Leaving Regular Service & Re-joining the FTRS

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Did you know that if you leave Regular service with a deferred AFPS15 pension...

The post Leaving Regular Service & Re-joining the FTRS? appeared first on Forces Pension Society.

The Forces Pension Society - Fighting for the forces and their Families
Quick question @vauxhall :

Those who left the regular service on AFPS 75 and in receipt of that pension and re-employed in an FTRS role which can only be undertaken by a person with military experience are subject to pension abatement.

This abatement is a Treasury issue I understand. It caps your combined wage and pension to keep it below your last day's active service.

For example, a person leaving the RN on AFPS75 and joining the RFA would not have their pension abated as the RFA does not require prior military experience.

Now that civilians employed by Capita, with zero military experience (Earning between £45-60K p.a), undertake the exact same job job formerly and exclusively undertaken by military personnel (who earned between £30-£45K p.a), does this now mean those in receipt of AFPS75 pensions in FTRS billets, will now have their pension abatement refunded?

By way of an example, my pension has been abated for 15 years FTRS service and I currently have £500 a month deducted, before tax.

martinsea

Quick question @vauxhall :

Those who left the regular service on AFPS 75 and in receipt of that pension and re-employed in an FTRS role which can only be undertaken by a person with military experience are subject to pension abatement.

This abatement is a Treasury issue I understand. It caps your combined wage and pension to keep it below your last day's active service.

For example, a person leaving the RN on AFPS75 and joining the RFA would not have their pension abated as the RFA does not require prior military experience.

Now that civilians employed by Capita, with zero military experience (Earning between £45-60K p.a), undertake the exact same job job formerly and exclusively undertaken by military personnel (who earned between £30-£45K p.a), does this now mean those in receipt of AFPS75 pensions in FTRS billets, will now have their pension abatement refunded?

By way of an example, my pension has been abated for 15 years FTRS service and I currently have £500 a month deducted, before tax.
As anything changed since you posted this thread?

vauxhall

Lantern Swinger
No. The line is that FTRS posts are subject to previous military experience and thus abatement applies. To the best of my knowledge and belief there are no changes in the pipeline.

I have responded to your PM

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As anything changed since you posted this thread?
Unfortunately not, as stated by vauxhall.

At present my pension is abated by over £14k a year, never to be returned & my combined income (FTRS pay & pension) is now £250 a month less than when I commenced FTRS due to promotion. Life in a blue one.

martinsea

Unfortunately not, as stated by vauxhall.

At present my pension is abated by over £14k a year, never to be returned & my combined income (FTRS pay & pension) is now £250 a month less than when I commenced FTRS due to promotion. Life in a blue one.
Nobody seems to know the simple answer that I want even JPAC haven't got a clue all I want answered is how much of my repeat my pension are you going to have and how much on HC as a grade 5 PO ex RN from 1996 are you going to pay me...until then I will not commit and work in London for 28k a year by the sounds of it

martinsea

Nobody seems to know the simple answer that I want even JPAC haven't got a clue all I want answered is how much of my repeat my pension are you going to have and how much on HC as a grade 5 PO ex RN from 1996 are you going to pay me...until then I will not commit and work in London for 28k a year by the sounds of it
you would get more stacking shelves in Tesco

Polto

War Hero
You just find out what the pay rate is for a regular PO of your branch, deduct the x-factor (roughly 14-15%) and you are left with what will be your basic in the FTRS post. You will then be paid the 14-15% from your pension. The rest of the pension is in abatement. So FTRS HC basic pay + pension draw down = basic pay of a regular. The UPO will find it hard to answer your question because they don't deal with pensions.

martinsea

You just find out what the pay rate is for a regular PO of your branch, deduct the x-factor (roughly 14-15%) and you are left with what will be your basic in the FTRS post. You will then be paid the 14-15% from your pension. The rest of the pension is in abatement. So FTRS HC basic pay + pension draw down = basic pay of a regular. The UPO will find it hard to answer your question because they don't deal with pensions.
Now it makes sense

vauxhall

Lantern Swinger
What happens to my pension once they take out the 14% do I still get it? Or is it stopped
Your last Regular rate of pay will include your X Factor. So that is the base line. Inflation is then added to that base line figure to take account of the time since your Regular service ended. Your new rate of pay plus your pension is then compared to the inflated base line figure.

Polto

War Hero
What happens to my pension once they take out the 14% do I still get it? Or is it stopped
It is abated. You dont get it. That's what abatement means. You cant work for the crown and get a full pension and full pay. Otherwise there would be no point in being a regular.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
My slant is there are many advantages and disadvantages with FTRS Limited & Home Commitment, too numerous to mention.

The bottom line is if you want to be in receipt of your pension after your 22+, but remain in the mob in a non-deployable role, then you are pretty much locked-in to a mark-time rate of pay for the duration you are FTRS, capped your last day's regular service rate of pay (plus annual pay rises, if they bother giving you any).

Status as an FTRS (LC/HC) service person is peculiar as you are neither regular OR reserve and have none of the advantages such as Annual Bounty, Medical, Dental, Home to Duties, entitlement to SFA, SSSA or service accom.

Unless you get FTRS Full Commitment as a PO, working in London, you'd be better off flogging the Big Issue and protesting about climate change, frankly.