leaving the country during recruitment process

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by COMMODus, Sep 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How long can an applicant leave the country for during the recruitment process? I understand some elements of it have to be renewed eg pjft, medical.
  2. I came on to ask the exact same question!
  3. i left for a few month for work placement, 4 and a half to be precise. I had no problems but that maybe because i was in the EU.
  4. I was out of the country for 11 months working in France/Portugal. It probably delayed my application a bit but other than that no problems.

From what I remember of what my AFCO told me if you're abroad for up to 6 months - no problem, 6 - 12 months they have to apply for a residency waiver, more than 12 months - look for another job. Obviously the country your visiting/working in/whatever will have some bearing on this.

The usual disclaimer applies: I could be talking a load of old arse - best bet is to check with your AFCO.
  5. thanks, that is interesting. i would probably be away for up to 12 months and not longer.
  6. Im going to sound stupid now but oh well.... what reason is this for? and why does it depend on which different countries and different time frames?
  7. Some countries are really bad with lots of nasty people in them and they may try to make you into a baddie just like them.

Other countries are ever so nice and the people are wonderful and always smiling, so going to live with them is positively a good thing.
  8. haha, soooo who decides and can you find out if where you plan to go would be accepted?
  9. The milkman.

Window cleaner at a push.
  10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't go to Thailand. Or Morocco. A young piece of skin like you will be ragged, bagged and tagged so quickly and often, it'll takes weeks for your prolapsed pink glove to retract.
  11. You speak from personal experience??
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

How very dare you! I was never skin, unfortunately... :oops:
  13. I was advised not to travel to China
  14. It's easy to get in, there are a lot of chinks on the border.