Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaving / Entering Harbour Routines

trelawney126

War Hero
HMS Stayner, circa WW2 used to play "Post Horn Gallop" when leaving harbour, and "Return of the Gladiators" over the main broadcast when entering harbour.
Sweepers in Singapore used to wear sarongs.
HMS Eskimo had a chap dressed in Innuit rig stand atop of the ships musket.
Any others worthy of note? .

MG Maniac

War Hero
Devonshire used to have the Fire Alarm going off just about level with Round Tower ... only then they found out that it was the butcher washing down the beef screen using the fire main ... drop in fire main pressure = fire alarm!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
AFD 60 (Faslane for the unknowing) used to play the Monty Python theme over the speakers when she was ballasting down.

Ship Entering Harbour.jpgShip entering harbour,:wink:, The routine as I remember involved a lot of shouting for fenders,:lol:

Sharkey

Banned
The only dit I have is, when entering Durban harbour, this old bird was stood on the end of the spit singing in every pussers wagon, she was known as the lady in white, she was there when we went in bout '68ish, probably did it in gratitude for being slipped a blue liner by Jack sometime. Never allowed up top myself, though the skipper once asked me to rig up speakers on the fin to play Thin Lizzys, the boys are back in town after a run to the states.

slim

War Hero
The Chilean Navy bought HMS Lynx renamed it Lynch and when entering harbour play Scottish bagpipe music over the tannoy.
When I asked the reason they stated that the ship had been built in Scotland.

G

guestm

HMS Stayner, circa WW2 used to play "Post Horn Gallop" when leaving harbour, and "Return of the Gladiators" over the main broadcast when entering harbour.
Sweepers in Singapore used to wear sarongs.
HMS Eskimo had a chap dressed in Innuit rig stand atop of the ships musket.
Any others worthy of note? .

HMS Cardiff used to do this thing where we'd turn around almost immediately and go back alongside because it was always fucked. All to the tune of the skipper doing his nut.

scouse

War Hero
Entering Auckland harbour in company with Hms Achilles, the seaman got blacked up in Maori costumes, went on top of the bridge , and did the Haka to the music. For all the old boys and families waiting on the jetty who had served on HMNZS Achilles :wink:

Waspie

War Hero
One of our squadron Killick aircrewies, (829 NAS) used to dress up as an Admiral, One large gold ring plus 8 singles as I remember. Went by the name of Griff I think, can't remember what ship, (poss Bachante), he was on but it was Stanaforlant.

Always stood on the bridge roof and took the salute!!!!

Rumrat

War Hero
Entering Auckland harbour in company with Hms Achilles, the seaman got blacked up in Maori costumes, went on top of the bridge , and did the Haka to the music. For all the old boys and families waiting on the jetty who had served on HMNZS Achilles :wink:

Jack doing the Hakka?
Fuckin hell I bet that was a Bugis street moment.

Ballistic

War Hero
Coming alongside in Kotka, Finland, the skipper borrowed this tune from my collection and played it over the main broadcast.

[video=youtube;YNr3nK_bvKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNr3nK_bvKQ[/video]

Rumrat

War Hero
When we entered harbour in Aurora, we went to harbour stations, and any ****** who had ever seen us enter before went to panic stations.
We hit more ships than the Graf Spee.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Jack doing the Hakka?
Fuckin hell I bet that was a Bugis street moment.

A mate of my mate, did the Haka in front of the All Blacks in Boobs when they came to Guzz to play the combined services in 93, brave or stupid, you decide.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Brocklesby, the last of the Hunts, used to sound off on a hunting horn as she came alonbgside in Portland early 60s.

Tiger 1st commission 1959-60, the RM Band used to play Tiger Rag.

HMS Cardiff used to do this thing where we'd turn around almost immediately and go back alongside because it was always fucked. All to the tune of the skipper doing his nut.
Wonder what they played after shooting down one of our own helicopters in 82?? AAWO was a knob his career didn't exactly go ballistic after that.

