leave after 11 years service

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by bri1, Jan 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i am thinking of leaving the navy after 11 years service. i have heard that if i competed 12 years i will be entitled to half pension and a lump sum of £10,000. please advise
  2. Do you not have to submit 12 months notice anyway?
  3. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Speak to your Divisional Senior Rate or Officer to get the most up to date information. However if you did leave at your 12 yr point (12 years from the age of 18), you would be entitled to a half pension at the age of 65 (that you must claim for-the MOD will not track you down!). You are entitled to a Resettlement lump sum of about £9,200.

I find it hard to believe that somone who has been in as long as you has no idea on what you are entitled to....
  4. There's a pension calculator on the intranet, look for it.
  5. bri1, if you log onto JPA there is a pension calculator there plus loads of useful stuff about your pension and entitlements.
  6. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I forgot to mention as well that don't forget you can use your Enhanced Learning Credits for up to 10 years after you leave the mob however you must pay tax on them. Do a google search for Enhanced Learning Credits and the website will explain everything although it is a dire website to use.

A DIN came out quite recently as well reference funding for a degree but it must be your first degree. If you've got one already like myself then you dip out and get no funding but hey ho...

7. Bite the bullet and sign on for pension. At 40 you will know that it made sense!!!
  8. Matelot, do you have a DIN for that degree gouge mate?
  9. Listen to dollygee.

Speaking as a 'part time civvie', world of sh1t out here mate... might start to recover by the time your 22 years is up and safe enough for you to invest your lump sum!
  10. i am leaving to join the australian navy. i have done the pension calculator and yes you still get the same amount of pension at 11 years and 12 years. the onlyy difference is £9500 lump sum which is prob taxable. so is it worth staying for another year. or be in australia.
  11. .

If you have been given the OK to join the RAN,, then this is a no brainer..

Chuck it and Join their outfit.

They have been on leave since the week before Christmas and will not be due back until Next week..

Now that is what I call a package..

But PLEASE PLEASE.. be mindful of what R12_CV said...It is quite shitty out in the land of the great unwashed