Learning Credits

Hello,
Currently stationed at RNAS Yeovilton, being an AET i've read many forums saying make as much use of the ELC as possible.
For future aspects and when leaving the mob, what qualifcations recommedations shall i look into, anyone got any previous routes etc?

Kind regards

I’d follow the aerospace industry, am just wondering if anyone could recommend any additional courses worth trying that may have perhaps done previous.
Not including promotion qualifications

I did a Aeronautical Engineering HNC through Perth College using my ELC's. Also used the Standard one each year to top up the GCSE's, 16th Edition wiring and Appliance Testing. The GCSE's were just because there wasn't a great deal else around. My Commerce one has never come in handy though.....

I am now 80% through the Level 5 Leadership and Management qualification, again paid for via the Apprentice Levy the company I work for gets charged.

Project Management is a good route, we are always crying out for PM's.

I did a Aeronautical Engineering HNC through Perth College using my ELC's. Also used the Standard one each year to top up the GCSE's, 16th Edition wiring and Appliance Testing. The GCSE's were just because there wasn't a great deal else around. My Commerce one has never come in handy though.....

I am now 80% through the Level 5 Leadership and Management qualification, again paid for via the Apprentice Levy the company I work for gets charged.

Project Management is a good route, we are always crying out for PM's.
Good idea Thankyou, may follow that similar route

Currently on fast track to LH, which hopefully will be PO in 5 years.
Looking to get as much beneficial grades in addition to the ones earnt

What do want to do when you go outside?

Whatever it is, there's your starting point.
I wanted to be a civvy but alas no courses on that, I looked in the papers, situation vacant, and looked at the qualifications required for jobs that interested me, and went and did a degree followed by a Masters just out of bordem. Not until I had finished all my training and been made a CPO. Called planning ahead, in my case almost 8 years ahead.

As an AET you get a level 2 NVQ then a HNC from LAET.
That is the benefit of being in the modern RN.
In the olden days there were Tiffs, Mechanicians and Mechanics.
All 3 of these branches could go from erk to Chief.
Tiffs and Mechs were able to take an ONC alongside their RN exams during training.
They were then POs and had an ONC.
Many then gained their HNC by taking day release courses at the local College of Knowlege.
Mechanics took courses at LH and PO level but gained no civie qualifications.
They were of course entitled to an Education allowance but for some reason were never told about this.
When I was a Boscombe down my Squadron Leader was keen on education and encouraged me and an electrical PO to take day release and gain an ONC.

Todays navy seems to have the advantage in Education :)

Although education is a benefit of sorts, I really think it looks more attractive than it is.

Given that when I left school most people were looking at university, it's only putting you on a level playing field with the rest of the country.

And, as back in your day, everyone leaves with the same qualifications so you need to put some effort in to stand apart from the crowd. Something most people don't seem to realise is that time goes by quickly and anything can happen. An oppo of mine just got hit with the MBOS bomb, for example. Another is in his last 2 years and rushing to get his degree finished.

Personally, I spent the last 4 years getting qual'd up the ying yang and I'm more or less done now. I can stay in until I die or leave tomorrow and probably be okay.

Although education is a benefit of sorts, I really think it looks more attractive than it is.

Given that when I left school most people were looking at university, it's only putting you on a level playing field with the rest of the country.

And, as back in your day, everyone leaves with the same qualifications so you need to put some effort in to stand apart from the crowd. Something most people don't seem to realise is that time goes by quickly and anything can happen. An oppo of mine just got hit with the MBOS bomb, for example. Another is in his last 2 years and rushing to get his degree finished.

Personally, I spent the last 4 years getting qual'd up the ying yang and I'm more or less done now. I can stay in until I die or leave tomorrow and probably be okay.
The BIG differences between being awarde a degree/HNC in the R.N as compared with a Univesity are.
1. No big loan to repay
2. The RN do not give out Mickey Mouse degree/HNC qualifications.