Leave for a wedding/important event

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by DylanJJ, Aug 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

I am thinking about joining the navy. Do you know if it is possible to get home for weekends if there is an important event such as a wedding of a friend or family member? Thank you for your answeres.
  2. Yeah no problem, you get every weekend off, if it's for a special occasion the skipper will lend you a car and driver to take you home.
  3. :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. And if its REALLY special he'll take you himself wait outside and bring you back. Just don't be late coming out no one wants their DO crashing in and removing them from the party.
  5. 8O 8O Why Yes of course, soon as you join, immediately render a request form to the Commanding officer,via your Divisional officer for Compassionate Leave. It will always be granted for Newbies :wink: :wink: They dont want to lose you :roll: :roll: ( Retention Retention is a must have in the modern R.N. :lol: :lol: )
  6. The original request forms stated:
    Request to see the Commanding Officer, through Executive Officer, through Divisional Officer, through telescope. Has it all been changed now? Or was Nailz lying?
  7. I remember requesting leave to marry my 1st wife in Spring 82 and the Fleet Chief Stoker saying 'Dipped..!'
    So I got married in 24 off, SA kicked off an' I had my 'unnymoon cut short (about 6hrs)

A few years later I was supposed to be best man at my (civvie) mates wedding; come Fridaybefore the Sat wedding, the Chief Stoker put me weekend duty at Raleigh Fire School for a bunch of civvie yachties who never even fcuking turned up...

Good luck with your future 'people friendly employer'
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

At risk of being a killjoy, in the event the captain cannot drive you to the event, the usual routine is as follows:

Six weeks & 8 bank holidays paid leave per year 'usually taken as 2 weeks Xmas, 2 Easter & 2 Summer. there is a degree of flexibility as to when they actually occur- ie: Christmas leave could well be given in November or January or even in March if you are deployed (at sea) over this period.

In addition, if your ship is alongside in UK or you are shore-based, you should anticipate working one weekend in four. If you are in UK and have to work a weekend (duty) then it's possible you may arrange to swap a duty with another individual so that you may attend a family function, or whatever.

If you are away from UK, you may be granted compassionate leave for a close family funeral, serious illness or injury, but routine stuff like Grannies 80th, your 21st or someone's wedding cannot be guaranteed.

If you have a friend who intends getting married, the best advice is to tell them simply not to bother. Instead: Find someone they really dislike intensely & then encourage them to give them all their money & children - it saves the hassle & reduces legal fees etc.