earn above that. By that time you will be sick of it.

Save some money and go on holidays more often if you want travel, at least it's guaranteed and you won't be duty when you get somewhere hot for 2 days.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Every job has its ups and downs, but if it's as awful as some would portray, then the question has to be are they still serving in the Navy and if so, why?

Money isn't always the motivator but for those who've taken on significant financial responsibilities there's always the option of serving a minimum, then joining the RNR on the trained strength or joining the RNR direct, earning a civilian wage which is matched if mobilised and deployed, once trained.