Leaving Harbour Brief and Entering Harbour Brief

Subsunk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
As it says on the tin... I'm doing some preps for the 200 Tonne Master's oral exam. The syllabus covers preps for entering and leaving harbour, and I remember that the standard RN brief format pretty much covered the lot.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a template for this briefs? Many thanks in advance.

Mmmmmmmmm fancy an Ops person forgetting the Engineering Brief from MEO/WEO saying that the vessel is in a fit state and actually capable of sailing safely to its destination..........Strange that, no engineers and you'd be in a floating bath tub.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Absolutely no knowledge of the subject, but I'd have thought a civilian vessel would not have as many available propulsion, navigational & communication options and configurations to worry about.

A civilian brief would surely include a one-liner about anythng not working, rather than the inclusion of two additional people expressly employed to drone on about what bits of kit actually works this week & what doesn't or who is going to be wearing what on the upper scupper ;)

Entering Gibraltar Harbour dived was a bit of a laugh. Surfacing in the middle of
it was even more surprising to FOGIB. Skips just wanted to see if it could be done.

It could.

Billy I think that was the breed of boat skippers, it was their toy and they wanted to test its limits, and to be the first smart ares to do it.

There again seen a skimmer with either the Jimmy or skipper water skiing of the back?

What the harbour station for that? Close up for high speed playing?

Mmmmmmmmm fancy an Ops person forgetting the Engineering Brief from MEO/WEO saying that the vessel is in a fit state and actually capable of sailing safely to its destination..........Strange that, no engineers and you'd be in a floating bath tub.
Aaah! Going out under power then. Carry on. :cool:

Then there is always the ME/WE chicken OPDEF brief, which goes up first the Purple or the Green umbrella to say not fit to sail? once declared it is amazing how many little bits need a fix from the other department?

We once had the List 5 RNR First Officer of the old P&O cruise liner Oriana embarked for 'sea training' and his OOW handover brief was "Two burning, two turning, both swimming pools empty, heading that way."

sootblower

Lantern Swinger
Typical, forget about the engineers. Classic RN error. Maybe the brief needs to be conducted in French or English Simplified for the French & US engineers!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
scouse The Fleet 9
trelawney126 History 31
Navy1 The Fleet 24