Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leave during lockdown

RedShirt

Midshipman
Greetings all,

I was looking for some possible insight/clarification. With Easter Leave aproaching next week, and with training at my establishment postponed. We have been told to put in leave for easter, but remain at 48 hours notice, required to checkin every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, even when on leave.

Surley this shouldn't be classed as leave? If the country in in lockdown and we cant leave our homes, and requiring to check in every 2 days. it just doesn't seem right?

Do I/we have any options than to "Shut up and deal with it?"

scabz

Lantern Swinger
It's right. Leave is the opportunity to not work for your employer, and you've got that. It's not the ability to go anywhere, do anything, and carry on regardless. I will be on leave over Easter, but I'm not going anywhere special. And I'll be checking in with my employer, because the country might just need us. You'll be able to do whatever you want (within some limits) next year, if you make it that far. So, unlucky this year, do your bit and think of good times to come.

Waspie

War Hero
Greetings all,

I was looking for some possible insight/clarification. With Easter Leave aproaching next week, and with training at my establishment postponed. We have been told to put in leave for easter, but remain at 48 hours notice, required to checkin every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, even when on leave.

Surley this shouldn't be classed as leave? If the country in in lockdown and we cant leave our homes, and requiring to check in every 2 days. it just doesn't seem right?

If your in the mob surely you should be asking your DO not an unofficial pussers forum!!
Or has the divisional system died?

Paxman_Valenta

Lantern Swinger
If your in the mob surely you should be asking your DO not an unofficial pussers forum!!
Or has the divisional system died?

I think the OP is in the same establishment that I am and I am one of the "lucky" ones who had their Easter leave cancelled and got told to stay at work and keep training as we are seriously short of my particular trade at my rate. The Divisional System hasn't died, but 95% of the Div Staff are working from home and the Defence Connect app is proving not to be as reliable in relaying information as It should be.

From what I understand where I work is this: Those that have been sent home with their training paused are at R2 for MACA. Therefore, you should have to put in for Easter leave via the MyNavy App with the correct dates for Easter Leave as per your establishments Leave dates for 2020. If you are activated for MACA, any leave that is outstanding (i.e what you've not been able to take) is refunded back onto your leave balance.

FWIW, I'm not a writer and I'm not an expert on leave policies so treat with caution.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
You're not at work so therefore on leave. The fact you can't go to the pub or on holiday, oh dear, how sad, neither can 60 million other people!

At 48 hours notice! Read the leave pass, you (and everyone else past, present and future) has "leave, subject to recall"

Welcome to the harsh reality of service life;)

Edited to add P-V is correct, if you get recalled the leave you haven't been able to take is re-credited, you won't be seen off.

Paxman_Valenta

Lantern Swinger
Greetings all,

If you're FRE or TAPS you're normally at 12/24hrs NFS anyway, so being stuck at home (albeit with nothing to do) at 48Hrs is not a bad deal! At least you're at home; some of us are still working.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Greetings all,

Transfer to the RAF?

It's amazing that the RN has s retention problem...

I'm in a similar position and trying to work out for my team what the right solution is.

My gut feeling is that you're not on leave, but instead should be under the new JPA MACA tag. There's an interesting mindset that prevails about not being able to take leave due to Service requirements, but blaming the individual instead.

I've taken the view that as I don't charge people leave to have a couple of days off whilst we're deployed, I don't think we should take their leave off them now.

RabC

MIA
I can see the OPs point he is willing and able to be employed and pusser can’t employ him, not his fault therefore why should he use his leave.

OTOH he could stay on board for lower deck leave then take a Janner run ashore each day returning for scran after a DTS. What's that you say?

No? Oh dear, current situation puts the lid on that plan, best turn in & slash your wrists like we all had to...

-

fishhead

War Hero
If personnel don't take their leave when it is due then save it for later in the year there will come a time when many have a years leave due and no time to take it. I can see both sides of the argument but on balance I think I'd rather take the leave when it is offered albeit with caveats rather than hope that when the situation improves Pusser will be happy for everyone trying to take their owed leave at once.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I get ATG and Rabs point but really this is no different to the normal designated leave periods ashore or afloat, basically pusser tells you when you can go on leave.

