Leaving gift

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by Gillie1853, Jul 21, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of the chiefs in my section is leaving the mob in the coming weeks and having done a whip round I'd like to get her a decent gift to remember her time. I've seen people receive framed cartoons of matelots going ashore with kitbags but I've no idea where they come from, could anyone point me in the right direction or suggest something else that would fit the bill? Cheers!

2. Try a web site called forever-jack they do a good selection of gizzits.

3. If you are in the Gosport/Pompey area, try Andrew Wing in The Stoke Gallery. He does prints and originals at very fair prices of all kinds of predominately RN and RM stuff. I have several.

Edited to add linky! Here: www.stokegallery.co.uk

4. image.jpeg
    If this is, as I think, what you're on about then SB is absolutely right. Stoke Gallery in Gosport is the place to go.

5. I recently left a job after 3 1/2 years and got presented with a very nice engraved port decanter & glasses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm hoping for a port & starboard decanter :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. look for jack cartoons

8. Boom boom :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. I will probably die half way through a night shift so they'll probably put me in with the classified waste and I'll get burned. Whip-round sorted.

10. That's the one! I have a VERY similar picture! Have you seen the 'cutaway' submarine pictures he does? Take a good look at the CO2 scrubber.......!

11. I've not only seen them, I've got one of a T boat. I'll check out the scrubber shack when I get home.

12. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

The silhouettes you describe are as other have said from Andy Wing at Stokes Bay Gallery, superb gifts and you can customise them. Expect to pay about £50-60, with a week turn around. Andy is top bloke.

I've used the above a lot and also started using http://www.gillianjonesdesigns.com/ships.html

Quite different, a friend left he mob recently and we did a silhouette for him and his current unit (not in the UK) wanted a 'British' gift, so I suggested a T23 in this style. It was lovely.

There is also a company doing mens bedside boxes, for watches, cufflinks and all that paraphernalia that litters the bedside table. They engrave a ships/unit crest on top.