Leaving the Corps

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by s6270, Jul 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I'm leaving the Marines next year and am trying to find out if when you leave you get put straight on a reserves list in the same way as army leavers do. For example when people leave the army they become regular reserves meaning they can apply for deployments or posts just as TA soldiers can but without actually joining the TA. Does anyone know if it is similar when leaving the Marines or do we have to join RMR?

Cheers

2. Not sure about the rules now, but I think it depends on how much time you have done? Also how you left, PVR, end of service, or engagement.

3. You might be thinking about your reserve liability. This means that you can be recalled for active duty for the next XX amount of years in case of a national emergency/war. Many people were recalled for the Falklands and other similar occasions. You do not have to join the reserves, unless of course you want to.

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

You'll go on the reserve list with x amount of years to do on it depending on how long you've already served, as a very rough rule of thumb the less time served the longer you'll be on the list.

You'll not get bothered if you dont want to be, obviously if there just happens to be a major conflict and ex servicemen are re-called to the colours then all bets are off and pack your bags. You dont have to do anything daft like parade once a year for a kit inspection or inform anyone of your whereabouts.

5. Here's the information you need. Recall for service of officers and former servicemen

6. They've got Bob Hope if they think they could call me back.

7. Thanks for the replies. I now understand the recall part of being on the reserves list but how does volunteering for deployments work? RMR lads can request to go on certain deployments and in the army both the TA and ex regulars can request. The ex regulars don't have to be in the TA but I don't know if the same applies to ex royal or whether we have to join RMR to volunteer

8. you can get a waiver if you are working overseas, no doubt there are other options for waivers