Leaving Harbour Brief and Entering Harbour Brief

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Subsunk, Dec 19, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

As it says on the tin... I'm doing some preps for the 200 Tonne Master's oral exam. The syllabus covers preps for entering and leaving harbour, and I remember that the standard RN brief format pretty much covered the lot.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a template for this briefs? Many thanks in advance.
  2. Met, passage to pilotage point, pilotage, intentions for coming alongside, CBM's brief for ropes and wires, XO's safety brief, CO's overall comments.
  3. Mmmmmmmmm fancy an Ops person forgetting the Engineering Brief from MEO/WEO saying that the vessel is in a fit state and actually capable of sailing safely to its destination..........Strange that, no engineers and you'd be in a floating bath tub.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. There are other things I missed out as well. I just gave the dabber stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Absolutely no knowledge of the subject, but I'd have thought a civilian vessel would not have as many available propulsion, navigational & communication options and configurations to worry about.

A civilian brief would surely include a one-liner about anythng not working, rather than the inclusion of two additional people expressly employed to drone on about what bits of kit actually works this week & what doesn't or who is going to be wearing what on the upper scupper ;)
  6. Just pipe leave and everyone's happy.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Their Lordships, in their infinite wisdom, made a training film for use by all potential nautical types. Here it is:

8. Except the Duty Watch...................
    • Like Like x 1
  9. And any duty married when returning to base port, in fact any duty married men, first night in any port
  10. http://www.harrisonmaritime.com/crewtrainmcamasterprep.htm

That about covers it Subsunk, no shortcuts I´m afraid, and you`ll be fortunate not to be questioned on something from each part of the course, the upside when you pass is that you will know that you are very good at what you are doing, the downside is that you will very soon discover how many t###s are paying for their tickets.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

That makes you an expert in some jurisdictions.
  12. I have seen a few on the Bridge with the same knowledge as Ninja but unfortunately trying to blag otherwise, skipper soon had their number, blind pilotage in and out of Portland Harbour.
  13. Entering Gibraltar Harbour dived was a bit of a laugh. Surfacing in the middle of
    it was even more surprising to FOGIB. Skips just wanted to see if it could be done.

It could.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Billy I think that was the breed of boat skippers, it was their toy and they wanted to test its limits, and to be the first smart ares to do it.

There again seen a skimmer with either the Jimmy or skipper water skiing of the back?

What the harbour station for that? Close up for high speed playing?
  15. Diesel boat. Canadian head-case CO. Say no more.

(Amended - sorry, still waking up)
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  16. Happened all the time on the Type 21's
    Especially off Florida to show off to the septics.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Aaah! Going out under power then. Carry on. :cool:
  18. Then there is always the ME/WE chicken OPDEF brief, which goes up first the Purple or the Green umbrella to say not fit to sail? once declared it is amazing how many little bits need a fix from the other department?
  19. We once had the List 5 RNR First Officer of the old P&O cruise liner Oriana embarked for 'sea training' and his OOW handover brief was "Two burning, two turning, both swimming pools empty, heading that way."
    • Funny Funny x 4
  20. Typical, forget about the engineers. Classic RN error. Maybe the brief needs to be conducted in French or English Simplified for the French & US engineers!
    • Like Like x 1