Leaving College

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nikki92, Oct 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I discussed this on here a while ago, but eventually was talked out of leaving by my father. Now, I'm nearly at the end of the recruitment process, with just the PJFT to go - today, however, I decided to leave my college course. I started a BTEC National Diploma in Music Performance last year, did one academic year [ending in July this year] and, to be honest, I didn't enjoy it. There were times when I hated it. I strongly considered leaving. However, I was persuaded to return this year, which I duly did, and for the past 3 weeks I've been so incredibly unhappy that today I wrote to my tutors and said, in no uncertain times, that I wish to withdraw immediately. Basically, the drugs culture amongst the people of that course, and the fact that we've been back for 3 weeks and have done no work, has finished me off - I can't bear the fact that I'm sitting around all day, on a course that I hate, which has no relevance to my chosen career [ET(WE)], so I left in favour of finishing my Maths A-Level I’m doing as a correspondence course, and working 2 different jobs. Of course, now I'm having the "what if this ruins my application" panic. How badly is this going to reflect on me at this late stage? Will it show them that I'm too weak of mind to stick out a course, so I'm not right for the Navy [not true, in my opinion]? Have I blown it? There is still a chance that I can get back onto the course and get the [useless] qualification - but I hate that thought so much, I'll only take the road if I absolutely have to.

Anyone got any advice? Thanks all.

2. You must've passed the interview. Enough said.

3. Yeah, I did - but it was before I binned college, was worried they'd take one look at that and say "nah, not right anymore". With any luck, I'm worrying over nothing here!

Also, should I tell my recruiter right away what has happened? My Dad says no, don't volunteer the information, but I think they might want to know immediately about the change in circumstances?

4. Your recruiters are there to help you and also of course to ensure that the RN gets the best people it can.
    No point in being economical with the truth with them. tell them the reasons for leaving your course, as drug taking is involved and you wish to distance yourself from this it can only stand you in good stead

5. Honesty is the best policy. Passing the course won't have been a pre-condition of your entry, so tell the AFCO sooner rather than later.

6. Slim's spot on. If you just explain that the course was both a waste of time and forcing you to hang around with spacecadets you'll probably get brownie points for having the maturity to bin it instead of dossing around for a couple of years.

7. I have, Stix, but because I don't play a classical instrument [I play guitar, as in the electric, non-classical sense], and I'm not at all classically trained, I'm not eligible for it - and I wouldn't be good at something like that anyway!

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give my careers advisor a call tomorrow and explain the situation. I'm so much happier already for making this decision - I'm focusing on my maths a-level, and working, just got extra shifts sorted, so it's all good :)

Thanks again!

8. Great instrument to play, wish I had learned guitar instead of piano when I was a kid.
    Don't forget to take a guitar o board with you, there are sometimes like minded people and many ships used to have their own groups. Fanyastic for free beer :p