Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaving

Earn_It

Just a quick q, Ive been in 3 years next may, how many years do you have to serve before you can put your notice in?

I think it is two and half years from the completion of your training, having submitted twelve months notice.

May I ask why you want to leave?

Earn_It

yeah I know its 12months notice, but didnt know if you have to serve 3 or 4 years from when you joined to be able to submit your notice.

Polto

War Hero
Earn_It said:
yeah I know its 12months notice, but didnt know if you have to serve 3 or 4 years from when you joined to be able to submit your notice.

Depends on the branch: You need to serve SITP + ROS before you can submit your notice. BR8748 may give more info - speak to your UPO.

YouAreHavingALaugh

Lantern Swinger
Gombear said:
Gombear said:

Or not!
Actually it only says that you need to give 1 months notice, not how long you have to serve. Soory about that.

Actually, with a good lawyer and lots of money you could go out with one months notice.

And before anyone states you have signed a contract, so did the females that signed thay would leave if they became pregnant.
Only to have a lawyer overturn it and lots of money be paid out.

Etc Etc Etc

YouAreHavingALaugh said:
And before anyone states you have signed a contract, so did the females that signed thay would leave if they became pregnant.

Etc Etc Etc

Yaaaaaawwwwwwwnnn. Oh sorry for my manners, I shall put my hand over my mouth next time.

YouAreHavingALaugh

Lantern Swinger
rosinacarley said:
YouAreHavingALaugh said:

Etc Etc Etc

Yaaaaaawwwwwwwnnn. Oh sorry for my manners, I shall put my hand over my mouth next time.

Not meant to be a dig at females, but an example of the way many of the MOD actions are overturned when civilian lawyers are involved, another example would be the large changes to court martial procedures that had to be made.

YouAreHavingALaugh said:
rosinacarley said:
YouAreHavingALaugh said:

Etc Etc Etc

Not meant to be a dig at females, but an example of the way many of the MOD actions are overturned when civilian lawyers are involved, another example would be the large changes to court martial procedures that had to be made.

No it was a dig at lawyers, of which I may or may not be one!

You can blame, should you wish to, the EU for the whole pregnancy thing - its just a little matter of the outlawing of sexual discrimination. And as to the CM, I am presuming that you are referring to the changes brought in after the HRA 1998? If you are, IMHO there were not so many changes that were unjustifiable on other grounds.

NotmeChief

Banned
Earn_It said:
Just a quick q, Ive been in 3 years next may, how many years do you have to serve before you can put your notice in?

Bit of a wimp are we - can't take it, want to go home to mummy.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As correctly stated, it depends what branch you joined.

In most cases you must complete your SITP, complete 2.5 years return of service, then submit 12 months notice.

Those who joined as student nurses, artificers & comms techs cannot submit notice until 3.5 years after completing their SITP.

Messdeck lawyers aside, of course.

Earn_It

NotmeChief said:
Earn_It said:

yes I cry myself to sleep in my pit most nights and all my shipmates ridacule me :cry:

alacrity174

War Hero
Earn_It said:
NotmeChief said:
Earn_It said:

yes I cry myself to sleep in my pit most nights and all my shipmates ridacule me :cry:

Well mate you must be a bit of a to$$er as 3 years aint a long time at all. Plus if you had any common sense you would know that the RN has a Divisional system for these type of questions. In short go see your bloody DO sprog.

slim

War Hero
The RN is not the life for everyone so what is wrong with leaving if a change of mind, change of circumstances or even change of skiddies mean that you want a change of career?
However it is probably better to try and sort out the reasons behind your decision to leave. If the problems are insurmountable then leave, but perhaps the problems are of a minor nature and could be rectified by something as simple as a draft.
As someone has said, the RN has a great divisional system, use it.

NotmeChief

Banned
Earn_It said:
NotmeChief said:
Earn_It said:

At least you can answer in true jack style - well done. Got anything planned for when your outside?

Earn_It said:

Hello Earn_it,

Adding this latest thread to your previous inquiries of January at http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=11856.html it appears that you are genuinely unhappy and probably feeling unable to take your troubles to your immediate Divisional Superiors.

Seen from the Official Viewpoint - You owe the RN for their large investment in your recruitment, training and administration.

But my initial advice would be to seek out the Chaplain or their Staff for an interview.

This will be quite confidential and there are ways and means for their ilk to point wheels in the right direction and to grease the tracks, too, if need be. Medical? Well, clinical depression is not unknown and it is treatable.

