leaving after 28 days

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mrog, Jul 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HIya, I understand how you can leave after 28 days. But what about when you come home in august and decide that its not for you can you leave then? Or is there some type of clause??????? Or leave after weeks 5-9 can you do this?

Many Thanks

2. I wouldn't expect too many helpful replies to that question. Why on earth are you joining if you are thinking about leaving??? :dontknow:

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You may submit notice to quit after the 4th week of actual training. Many younger individuals submit notice immediately after returning from leave as is their prerogative. Generally those that quit in a fit of 'post leave blues' may not re-apply to join from anything between 12-24 months.

Those thinking of leaving before they join are advised to defer their entry date to save wasting a training place.

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Good first post mrog

5. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I fully agree-the amount of people that leave in Phase 1 & 2 is shocking. If you can't hack it, then don't waste a training place.

I know that in some branches, the amount of people who have quit or have failed to get through basic training due to their lack of preparation is equivalent to a full course of trainees getting binned. This may not sound like many but when a lot of people have been waiting in excess of 12 months and some branches running less than 4 courses a year, it does make you wonder if people actually think about what they're committing to when they go into the AFCO.....

6. Knob!

7. I've been outside at least 45 years and until I found R.R. by accident, I had not given much thought to my time in the Andrew. I don't do the R.N.A. or the British Legion nor blazers, badges and ties. The experience of R.R. has caused me more trauma and culture shock than being drafted to West Hartlepool and my experience of the Scottish licensing laws of the 1950s combined.As my recent post Re."Chef" as prison inmates used to say"It's doing my head in Gov".My worst enemies could never call me anchor faced But rates that I cannot even spell and "Notice!" Is it a service now, or just a job? How does notice work? And what sort of deployment would a rating be given after giving notice? All the gash jobs?

8. I find it quite shocking that so many people chuck it before getting to see what the real mob is like. Training may be hard, but we were always told that in no way was it like life in the Fleet.
    This was in the late '70s, so no doubt to someone of Jesse's generation we were all wimps, but we all made it through training. Are the kids even softer now?
    The young Pongos certainly don't come across like that, or is it just the ones who join the RN?

9. man the f**k up

10. Yes.

You know.

11. seriously why the feck would people want to leave after just 4 fickin weeks of training i mean i havent been to raliegh yet but is the training really that hard ? that people give up i mean i expect it to be hard but not that hard that i will be literely crying for my mum lol and plus all the hard work i've put in to just get this far will have been for nothing my phsycometric test/interview/fitness test god damnit i will succeed even if it kills me.Rant over

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Agreed, West Hartlepool is probably a tougher draft than Raleigh, Jesse, even worse for primates I'd have thought.

As always things do evolve over time - in 45 years, certainly entire new species have time to reach their peak, achieve fossilisation & reach extinction also. Hence the weird & wonderful branch titles that now exist & change every full moon, equinox & 3rd Sunday in Pentecost, it seems.

The "contract" nowadays is for 18 years or to the age of 40, whichever's longer. Trainees may quit between their 4th & 26th week of service - it saves the Navy money by letting them go. After the 26th week, they must complete their trade training & complete 2.5 years return of service before submitting 12 months notice to quit at any stage thereafter.

A rating submitting notice may well get drafted to the Falklands or continue to be seagoing, however if they've served over 5 years they're entitled to 6 weeks re-settlement in their preferred base area before being shown the door.

13. Thank you for the update. Is it possible to extend service after 18 years or 40 y.o.a,? I know this next has been done before but! what the fcuk have they done to the rig? The lanyard seems to finish under the chin, no shape to the jersey and flared trousers for fcuks sake.Please don't tell me that they are creased fore and aft. I recall that photograph of Granny and his brother that was the rig that I knew. Time flies and not always for the better.