Length of Deployments in Boats.

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Nutty, Jan 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently reading Volume 2 “The Hunted†of Clay Blair’s “Hitler’s U-Boat Warâ€. Blair is a highly respected historian who has detailed a day to day history of the U-Boat operations. Within this he gives many details including the length of patrols.

Long Range U-Boat (cruisers) completed many patrols to the Indian Ocean of a time length of 180 days. The record appears to be 228 days from sailing from a French Atlantic Port to returning to the same port. During the course of these patrols they would not enter any port but refuel from either another U-boat or a Merchant supply ship. German boats were not noted for their consideration of the crews habitation. All of the patrol from shortly after sailing until a day or two before they returned were conducted in hostile waters controlled by allied surface and air forces.

The Eric’s regularly performed 4 month patrols in the Atlantic and up to 7 month patrols further a-field.

Do you think you/we/us D/E men could have managed such patrols. Bombers have two and now apparently three crews to cope with 2 month patrols how would they manage.

What would the RA’s do?

Brief Bio here http://www.usmm.org/duffyblair.html
  2. I think Nutty that you have to look at the time, I suppose in time of war what has to be done has to be done.
  3. I must agree, peace and wartime are two entirely different environments
  4. I read a book when I was at school about a U Boat that did 90 days dived on its escape to Argentina after the war. It was one of the new snort fitted boats, CO was Heinz Shaeffer I believe. Stuff that for a game of sailors - conditions must have been horrendous. 8O
  5. What's this about bombers with 3 crews?
    2 or 1 perhaps....