Beyond that, I believe that you still have the right to submit a “Request to see the Captainâ€, or OiC of your unit, “On a Private Matter.â€

If you have lost your original zeal for the Navy it is possible that another/shore draft could be arranged; during which time the root cause of your dissatisfaction would be assessed and dealt with. A lot of ‘Ifs’ but this could lead to an earlier discharge than your service time currently entitles you to. It has happened; during my service I was an Apprentices DO for a couple of appointments…..

At ARRSE, and RR, there are several instances of those desperate to rejoin after previously having left for reasons which appeared to be quite justifiable at that time. Most had long and not always successful waits. Keep that foremost in your mind.

To other poster and lurkers: I offered these few words out of genuine concern for someone whom I hope is not laying a bait. Could you therefore please wind your necks in just for now? It may be that this person has already suffered enough on the messdeck.

Finally for Earn_it: Try and cheer up for now and be careful what you post on here next or you could be shredded with Jack’s cheeky but sometimes useless advice.

Bob

PS If this IS a bite – I give in, I was well-hooked.

daffy1

War Hero
Hello Earn it i left the marines last year and i all ready regret it hence i am rejoining the divers branch. I got a job in warehouse management a few months back. It pays just over 30k but the job it self is total shit, the civies i work for constantly need supervision just to put a box on a pallet, constant fag/coffee breaks more than the military and as soon as it hits 5 the place is empty. What im trying to say is that you may think the grass is greener on the other side, you might even find a better job with better pay but you will always look back on Navy life and deep down you do miss it. I can promise you now you will never meet such good bunch of lads out side military life, no one in civie street gives a toss about your Naval service and they take you for granted (there are a few out there that value us). Civie life is hard work, no fun and everything is expensive.

Take the advice of what the others have said and see if you can sort out your problems, only look at putting your chit in as the very last option.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS £7 million for vulnerable pupils leaving Alternative Provision MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leaving lockdown together: Why we are better united against coronavirus MoD News 0
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Unique 300 year old scientific drawings at risk of leaving the UK MoD News 0
J Getting a job after leaving rn Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS New service to provide enhanced support to personnel leaving the military MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vital new support for young people leaving care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Alun Cairns reassures Holyhead Port staff that leaving the EU with a deal remains the UK Government’s top priority MoD News 0
vauxhall Support for Families Leaving the Services - Plan Early Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Leaving the EU: BEIS issues advice for business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Major new scheme launched to support young people leaving care MoD News 0
vauxhall Leaving with a Resettlement Grant? Mind the Gap! Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Leaving Regular Service & Re-joining the FTRS Finance & Pensions 12
D Regulations on leaving training pipeline? - SIFT interview Joining the Royal Navy 1
Donatello Joining after leaving RM recruit training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
V Leaving an apprenticeship to join? Joining the Royal Navy 13
G Leaving gift The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 11
Subsunk Leaving Harbour Brief and Entering Harbour Brief The Quarterdeck 32
L Leaving at 12 yr point Finance & Pensions 9
Ash Rich Why are so many engineers leaving? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
F Leaving School and Joining The Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
noelweller Looking to join, but leaving the police... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
S Re-joining within a year of leaving The Quarterdeck 16
G HMS Raleigh offical leaving summer dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
F How to get NVQ`s since leaving the MOB? The Quarterdeck 11
O Leaving terms for an Officer. The Fleet Air Arm 1
W Lump sum and Pension on leaving Finance & Pensions 7
FunkyJunky £10k resettlement grant/leaving UPO 6
scouse Fleet leaving Portland harbour The Fleet 9
K Mess undress post leaving the RN Social & Reunions 68
trelawney126 Leaving / Entering Harbour Routines History 31
C Leaving the RN Finance & Pensions 33
C leaving the country during recruitment process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
C Leaving the Navy? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 9
A Leaving Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Apple_Catchers There is a bus leaving from Bretonside. The Gash Barge 16
G Leaving the Forces? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
P If your Leaving This May Help The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
FunkyJunky Leaving the RN and join the RFA RFA 3
I imgettingout - A book about leaving the Armed Forces The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
I imgettingout - A book about leaving the Armed Forces The Book Club 0
J Leaving RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 13
smeeg The cnut is leaving! Current Affairs 40
richardgriffiths Leaving for Raleigh soon, what is everyones weaknesses? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
F leaving navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 65
N Leaving College Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Sparrowhawk01 So glad I'm leaving Diamond Lil's 44
S Leaving the Corps The Corps 7
M leaving after 28 days Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
P Leaving the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9