Launch and Recover

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Apr 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nice one Scouse, just downloaded Warship Eagle from same site.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Good timing with that one scouse, I'm just reading a novel by Stephen Coonts, The Intruders, it goes into some detail re flight deck operations, suprisingly for an American author he give due credit to the Brits for several of the more important carrier inventions.

3. All the important inventions were British

1 The landing Mirror system
    2 Arrester wires
    3 Angled Deck
    4 Catapult system
    5 Barrier System
    6 Harrier Ski Jump

The Americans did invent the strop recovery system (before the Brits used this a strop was ditched on every launch)

When I was on Ark Royal in 76 we could launch three aircraft in the time that the yanks launche two, and they had three catapults to our two.

However now that the expertise has gone this would no longer be the case

4. On the side of 163 it says Arnold Airways !!!! Named after CPO Arnold the cabs watch chief lol

5. Really interesting video Scouse, I always wondered how a steam catapult worked. Being a Sea Harrier maintainer it was a lot less complicated to get a cab back to the deck. A very complex evolution, these cats and traps. I predict many accidents to come...

6. Interesting video, shame theres no jets for us to work on.

7. you could have launched and recovered from the skippers ferret! (c2' 59")

8. Some good Falklands clips on that Utube page -
    G

9. Very interesting and good example of teamwork video, shame we won't have that anytime soon. I never realised how much manpower this required, these days you've got nav's wings, FDO/CFD marshaller and that's it. Impressive bit of kit though

10. I just finished watching that myself, and veru impressed with the teamwork displyed by the crew. And all of the technical innovations that the RN introduced to carrier operations. I served on a US carrier and never really understood how that gear worked.