learning to drive!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by werqpr, Jan 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi all, just a question thats I've been thinking about. A few of my pals who have joined the army have all learnt to drive with them, do they RN teach their personel to drive? :?
  2. The problem is where to park all the cars onboard a warship. It's also a sod negotiating the chicane near the hanger.
  3. Only if required for draft. HGV etc.
  4. wet_blobby

    wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

    On the positive side, the Navy has been leading the way in preparing students in the art of hill starts. I do believe three of the bigger ships have purpose built practice facilities on board.
  5. i like the sound of that!! :lol:

  6. There goes anther keyboard. I really shouldn't drink coffee whist on RR.

    :lol: :laughing6: :clap:
  7. wet_blobby

    wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

    Oh dear..... 8O
  8. An oppo of mine had his lesson paid for by the MOB when I was in. But only because his next draft required him to drive. He also had to do an additional driving course on top to do with advasive (spelling) driving.

    So if they still do it will be to do if your job requires it!
  9. Don't they have a traffic light system too?

    I understand that HMS Daring's Burma Road is fitted with pelican crossings because it's so wide. Bet it's the NAAFI vans causing most of the trouble.
  10. WERQPR,

    All RM's are being taught to drive on completion of training due the the requirements in Afghan. RN personnel are only trained if they require it for a specific job, ie I met a young ET(WE) yesterday that had been taught to drive as he's currently working on one of our Students presentations teams.

    The other thing you can apparantly do is use your education allowance towards driving lessons.


  11. the_matelot

    the_matelot War Hero Moderator

    You can use your Standard Learning Credits (SLC) towards driving lessons. It is currently (and has been for several years despite inflation but don't get me started on that....) £175 per financial year (01 April to 31 March).

    You get a form from the Learning Centre called a Form 5A, fill it in (your Divisional Officer/Line Manager will have to approve it as well), hand it back to the Learning Centre, pay for your lessons and then you need to get a form called (funny old thing) a Form 5B. Once it has been approved, you will get back 80% of the cost of your lessons up to a maximum of £175 therefore you would have to spend £218.75 in order to get the maximum amount back. It normally goes into your pay the following month on JPA.

    There is nothing stopping you using up an entire years SLC's in March on driving lessons and using up your next years SLC's during April if you so wished to do so but speak to the Education Staff first before doing anything.
  12. Looks like you'll have to join as a bootie, learn to drive a supermarket trolley there, then apply for a transfer to the RN.

    DO: Why do you want to transfer son?
    Baby Zoid: I've got me driving licence now and my mum wants her dresses back.
    DO: Same excuse everone tries on.
    Baby Zoid: Oh, and I fancy SAILORS!
    DO: Oh fuckk!

Share This Page