Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaving RNR

JimDerDog

Quick one - are there any requirements about giving notice when you want to leave?
I have had enough but dont just want to disappear, would like to go in and resign properly.
All advice gratefully received.

Jimderdog

2_deck_dash

War Hero
I assume it's fairly similar to the TA in that you submit 3 months notice and then they tell you to hand in your kit and ID card and fcuk off.

In practice most people just send an email saying they won't be coming any more and they come in and hand all the gear back the following drill night.

chrisj09

Lantern Swinger
when i was in the RNR i handing my notice in on the 26th may then joined raleigh full time on the 30th may so i dont think there really is any requirments.

dunkers

War Hero
30 days' written notice with an exit interview with the CO. I know as I left recently. You remain liable for mobilisation 28 days after your resignation is accepted. Put in a letter to the CO along with a request form signed by your DO.

You will return your ID card and AGR for sure; your mileage may vary on the rest of the kit.

PartTimer

War Hero
dunkers said:
30 days' written notice with an exit interview with the CO. I know as I left recently. You remain liable for mobilisation 28 days after your resignation is accepted. Put in a letter to the CO along with a request form signed by your DO.

You will return your ID card and AGR for sure; your mileage may vary on the rest of the kit.

If you ever got issued an AGR of course. Beware however - as a Call Out Order is in force the RNR can (and does - I have know it happen to a friend of mine) reject an application to resign. It's in the small print when you sign up! Generally of course they do not but it's something to bear in mind.

Edited to add - current Call Out Order for "Iraq and the Gulf" here.

Amazingly, a current one for Flood Relief in the UK here.

Can't find the one for Herrick at the moment, but you get my drift.

Further edit - got the the Herrick one - here.

JonnoJonno

Banned
From your previous posts it appears you are an Officer.

Mess Webley is over there, you commitment-phobic mummy's boy.

2_deck_dash

War Hero
JonnoJonno said:

We don't have mess Webleys in the RN, the done thing is to simply jump off the arse end of the ship in the middle of the night while crossing the Atlantic.

In some cases it takes weeks for anyone to even notice they have gone.

JonnoJonno

Banned
2_deck_dash said:
JonnoJonno said:

We don't have mess Webleys in the RN, the done thing is to simply jump off the arse end of the ship in the middle of the night while crossing the Atlantic.

In some cases it takes weeks for anyone to even notice they have gone.

Presumably their absence is noticed when widespread moral and efficiency breaks out?

PartTimer

War Hero
dunkers said:

As he appears to be an Officer, from my letter on joining:

Unless a Call-out Order is in force at the time, you may apply to resign from the Active List or retire voluntarily with at least one month's notice in writing to your Commanding Officer.

JimDerDog

Thanks one and all for your replies - greatly appreciated - even the less than complimentary ones...
While 5 years may not make me a proper salty sea dog like you lot, I hope that it showed a certain amount of commitment.
Thanks again

The commitment-phobic mummy's boy
PS - tried the mess webley but missed and they don't allow us near ships very often in case we break something so jumping not an option.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
JimDerDog said:
PS - tried the mess webley but missed and they don't allow us near ships very often in case we break something so jumping not an option.

Mate. If you need a hand, i'm a marksman. You Navy types couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Best of luck, JimDerDog, whenever you get bored try the HAC.

2DD will put a good word in for you and you can then split the HAC recruiting bounty between the two of you.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
dunkers said:

I took Leave of Absence for 12 months - when the unit contacted me with a date by which I had to return, they received my ID card along with my written resignation. My interviews, such as they were, had been conducted prior to my going on LOA; in my case I was in the process of taking up a temporary work assignment in Canada which during the 12 month period of LOA became permanent so attendance at the unit would have involved a journey of a little more than the 50 miles that pusser was happy paying!

Deckhead_Inspector

Lantern Swinger
Leaving is simple. Serve 26 years or so then find something more interesting to do and go to the unit fewer and fewer times a month. Get a letter from some one you have never met in an office you have never been to down south and go down to the Unit for one last time and get offered beers by all the people who will miss you. Refuse them and buy them one insted and never go again. Worked for me. 8)

ps. The Wardroom used to have a pair of Brownings and if there were no officers the MCMV would never have left the wall. So I supose you wouldn't notice the difference in today's RNR.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Leaving the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9
MoD_RSS £7 million for vulnerable pupils leaving Alternative Provision MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leaving lockdown together: Why we are better united against coronavirus MoD News 0
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Unique 300 year old scientific drawings at risk of leaving the UK MoD News 0
J Getting a job after leaving rn Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS New service to provide enhanced support to personnel leaving the military MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vital new support for young people leaving care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Alun Cairns reassures Holyhead Port staff that leaving the EU with a deal remains the UK Government’s top priority MoD News 0
vauxhall Support for Families Leaving the Services - Plan Early Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Leaving the EU: BEIS issues advice for business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Major new scheme launched to support young people leaving care MoD News 0
vauxhall Leaving with a Resettlement Grant? Mind the Gap! Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Leaving Regular Service & Re-joining the FTRS Finance & Pensions 12
D Regulations on leaving training pipeline? - SIFT interview Joining the Royal Navy 1
Donatello Joining after leaving RM recruit training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
V Leaving an apprenticeship to join? Joining the Royal Navy 13
G Leaving gift The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 11
Subsunk Leaving Harbour Brief and Entering Harbour Brief The Quarterdeck 32
L Leaving at 12 yr point Finance & Pensions 9
Ash Rich Why are so many engineers leaving? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
F Leaving School and Joining The Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
noelweller Looking to join, but leaving the police... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
S Re-joining within a year of leaving The Quarterdeck 16
G HMS Raleigh offical leaving summer dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
F How to get NVQ`s since leaving the MOB? The Quarterdeck 11
O Leaving terms for an Officer. The Fleet Air Arm 1
W Lump sum and Pension on leaving Finance & Pensions 7
FunkyJunky £10k resettlement grant/leaving UPO 6
scouse Fleet leaving Portland harbour The Fleet 9
K Mess undress post leaving the RN Social & Reunions 68
trelawney126 Leaving / Entering Harbour Routines History 31
C Leaving the RN Finance & Pensions 33
C leaving the country during recruitment process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
C Leaving the Navy? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 9
A Leaving Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Apple_Catchers There is a bus leaving from Bretonside. The Gash Barge 16
G Leaving the Forces? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
P If your Leaving This May Help The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
FunkyJunky Leaving the RN and join the RFA RFA 3
I imgettingout - A book about leaving the Armed Forces The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
I imgettingout - A book about leaving the Armed Forces The Book Club 0
smeeg The cnut is leaving! Current Affairs 40
richardgriffiths Leaving for Raleigh soon, what is everyones weaknesses? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
F leaving navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 65
E Leaving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
N Leaving College Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Sparrowhawk01 So glad I'm leaving Diamond Lil's 44
S Leaving the Corps The Corps 7
M leaving after 28 days Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12