Leathernecks

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Leatherneck, Apr 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :thumright: Just registered and looking for Royal Marines and or Sailors to chat with from time to time. I'm obviously American with English blood and proud of it. Call in on me when you get time, I'll keep the kettle hot.

http://stores.ebay.com/gregs-comic-books

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Welcome to RR! Post away - I hope our sense of humour does not get lost in translation and discolour your opinion of us... :wink:

3. Yeah Welcome Elmer J

4. Welcome to RR Leatherneck from an ex bootneck

5. coffee nato plz

6. Greetings Leatherneck from a former Bootneck :thumright:

7. Cheers Mates. So far, I have enjoyed my stay her on RR. Your humor is brilliant and I've added some proper English terms to my vocabulary all rude of course. First time I met some bootnecks was in 1990 in a place called Saudi Arabia. We were getting set to evict the Iraqi forces out of Kuwait. Just brief encounters but Ialways turned up about tea time,on purpose for a cuppa British tea ( the only kind of tea)and a good winding up. Bootnecks have a certain mystique in my opinion. When in their presence I was looking at my ancestry in tow ways. First as a Marine, then being English, my great granny came from London; Middlesex to be exact.
    Once again met up with Bootnecks in the desert California for training 1997. Was in a combined hootch with Royal Marines. These encounters were by far my best memoeire of my career as a Leatherneck

My fiance is in Northampton and will be my wife on may 29.

In fact, if any of ya ever want to visit America you can always count on a place to stay.

Thanks for havin' me. :glasses5:

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...you like tea then? Well, why didn't you say... 8O :wink:

9. I originally came from Northampton but I am unable to come to the wedding as I live too far away and I have other commitments at The National Arboretum at Alrewas that weekend! Thanks all the same :bball:

10. No Worries. She wants to get married here in the US. But just the same Bootnecks are always welcome in my home. Just be rum drinkers since our beer is piss. You know the drill. Pounds convert nicely to Dollars at the moment. It's an open invitation, I'll be hangin round for a long time to come.

11. Sure like my tea alright. Having a pot as I type this. Yorkshire tea this time round. Tea is best the second round, like mine black. I fancy an occassional dippin biscuit, shortbread is ok, my bulldog likes his with taost. If you have some Marmite on the toast he's over the moon! He's pure British not ashamed to let ya know either. And no wonder the US Marines adopted the breed as our mascot. Never had a Bulldog yet, that didn't go straight for a womans crotch for a good sniff of her fanny. Fecking lucky bugger, most times anyway.
    Right, I'm rambling. Like my coffee by morning and my tea by day. Most times the a most welcome part of my day. No tea will ever compete with British tea, don't let any tell you any different. :rambo:

Ever compare British comic books to American comic books? :w00t:

12. Thanks mate.

Like your signature "Once a Marine Always a Marine." Seems like a univeral quote. We were told that after graduating basic and having earned the title Marine, that all Marines were our brothers past and present.

Iknow the Royal Marines have saved our "bacon" on more than one occassion; take Korea for example. :glasses5:

right, enough rambling.

13. 41 (IND) CDO i believe. Didn't they get a U.S presidential citation for covering the withdrawl from the chosin reservoir?? I'll ask Bergen next time he's on here. He was with 41 CDO. Well if you didn't know he was he will tell you anyway :thumright: :thumright:

How do you know theres an ex 41CDO gravel belly in the room?? They will tell you. :thumright: :thumright:

Greetings Leatherneck. I served alongside the USMC in California in 1993 (Ex fused boots) great craic!! Also had a few lads train alongside us from the U.S embassy in London from time to time. Good times!!

14. The withdrawl from the Chosin reservoir is exactly what I had in mind.
    I beleive the Royal Marines had our flank security but can't say for sure. All I know ia that I cannot say for sure we would have made it though without the Royal Marines. Pitty the got nothing in return for their sacrifice. Just the gratitude of some thankful US Marines. I know a few still about that were there and still remember. We brought our dead and wounded out despite the situation. As you know.

I had no idea there was an ex 41CDO gravel belly just a pleasant surprise.

I served alongside Royal Marines in California in 1997 and in 1990 in Saudi Arabia. Had the time of my life, the tea was always good and always got a good winding up. Good times I wish I could live over again.

15. Kinnel R-D, my mother's eldest brother had an oppo who was with 41 Independent Royal Marine Commando / Force Drysdale in Korea and I was just a wee lad being raised on tales of RM derring-do, particularly from my uncle who was there with the Glorious Glosters. As for being a Gravel Belly in 41 .... Not guilty; I was always loafing in Recce Troop :thumright:

PS Did I ever mention that 41 Independent was the finest unit in my Beloved Corps?? :bball:

RM

16. Pesky grenade triggering, VC candidate Recce troop types!! :thumright:

I think you might have mentioned it on one or two occasions mate. Did i mention that the bloke who is being put up for a VC is in fact a rubberdagger by any chance?? :thumright: :thumright:

17. PS Did I ever mention that 41 Independent was the finest unit in my Beloved Corps?? :bball:

RM[/quote]

No you had not mentioned that. Thanks for informing me. Think it hard to be humble in a unit of that magnitude. Hard to get my head around it.

We have a few of our own as you know. I spent a little time hanging around First Marine Division, in California. My last unit was 1st Battalion 7th Marine Regiment 1st Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force Pacific. 1st Marine Division was in Korea.

Thanks for being a Royal Marine and for being on our side. :thumright:

18. Hello Leatherneck from another ex Bootneck, 45 Cdo type not one of these Sunshine Commandos from 41 or the Sarf Landan RDs (Respect for the Jamaica Road Posse, innit.) :thumright:
    I had the (Mis)fortune to have a USMC Gunnery Sergeant as my Troop Officer during training in '79, a Vietnam vet on an exchange posting from Parris Island.

Just a slight correction here, 41(Independent) Cdo RM received a US Presidential Citation for their actions on the retreat from Chosin, the streamer of which was proudly displayed on the Unit Regimental Colours.
    NZB

19. No you had not mentioned that. Thanks for informing me. Think it hard to be humble in a unit of that magnitude. Hard to get my head around it.
    [/quote]
    Bergs was obviously exploiting your good nature here, as any Bootneck knows that 41 had to be disbanded in '79 because the availability of sunny places for them to swan about in was severely curtailed by the end of the British Empire. :dwarf:
    The very thought of them having to join 45 Cdo in the Arctic wastes of Northern Norway caused a 100% increase in Sick Parade attendances, eventually the NCOs and Marines were all pensioned off with beach side bars in Cyprus, Majorca and Malta. The Officers were given permanent berths at the Army and Navy Club and free bar tabs.
    NZB

20. No you had not mentioned that. Thanks for informing me. Think it hard to be humble in a unit of that magnitude. Hard to get my head around it.

We have a few of our own as you know. I spent a little time hanging around First Marine Division, in California. My last unit was 1st Battalion 7th Marine Regiment 1st Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force Pacific. 1st Marine Division was in Korea.

Thanks for being a Royal Marine and for being on our side. :thumright:[/quote]

29 Palms perhaps?? I remember selling a pair of N.I gloves to one of your guys stating that the knuckle protectors in fact had survival kit stored inside them. See below for explanation of said leather gloves that were utterly useless when wet. :thumright:

http://www.qmstores.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/NGLVCX.html