Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leadership course joining instructions

Seadog

War Hero
(i) have the ILM in leadership and management certificates and JPA competency's to prove it.

Are you trying to say; I have the ILM certificates in leadership and management.... ? If so, your communication 'skills' tend to suggest you don't.

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
bore off you dripping quim. ive done both and been a senior rate for 5 years. im not chico ask me a question you would only know if you had done srcc.

Done both courses and been a Senior Rate for five years ... and learned absolutely nothing about leadership and management judging from your uninspiring attitude. Quite why you continue to serve, and I use that word advisedly, is beyond me but with any luck you'll be weeded out during the forthcoming redundancy round.

SF

Fleet_Sprog

Lantern Swinger
I am not prone to enter arguments on the side of the ships cock, however in my humble opinion both LRCC and SRCC were a complete waste of time. In total it was 7 seven weeks (combined) of my life that I will never get back. Leadership and management is something that cannot be taught within the confines of a classroom or the PLT ground. It is something that is gained over years of experience. In the RN experience in leadership and man management is gained in the day to day running of a section on a ship or during BOSTs where you have to motivate your lads to dig out on their part if ship when they have been digging out in the flats since 0500.

Leadership courses are something that you need to pass to progress, they do not offer any enlightenment in how to be a good senior rate.

I await the angry responses and abuse that is likely to follow.

G

guestm

Fleet sprog, you won't get any argument or abuse from me there as I thought both courses were a set of turbo arse that taught me nothing. They truly were tick in the box nause sessions that were there as a right of passage but nothing else.

However, the ships cock you refer to hasn't even earned that mantle. He didn't make it out of Raleigh so has no experience of the RN and is ploughing fresh ground in the pioneering of absolute mongnificence and waltitude.

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery, I just wish he did me justice.

He wants a daddy. It's not me.

Fleet_Sprog

Lantern Swinger
However, the ships cock you refer to hasn't even earned that mantle. He didn't make it out of Raleigh so has no experience of the RN and is ploughing fresh ground in the pioneering of absolute mongnificence and waltitude.

Cheers Monty, didn't realise that he was just a cock. Even a title like ships cock has to be earned, which he obviously hasn't.

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
I am not prone to enter arguments on the side of the ships cock, however in my humble opinion both LRCC and SRCC were a complete waste of time. In total it was 7 seven weeks (combined) of my life that I will never get back. Leadership and management is something that cannot be taught within the confines of a classroom or the PLT ground. It is something that is gained over years of experience. In the RN experience in leadership and man management is gained in the day to day running of a section on a ship or during BOSTs where you have to motivate your lads to dig out on their part if ship when they have been digging out in the flats since 0500.

Leadership courses are something that you need to pass to progress, they do not offer any enlightenment in how to be a good senior rate.

I await the angry responses and abuse that is likely to follow.

Fleet_Sprog, no angry response from me. I agree in part that leadership is something which is gained from the day to day running of sections, departments, managing people, going through BOST, doing time on Ops and a whole bunch of other stuff. You can't teach that in a few weeks so by default you can't simply send someone on a course and hey-presto they're a fully certified leader.

Leadership course doesn't work that way. How it does work is that you take [largely] inexperienced personnel and take them through a process which exposes them to different methods and skills which will enable them to function initially as leaders in their new ranks. Once they take those first steps back in the Fleet they will begin to gain the experience which will shape the type of leader they will ultimately become. Some are naturally more successful than others while others miss the point entirely and don't deserve to hold a position of influence (NOT a dig at you).

SF

Seadog

War Hero
I agree with SILVER_FOX. In addition;

there was a LR on my LRLC (as it was in the mid 80s) who slagged off the course on day one, I don't see how this will make me a better Leading Hand. It didn't. He enjoyed the status and perks of being a killick but wasn't in a branch that ever required that he take charge of more than himself. He was naturally weak physically and mentally and was out of his depth from day one. Found out. Despite help from his course mates, he failed and was required to repeat in 12 months. He was lucky to keep his hook at the time. There was a weak PO on my POLC (as it was in the early 90s) who failed and was reverted to Leading Hand. Found out.

I was fortunate enough to go through both courses at Royal Arthur which was a better environment for all aspects of the course. In my humble opinion, hosting the courses at Collingrad is part of the reason that they are now viewed as a tick in the box rather than a rite of passage that they were around 20 and more years ago. Back then, any PO or CPO with a few years seniority who hadn't done POLC was viewed with suspicion by some of their peers.

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Losing the 'captive audience' effect when the training moved from Royal Arthur has definitely had an impact on the whole teamwork ethos. People being able to go home at night rather than mucking in is not helpful.

SF

Apple_Catchers

Midshipman
I have ticks in both boxes :) and can honestly say that the "Play" on SRCC was my favourite evolution especially as my part was "audience member". Chin chin.