FLIB or SLIB?

redmonkey

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
As you are at a training establishment you would have been told when to take your leave.
You have now been told to take your leave over Easter.
Yes you have to report in by phone 3 days a week but if you aren't aware the country is going through some rather extraordinary times.

If you have to go back to base you will get your leave back.
Enjoy your leave.

Last edited:
If personnel don't take their leave when it is due then save it for later in the year there will come a time when many have a years leave due and no time to take it. I can see both sides of the argument but on balance I think I'd rather take the leave when it is offered albeit with caveats rather than hope that when the situation improves Pusser will be happy for everyone trying to take their owed leave at once.

There is a price to using our people outside the norm. The team get it, undoubtedly, but there is also something about recognising that we need to let people properly relax - resilience is like a well, there’s only so often you can dip into it before it runs dry.

Lots of words have been touted around like “we need to treat this like an OpTour”. Quite quickly the response was “when are we getting POTL then?”.

Pusser52

I'm in phase two and currently on operational standby period with 48 hours recall notice.
We've specifically been told that this is not leave and is not coming out of our leave allowance even though we're currently at home. I assumed it would be the same for all training establishments but I'm not sure!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I'm in phase two and currently on operational standby period with 48 hours recall notice.
We've specifically been told that this is not leave and is not coming out of our leave allowance even though we're currently at home. I assumed it would be the same for all training establishments but I'm not sure!
Cheers easy all round then!?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Rules on carrying over annual leave to be relaxed to support key industries during COVID-19 MoD News 0
M AT during leave? Joining the Royal Navy 15
B Leave during phase 1 at Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 6
N Leave during initial training Joining the Royal Navy 0
E pay during summer leave... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
M Leave during Phase 2 at Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
S Weekend leave during phase 1 and 2 training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
E Leave during basic training The Corps 5
P Training leave Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS Do you need to leave your home area to achieve a better life? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public asked to leave a name and number with venues to help stop the spread of COVID-19 MoD News 0
P Leave or Stay Nearest & Dearest 1
MoD_RSS Parents returning to work after extended leave eligible for furlough MoD News 0
J HMS Collingwood leave dates UPO/Careers Office 23
MoD_RSS Leave lockdown in lockstep MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Furloughed workers to receive full parental leave entitlement MoD News 0
M Leave between phase 1 and 2 Joining the Royal Navy 17
G Mobile number changed while on leave UPO 4
MoD_RSS Government campaign to ensure workers are paid correctly for holiday leave MoD News 0
G Holdover Weekend Leave?? Joining the Royal Navy 7
F Summer leave Dates WD Bases / Shore Est 0
MoD_RSS UK set to introduce ‘Jack’s Law’ – new legal right to paid parental bereavement leave MoD News 0
N Can you use other bases/barracks sickbays if ill on leave Health & Fitness 8
F Raleigh Christmas Leave 2019 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS New Service Launched Helping Service Leavers to Plan Early and Leave Well MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Helping Service Leavers to plan early and leave well MoD News 0
D SMQ North Christmas leave 2019 Submariners 5
J Easter Leave 2020 Joining the Royal Navy 20
S Will summer leave alter Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Chief Digital and Information Officer Jacky Wright to leave HMRC MoD News 0
slim Should Retired Old and Bold Pharts Leave RR? Diamond Lil's 59
MorganCUFC HMS Collingwood Summer Leave 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS Paul Newby to leave the PCA role at end of four year term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £10 million Turner masterpiece may leave British shores MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rare portrait of the dancer Nijinsky may leave UK permanently MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM calls for greater equality in parental leave MoD News 0
H Training and reservist leave Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
D Raleigh summer leave dates 2019? Bases / Shore Est 1
K Summer leave 2020 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
K Summer leave 2020 HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 28
Z What do people do with Leave? RFA 33
W Christmas Leave Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Easter and Summer leave times at Collingwood? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B HMS Collingwood summer leave 2019?? Social & Reunions 1
K basic training easter leave Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS News story: UK aviation industry set to prosper as UK prepares to leave the EU MoD News 0
C Leave Joining the Royal Navy 1
Waspie On leave!!! Diamond Lil's 10
A Allowed leave to go on Expedition? Joining the Royal Navy 0
F Careers Office Leave Joining the Royal Navy 3