Leave

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Matt1993, Jul 22, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How exactly does annual leave work in the Navy? I wouldn't imagine you are able to use it as freely as civvy street but are there periods during the year where you are encouraged/discouraged to take it?

Also when does leave come in to effect, i wouldn't imagine you are able to take much/any during Phase 1 & 2.

Cheers,

Matt

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. You have every weekend off if your not duty.
    Then the general way to look at it is two weeks for Easter, three summer and two Christmas. Plus your bank holidays. If your on a sea going unit you get an extra day a month.
    Obviously you can't always take say Easter leave at Easter, but when you can.
    When I joined I had 5 weeks at Raleigh then 4 weeks off before going back for 3 weeks to finish basic training. In phase 1/2 they will tell you rather than you request it.

3. Brillianbt, thanks Danny.

The 4 weeks you had after Raleigh, did that come out of your entitlement for that year? Sorry if that's an obvious question.

Also, when you get a weekend off and don't go home, i assume you're allowed to stay on the base?

4. First the good news! yes you get leave

Now the bad .... you take it when you get told to (needs of the service / deployment / wimbledon comes first) ... as Danny says ... Couple of Weeks Easter/Summer/Christmas but you could be advance/main/retard leave as someones got to man the fort just incase the bad guys come calling!

5. Your annual leave entitlement is 38 working days (edited with apologies for getting it wrong forst time and thanks to those who corrected me politely below). That is Monday - Friday. If you are not required for duty over a weekend that does not count as leave. If you take '2 weeks leave' that counts as 10 working days. Bank Holidays are taken out of the allowance.

When you can take it depends on what courses / training you might be doing, what the norm in your establishment or organisation is, or what your ship's / unit's programme is.

It can sometimes be difficult to take all of your leave in a year and you will be encouraged to take your full allowance (or at least you should be). This will inevitably mean that sometimes you have to take leave when you would prefer not to.

As an XO I set the ship's company the challenge that anyone who could use all of their leave, legitimately, in a leave year (bearing in mind additional leave for seagoers), need not worry about not having any left as I would give them extra to cover main leave periods as an incentive to use it. Not one person managed to take me up on my offer.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  6. Sep86

Things seem to have changed a bit since I left, it used to be 36 days annual leave plus bank holidays, long leave was calculated (ie Xmas, Easter Summer) 1st weekend Free, then out of leave entitlement so if you took 1 weeks leave this counted as 7 days from your entitlement (go on a Friday, back for duty on a Monday), 2 weeks would be 14 days, again a Friday to a Monday

• Like Like x 1
  7. sorry i I can't give an exact figure but it is not 30 days anymore. I have a feeling it's 38 and 50 if on a ship but it's for sure more than 30. The bare minimum would be 35 and 47 if on a ship.

• Like Like x 1
  8. No Scribes around to post the correct leave entitlement?

9. Current leave entitlments are 30 days annual leave allowance plus 8 bank holidays.
    In addition to that there are various other types of leave that can be accured, ie sea goers, PODL etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. As a tip: when you come to leave Raleigh, for god's sake, check your leave balance. The amount of leave that you get in a given leave year is dependent on the day that you join. If, for example, you join on 1 Sep, you'll get a different leave balance than someone who joined on 1 Apr.

If you really need to know, divide 38 days by 365.25, then multiply that result by the amount of days left in the leave year.

So for the 1 Sep: 16 full days.

The caveat on this is is that the civilians in Raleigh UPO will run a mass update of leave and this can, and will, send your leave balance into negative figures and, if you don't get a grip early enough, your leave balance will always be lower than it should. The Divisional Staff won't necessarily know about this either, so you need to take an interest on completion of your training.

11. I have edited my post above to make it correct.

Thank you for correcting me politely.

Going away to shoot myself now.

12. Rather than shoot myself, I did what I always tell others to do. Check the JSP. (760 in this case).

Annual Leave:

1.002 Annual Leave is an authorised period of absence of one or more days up to 38 days including Public Holidays (PH) plus any Annual Leave carried forward per leave year which runs from 1 April to 31 March for all Service personnel. Weekends that fall within periods of Annual Leave are classed as periods when an individual is not required for duty see para 2.017. PH are: New Year's Day; Good Friday; Easter Monday; Early Spring Bank Holiday[1]; Late Spring Bank Holiday[2]; Late Summer Bank Holiday; Christmas Day; and Boxing Day. Establishments may alter these days to suit local circumstances. For example, in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the May Day Holiday will regularly be taken on the first Monday in May. In Scotland it will be taken on the last Monday in May as the first Monday is usually the Spring Bank Holiday in Scotland. Although part of the leave allocation PH do not have to be taken on the exact date; when they are taken remains at the discretion of the chain of command.
    [HR][/HR][1] Traditionally May Day in England Wales and Northern Ireland

[2] Traditionally May Day in Scotland

Seagoers' Leave:

4.001 Seagoer’s Leave (SGL) is granted to Service personnel serving in seagoing units[1] to compensate them for the separation from family and friends that this type of service necessarily entails.

[h=3]ENTITLEMENT[/h]
    4.002 Service personnel serving in seagoing units are entitled to one working day of extra leave for each 30 calendar days of service up to an annual maximum of 12 days.

[HR][/HR][1] Sea going unit defined in JSP 752 Article 01.0251 (extract) – Seagoing Longer Separation Allowance Qualifying Unit. (SLQU) is defined as a seagoing vessel which has a standard operating pattern requiring it to operate regularly away from its Base Port. A seagoing vessel includes ships, submarines, Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA), and Ships Taken Up from Trade (STUFT when Service personnel are onboard.

• Like Like x 1
  13. So things have changed then, and if I read it correctly for the better