Rumrat

War Hero
A mate of my mate, did the Haka in front of the All Blacks in Boobs when they came to Guzz to play the combined services in 93, brave or stupid, you decide.

Depends on how they viewed it. Compliment no probs, but the last encounter I had with a kiwi who happened to be a Maori very near ended in a bad way for him.
Yeah he nearly got done for my murder, but I had the brilliant idea of acting dead. Well 50% of it wasn't acting.

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Depends on how they viewed it. Compliment no probs, but the last encounter I had with a kiwi who happened to be a Maori very near ended in a bad way for him.
Yeah he nearly got done for my murder, but I had the brilliant idea of acting dead. Well 50% of it wasn't acting.

They weren't happy bu all accounts, the lad in question recognised them and went up to Sean Fitzpatrick to ask for an autograph, which he declined as the lads had played and were now on down time relaxing, cue the piss take Haka. Wish I'd been there to see it, second hand dit sadly.

Flagdeck

War Hero
Brocklesby, the last of the Hunts, used to sound off on a hunting horn as she came alonbgside in Portland early 60s.

Tiger 1st commission 1959-60, the RM Band used to play Tiger Rag.
I remember Brocklesby coming alongside in Portland.. skipper used to wear a huntsmans hat....sounding his 'tally ho' horn.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Subsunk Leaving Harbour Brief and Entering Harbour Brief The Quarterdeck 32
MoD_RSS £7 million for vulnerable pupils leaving Alternative Provision MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leaving lockdown together: Why we are better united against coronavirus MoD News 0
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Unique 300 year old scientific drawings at risk of leaving the UK MoD News 0
J Getting a job after leaving rn Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS New service to provide enhanced support to personnel leaving the military MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vital new support for young people leaving care MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Alun Cairns reassures Holyhead Port staff that leaving the EU with a deal remains the UK Government’s top priority MoD News 0
vauxhall Support for Families Leaving the Services - Plan Early Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Leaving the EU: BEIS issues advice for business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Major new scheme launched to support young people leaving care MoD News 0
vauxhall Leaving with a Resettlement Grant? Mind the Gap! Finance & Pensions 0
vauxhall Leaving Regular Service & Re-joining the FTRS Finance & Pensions 12
D Regulations on leaving training pipeline? - SIFT interview Joining the Royal Navy 1
Donatello Joining after leaving RM recruit training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
V Leaving an apprenticeship to join? Joining the Royal Navy 13
G Leaving gift The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 11
L Leaving at 12 yr point Finance & Pensions 9
Ash Rich Why are so many engineers leaving? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
F Leaving School and Joining The Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
noelweller Looking to join, but leaving the police... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
S Re-joining within a year of leaving The Quarterdeck 16
G HMS Raleigh offical leaving summer dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
F How to get NVQ`s since leaving the MOB? The Quarterdeck 11
O Leaving terms for an Officer. The Fleet Air Arm 1
W Lump sum and Pension on leaving Finance & Pensions 7
FunkyJunky £10k resettlement grant/leaving UPO 6
scouse Fleet leaving Portland harbour The Fleet 9
K Mess undress post leaving the RN Social & Reunions 68
C Leaving the RN Finance & Pensions 33
C leaving the country during recruitment process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
C Leaving the Navy? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 9
A Leaving Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
Apple_Catchers There is a bus leaving from Bretonside. The Gash Barge 16
G Leaving the Forces? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
P If your Leaving This May Help The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
FunkyJunky Leaving the RN and join the RFA RFA 3
I imgettingout - A book about leaving the Armed Forces The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
I imgettingout - A book about leaving the Armed Forces The Book Club 0
J Leaving RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 13
smeeg The cnut is leaving! Current Affairs 40
richardgriffiths Leaving for Raleigh soon, what is everyones weaknesses? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
F leaving navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 65
E Leaving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
N Leaving College Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
Sparrowhawk01 So glad I'm leaving Diamond Lil's 44
S Leaving the Corps The Corps 7
M leaving after 28 days Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
P Leaving the RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 9