Leaving the mob RN

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by hobbit, Jul 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recalling the various comments made by Jack in preparation for his occupation after leaving the service one that springs to mind in relation to Australia is ' Fire chief Alice Springs ' a long way from the oggin . Another favourite was , ' I'm going to put an oar on my shoulder and start walking away from the sea and when somebody says what's that I'll stick it in the ground and that's where I'll stay . The sea beckons though and I still love it .
  2. My next ship is citizenship...
  3. I think the oar trick these days may be problematic certainly over here with all the yuppy flats being built on the shore, you may not get far from the dockyard gate before some one says whats that.

I agree you can leave the mob but leaving the sea is different, I have just moved and can once again see the sea from the house, just. I still sail and when I retire plan to spend a large chunk of the year on my yacht, some where a bit warmer.
  4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I first heard the oar joke froma Dutch officer in 1967 - I didn't know then that it was in the Iliad.
  5. Look out for the plagiarism police they'll getcha ,

There can be few better examples of mans' love of the sea than this ,

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
    And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
    And a gray mist on the sea's face, and a gray dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
    Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
    And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
    And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
    To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like
    a whetted knife;
    And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
    And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

John Masefield

Beautiful innit

Please note the ackowledgement plagiarist police
  6. Spike Milligan published a version of this:

"I must go down to the sea today,
    to the lonely sea and the sky;
    I left a vest and a pair of socks
    I wonder if they're dry?"

...chokes me up every time!
  7. Good luck getting away from the Mob, you can't, they're everywhere.

Even here in sunny Dubai, there are visiting ships, various UK programmes on the telly. No escape.
  8. Can't get much further from the sea then here near Brum..but we have a few visiting ships come by now and then on the local canal!! "Ark" tied up not so long ago and the local canal pub was overrun with ferking matelots.. :w00t:
  9. In deepest darkest Hereford I miss the sea bigtime and when I retire I shall get me one of they cottages down on the coast. Weymouth or Debn, ain't decided fully yet. When I open the back door I want sand to blow in and shite hawks screeching all around (I know it will drive me spare but please give me time to get fed up with the little bleeders).
    So when I've been at the coast a number of years I'll long for the green fields and bulls of Herefordshire again. Therein lies the problem....when away I wanted to be back among the local yokels and when at home I wanted to be out on the bounding blue, or under it...........I'm never going to win this one....ever!!!!
  10. I'm in Stoke, miles from the sea, no carriers on the canal, but I still bump in to ex-matelots. Strangely enough it's nearly always in pubs :)
  11. John Masefield did not write ships, he plagiarized it from Uncle Albert :thumright: