Leadership oppertunities before joining as officer

Spiced Buoy

I want to join the Royal Navy as an officer, but I don't have much leadership experience. What sort of things can I get involved with in order to accrue this experience? I feel like it will be a huge part of the selection process and having that experience would be a massive advantage, if not a prerequisite.

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
To get you going, use the site search facility. I'm sure you aren't the first to feel the need for this info.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I want to join the Royal Navy as an officer, but I don't have much leadership experience. What sort of things can I get involved with in order to accrue this experience. I feel like it will be a huge part of the selection process and having that experience would be a massive advantage, if not a prerequisite.

Cheers in advance.
Cadet Forces Adult Volunteer is probably a good starter. Duke of Edinburgh award schemes also.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Very true ATG, but there is merit in asking about ways to boost your chances when you are going to be in competition with others for potentially limited places.

For the OP - prior experience will be considered in the application but as mentioned above, the testing will be on potential capability so be prepared to get stuck in and give it your all when the time comes.

Seadog

War Hero
Participate in Parish/ Community Council activities, local projects, preservation, objections, endorsements; marshalling / support at local sport events ( 10k run ), Committee on local branch of an appropriate professional institution. Committee of the local bowling club.

Leadership experience includes experience of being led / misled.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
[QUOTE="Seadog, post: 1459124, member: 99"

Leadership experience includes experience of being led / misled.
[/QUOTE]
And that's why I was a natural leader!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS £20 million to improve small business leadership and problem-solving skills in the wake of coronavirus MoD News 0
S US Navy leadership culture International 4
S Leadership Qualifications The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 20
MoD_RSS Africa Minister champions UK leadership to help educate girls and end preventable deaths MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Equalities Baroness Williams speaking at the Government Equalities Office's LGBT Leadership Summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The new normal: leadership in the climate crisis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK leadership in European space telecommunications set to continue as new report shows benefits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Chancellor's speech at the GG2 Leadership Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National Leadership Centre programme launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Sponsors the First Youth Leadership Summit for the 4Rs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10 projects funded to extend UK’s leadership in Earth Observation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New funding heralds UK's leadership in low-carbon automotive future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Local knowledge. National action. International leadership. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Getting the right leadership is vital for patient safety MoD News 0
A Leadership opportunities for an aspiring officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Speech: Good NHS leadership starts with culture change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: LLWR Leadership Team shows support for anti-bullying campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Leadership within the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary reaffirms leadership in NATO on Washington visit MoD News 0
alfred_the_great Officers and Leadership Joining the Royal Navy 35
Good CO Women in Leadership - RN Lt (Guardian) The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Secretary of State Michael Fallon's speech to FCO leadership conference MoD News 0
BFRS ILM Level 5 Certificate in Leadership & Management The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
Seaweed A lesson in leadership from the 1940s RCN History 1
Z Junior Rates' Leadership UPO/Careers Office 40
BFRS BFRS Course Of the Day (Ashridge Leadership Workshop) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
F Rothiemurchus leadership course Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Western Morning News: "Dartmouth BRNC Cadets' Lesson In Leadership From 1SL" Bases / Shore Est 0
B Sift interview - Leadership experience? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
N Leadership or management? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 48
I Junior Leadership Course Portsmouth ! SCC and URNU 1
H Leadership in the Navy The Fleet 18
finknottle Cameron's disgraceful failure of leadership The Gash Barge 126
SILVER_FOX Leadership course joining instructions The Fleet 30
finknottle Dithering leadership Current Affairs 37
finknottle Ed Miliband wins Labour leadership race Current Affairs 50
soleil Isle Of Wight County Press: "Leadership Recognised" Bases / Shore Est 0
S The next leadership debate Diamond Lil's 2
T Potential Officer Leadership Course 21 - 26 March Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Company of Leathersellers' Trophy for Outstanding Leadership The Fleet 1
C Examples of Leadership Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
L how to show leadership potential? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 29
R Leadership The Fleet 10
Ant_H Potential Officer Leadership Day Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Intelligence and Leadership The Quarterdeck 31
PartTimePongo Labour leadership contest to open Current Affairs 1
Polycell POs leadership course at Royal Arthur............. Bases / Shore Est 67
schoolboy Leadership building The Fleet Air Arm 22
S Practical Leadership Tasks Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MasterChief CLM Command & Leadership Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 14