Lax Ligaments

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Eps1, Mar 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dunno if anyone has asked about this before, but my son is going for his medical on Friday and when he was a child he was told he had lax ligaments in his elbows, wrist and fingers. However, he has never had any problems with them - never had pain or any injuries etc and seems to be fairly strong etc. It does say on the guidance notes that Hypermobility (lax ligaments) precludes entry - but with him never having had any problems etc, plus the fact that apart from this he is has no other medical/physical probs, would this in itself prevent him from joining?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

It does say on the guidance notes that Hypermobility (lax ligaments) precludes entry -

Does that bit not answer your question?

3. Depends if he has this rather nebulous "lax ligaments" thing or an actual medical problem. If he's never dislocated a joint or had to alter his physical activity as a result then I wouldn't worry.

4. Hi Angrydoc, many thanks for your reply.

Just to add that basically my son's wrists, for example, move more freely than "normal". They don't have more range of movement or anything and, like I say, it hasn't bothered or hindered him during his life thus far. He seems reasonably strong (he has done casual work in a warehouse lifting heavy boxes around etc with no problems).

Just for interest, how severe would the problem have to be to prevent him passing the medical. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

5. Had a lad on one Boat who had "lax ligaments" at over 6` turned round in a torpedo tube after the rear door was shut.

He was latter Medically Discharged because his shoulder would dislocate when he saluted.

6. Although medically possible, and I don't doubt you Topstop, that sounds like the ultimate bite: "I can't salute you, Sir, as I may dislocate my shoulder as a result".

Many people have more mobile joints than "normal". This is because "normal" means 95% of the population (Google "normal distribution curve"). This sometimes gives problems, but if significant problems were going to happen they would have done so by puberty. I don't think there's going to be a problem, and if no diagnosis has ever been made then there is nothing to declare on the form.

A former girlfriend had a condition called Ehler-Danlos syndrome which made her incredibly hyper-mobile. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing...

7. Loved your comment about your ex-girlfriend!!! Many thanks for your input - I'll let you know how he gets on.

8. janner

Any pics?.....

9. You beat me to that one Janner!

• Like Like x 1
  10. A former girlfriend had a condition called Ehler-Danlos syndrome which made her incredibly hyper-mobile. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing...[/QUOTE]
    Is this whats called having a good bed side manor

11. Is this whats called having a good bed side manor[/QUOTE]

Sorry ... what does having a large country house have to do with bedside manner????????

12. Sorry ... what does having a large country house have to do with bedside manner????????[/QUOTE]

Maybe a good bed side manner in his country Manor?

• Like Like x 1

13. Don't you just hate smart arses.......

Well, sorry to disprove your theory - but he passed!

I always find it's best to keep "clever" remarks to yourself - as they have a habit of coming back and biting you on the bum.....

14. Hi Angrydoc - just to let you know that my son passed his medical!! So on to the physical now!!

Many thanks for all your advice and your positive (and humerous!!) comments.

15. janner

Not smart arsed or clever, not even my theory, its what you quoted as the notes of guidance.

Glad to hear that your son passed and hope the rest of the procedure goes well for him.

16. Thanks for that Janner - the thing was that, even though it stated lax ligaments precluded entry, plus the fact that my son had been told as a young child that had that problem, after reading up on it on t'internet and finding out the symptoms - none of which my son has ever had, I wasn't convinced that applied to him. Anyway, the main thing is he passed - whether or not he still has lax ligaments or not, I've no idea!!!
    I think my brother had similar flexibility (as do I - it must be generic) and he spent several years in the mob in the 80's. But when he joined back in the dark ages the selection process was much different than it is today - as is the RN as a whole from what I can remember!!

Anyway, next thing is the physical....

17. Hmmm the physical....didn't Saliva Neutron-Bomb make a song about that?

18. janner

legs.jpg

I just like the pic.