Joe_Crow

War Hero
Losing the 'captive audience' effect when the training moved from Royal Arthur has definitely had an impact on the whole teamwork ethos. People being able to go home at night rather than mucking in is not helpful.

SF

Don't forget the in-between years, when it was at WI. No going home from there for any course members.

SandyCragg

Midshipman
I agree with SILVER_FOX. In addition;

there was a LR on my LRLC (as it was in the mid 80s) who slagged off the course on day one, I don't see how this will make me a better Leading Hand. It didn't. He enjoyed the status and perks of being a killick but wasn't in a branch that ever required that he take charge of more than himself. He was naturally weak physically and mentally and was out of his depth from day one. Found out. Despite help from his course mates, he failed and was required to repeat in 12 months. He was lucky to keep his hook at the time. There was a weak PO on my POLC (as it was in the early 90s) who failed and was reverted to Leading Hand. Found out.

I was fortunate enough to go through both courses at Royal Arthur which was a better environment for all aspects of the course. In my humble opinion, hosting the courses at Collingrad is part of the reason that they are now viewed as a tick in the box rather than a rite of passage that they were around 20 and more years ago. Back then, any PO or CPO with a few years seniority who hadn't done POLC was viewed with suspicion by some of their peers.

It's odd how all these natural leaders are born, they don't need any training or advice, they just instinctively know how to manage all people in all situations. I would imagine they are the sort of people who could strip down an Oly, rebuild and commission it without any training or experience.

I did Royal Arthur in '86, it was a good course and the very least that it did was cause you to think about how you lead, manage and motivate your team; in mundane day to day tasks and when it really counts, as the shit hits the fan.

My advice would be to go in with the right attitude and you might even learn something...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BFRS BFRS Course Of the Day (Ashridge Leadership Workshop) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
F Rothiemurchus leadership course Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Junior Leadership Course Portsmouth ! SCC and URNU 1
T Potential Officer Leadership Course 21 - 26 March Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Polycell POs leadership course at Royal Arthur............. Bases / Shore Est 67
MoD_RSS Government strengthens digital leadership MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New NHS maternity leadership training to address Ockenden Review recommendations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New leadership for construction of 40 new hospitals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Moving to the next level of project leadership across government MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief nurse for adult social care to provide clinical leadership during winter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary reaffirms UK commitment to leadership on Euro-Atlantic security at NATO Defence Ministerial MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backs bold leadership of UK Atomic Energy Authority MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NDA launches leadership partnership to inspire young nuclear professionals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual announces interim leadership arrangements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Our leadership academy programme strikes gold MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £20 million to improve small business leadership and problem-solving skills in the wake of coronavirus MoD News 0
S US Navy leadership culture International 4
S Leadership Qualifications The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 20
MoD_RSS Africa Minister champions UK leadership to help educate girls and end preventable deaths MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for Equalities Baroness Williams speaking at the Government Equalities Office's LGBT Leadership Summit MoD News 0
Spiced Buoy Leadership oppertunities before joining as officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS The new normal: leadership in the climate crisis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK leadership in European space telecommunications set to continue as new report shows benefits MoD News 1
MoD_RSS The Chancellor's speech at the GG2 Leadership Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National Leadership Centre programme launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Sponsors the First Youth Leadership Summit for the 4Rs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 10 projects funded to extend UK’s leadership in Earth Observation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New funding heralds UK's leadership in low-carbon automotive future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Local knowledge. National action. International leadership. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Getting the right leadership is vital for patient safety MoD News 0
A Leadership opportunities for an aspiring officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Speech: Good NHS leadership starts with culture change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: LLWR Leadership Team shows support for anti-bullying campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Leadership within the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary reaffirms leadership in NATO on Washington visit MoD News 0
alfred_the_great Officers and Leadership Joining the Royal Navy 35
Good CO Women in Leadership - RN Lt (Guardian) The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Secretary of State Michael Fallon's speech to FCO leadership conference MoD News 0
BFRS ILM Level 5 Certificate in Leadership & Management The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
Seaweed A lesson in leadership from the 1940s RCN History 1
Z Junior Rates' Leadership UPO/Careers Office 40
soleil Western Morning News: "Dartmouth BRNC Cadets' Lesson In Leadership From 1SL" Bases / Shore Est 0
B Sift interview - Leadership experience? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
N Leadership or management? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 48
H Leadership in the Navy The Fleet 18
finknottle Cameron's disgraceful failure of leadership The Gash Barge 126
finknottle Dithering leadership Current Affairs 37
finknottle Ed Miliband wins Labour leadership race Current Affairs 50
soleil Isle Of Wight County Press: "Leadership Recognised" Bases / Shore Est 0
S The next leadership debate Diamond Lil's 2