leave after 11 years service

i am thinking of leaving the navy after 11 years service. i have heard that if i competed 12 years i will be entitled to half pension and a lump sum of £10,000. please advise

the_matelot

War Hero
bri1 said:
i am thinking of leaving the navy after 11 years service. i have heard that if i competed 12 years i will be entitled to half pension and a lump sum of £10,000. please advise
Speak to your Divisional Senior Rate or Officer to get the most up to date information. However if you did leave at your 12 yr point (12 years from the age of 18), you would be entitled to a half pension at the age of 65 (that you must claim for-the MOD will not track you down!). You are entitled to a Resettlement lump sum of about £9,200.

I find it hard to believe that somone who has been in as long as you has no idea on what you are entitled to....

the_matelot

War Hero
I forgot to mention as well that don't forget you can use your Enhanced Learning Credits for up to 10 years after you leave the mob however you must pay tax on them. Do a google search for Enhanced Learning Credits and the website will explain everything although it is a dire website to use.

A DIN came out quite recently as well reference funding for a degree but it must be your first degree. If you've got one already like myself then you dip out and get no funding but hey ho...

Commitment: Fully funded tuition fees for a first Level 3, first Foundation or Full degree (or national equivalent).
Key Points and Qualifying Criteria:
• This is a new initiative, not the Enhanced Learning Credit (ELC) scheme repackaged.
• To qualify Service Leavers must have completed six years full-time service (they can apply for a first FE/HE qualification at the level for which they are academically qualified to enter on leaving, for up to ten years after they leave the Armed Forces).
• Service Leavers must have previously joined the ELC scheme and completed at least 4 years qualifying scheme membership.
• In effect MOD (the Service) will continue to pay its contribution towards the course fees as per the ELC scheme (up to a maximum of £1k or £2k per FY) and DIUS (through the LSC and HE funding agencies) and the Devolved Administration equivalents will ‘buy out’ the personal contribution which would have been paid by the individual.
• This support is targeted at those who will benefit the most and applies only to a first Level 3 qualification, or first Foundation Degree or Full Degree.
• Aligned to the full resettlement package it can be transferred to the spouse or partner in the case of death in Service or medical discharge where an individual’s medical condition prevents them from taking advantage of the provision.
• Provision will take effect from academic year 09/10 (i.e. qualifications starting 1 Sep 09 onwards).
• Personnel leaving the Armed Forces on or after 17 Jul 08 (date of the announcement of the Command Paper) will be eligible to register for qualification starting in academic year 09/10. For the majority of part-time qualifications registration will be much nearer to the course start date in 09. However, it is possible eligible Service Leavers wishing to take–up a full time qualification may be required to register as soon as Sep 08 (i.e. up to a year in advance).
• Service Leavers who are required to register wef Sep 08, and who meet all the above qualifying criteria, should advise the provider that they are eligible to access their first Level 3, foundation or full degree free from tuition fees and that MOD will pay the full course costs once the student starts the qualification.
• It is hoped providers will waive any initial registration fee to help reduce the level of bureaucracy. Those providers requiring an assurance to protect against no-shows could take an individual’s credit card details. For those that do require a fee at registration the individual should be advised that they enter a private agreement with the provider and that they should seek an assurance of full refund by the provider on start up of the qualification thus preserving the principle of no cost to the individual.
• It is intended that provision will be delivered mainly through state funded FE and HE institutions [or existing ELC approved providers only – to be confirmed].
• Only nationally recognised higher level qualifications (Level 3+ or national equivalent) underpinned by nationally recognised awarding bodies and listed on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) (or national equivalent) will be deemed eligible.
• Applications are likely to be administered through the Enhanced Learning Credit Administration Service (ELCAS), with MOD (the single Service) initially paying the full course fees each FY but with MOD claiming back the DIUS/DA element for refund to Top Level Budgets, provisionally on a quarterly basis (exact process to be confirmed).
• This provision will not be retrospectively applied to those who have already left the Service. Personnel leaving the Service on or after 17 Jul 08 may be eligible to apply assuming they meet the qualifying criteria.
• Service Leavers are advised to first check the national position on existing support with their relevant education authorities; it might be there is already existing ‘free’ provision by another route i.e. those under 25 years are already entitled to a first level 3 in England; free entitlement for all who fulfil the residency requirements on degree/HND level courses in Scotland; Welsh residents also attract some support for FE and HE provision. It makes sense for Service Leavers to look at alternative routes before considering support and access through the ELC scheme.
• There will be no amnesty declared for those serving personnel who failed to register with the ELC scheme. Personnel may continue to apply for consideration for late scheme registration only if they are able to prove that they failed to initially register through no fault of their own. Under these circumstances the individual should first seek advice from their respective Service. Each application for late scheme registration must be endorsed by the single Service Directorate of Education.

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
bri1 said:
Listen to dollygee.

Speaking as a 'part time civvie', world of sh1t out here mate... might start to recover by the time your 22 years is up and safe enough for you to invest your lump sum!

i am leaving to join the australian navy. i have done the pension calculator and yes you still get the same amount of pension at 11 years and 12 years. the onlyy difference is £9500 lump sum which is prob taxable. so is it worth staying for another year. or be in australia.

bri1 said:
i am leaving to join the australian navy. i have done the pension calculator and yes you still get the same amount of pension at 11 years and 12 years. the onlyy difference is £9500 lump sum which is prob taxable. so is it worth staying for another year. or be in australia.

If you have been given the OK to join the RAN,, then this is a no brainer..

Chuck it and Join their outfit.

They have been on leave since the week before Christmas and will not be due back until Next week..

Now that is what I call a package..

But PLEASE PLEASE.. be mindful of what R12_CV said...It is quite shitty out in the land of the great unwashed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 23
B The Corps 2
Scud Diamond Lil's 18