Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by hobbit, Oct 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's interesting to see the use of Latin in some of the signatures. Although I did not study the language when at school it has always fascinated me for some reason. I did come across it when involved with law, although not a ( spit ) lawyer. One of my favourites is In Vino Veritas ( in wine the truth) or more basically, when pissed you blabber off. Incidently the Pope is considering a return to use of the language in Catholic services. Yes , an interesting language indeed,

2. When I was in infant/junior school and yes it was a convent school, we had our morning service in Latin. Never really understood it so my mum and gran used to sit down with me and show me the odd thing or two. I do understand some Latin, my gran said they used to hold services in Latin when she was a lass and so with my mum.
  3. CENTURION: What's this, then? 'Romanes Eunt Domus'? 'People called Romanes they go the house'?

BRIAN: It-- it says, 'Romans, go home'.

CENTURION: No, it doesn't. What's Latin for 'Roman'? Come on!

BRIAN: Aah!

CENTURION: Come on!

BRIAN: 'R-- Romanus'?

CENTURION: Goes like...?

BRIAN: 'Annus'?

CENTURION: Vocative plural of 'annus' is...?

BRIAN: Eh. 'Anni'?

CENTURION: 'Romani'. 'Eunt'? What is 'eunt'?

BRIAN: 'Go'. Let--

CENTURION: Conjugate the verb 'to go'.

BRIAN: Uh. 'Ire'. Uh, 'eo'. 'Is'. 'It'. 'Imus'. 'Itis'. 'Eunt'.

CENTURION: So 'eunt' is...?

BRIAN: Ah, huh, third person plural, uh, present indicative. Uh, 'they go'.

CENTURION: But 'Romans, go home' is an order, so you must use the...?

BRIAN: The... imperative!

CENTURION: Which is...?

BRIAN: Umm! Oh. Oh. Um, 'i'. 'I'!

CENTURION: How many Romans?

BRIAN: Ah! 'I'-- Plural. Plural. 'Ite'. 'Ite'.

CENTURION: 'Ite'.

BRIAN: Ah. Eh.

CENTURION: 'Domus'? Nominative? 'Go home'? This is motion towards. Isn't it, boy?

BRIAN: Ah. Ah, dative, sir! Ahh! No, not dative! Not the dative, sir! No! Ah! Oh, the... accusative! Accusative! Ah! 'Domum', sir! 'Ad domum'! Ah! Oooh! Ah!

CENTURION: Except that 'domus' takes the...?

BRIAN: The locative, sir!

CENTURION: Which is...?!

BRIAN: 'Domum'.

CENTURION: 'Domum'. 'Um'. Understand?

BRIAN: Yes, sir.

CENTURION: Now, write it out a hundred times.

BRIAN: Yes, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar, sir.

CENTURION: Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.

BRIAN: Oh, thank you, sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar and everything, sir!

Best advert for Latin ever!
  4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

OK a challenge for the Latin "speakers" - I'm looking for translations of the following phrases:

"If we can't fix it, we fcuk it"

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

"If you're not cheating, you're not trying"

"It came off in my hand, Chief"
  5. I will have a look for you Wagger.
    This is a great favourite of mine.

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? - Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy to see me?

Take a peek here ;
  6. If you're not cheating, you're not trying - vestra ne incommodo infidelis, vestra ne effectus

Considering the way we speak and write and phrase is not how it would be said in another language. Also keep in mind I am not fluent and I would never have learnt the bad words but I am unable to come up with common words as these are not part of the language.

People correct me if I am wrong with the above, I don't have a need to learn Latin, I do know Italian but they are two different langauges. The nearest language to Roman would actually be Romanian these days, I know a little of that also :wink:
  7. Facta …means done the deed

Not to be confused with Facit or Facof as they have completely different meanings.

8. I was brought up a Catholic, and understood the mass when said in Latin, when to bob down, stand up etc, when it changed to English i was well and truly fcuked, and tho a dead language it does help with English if studied. I`m confused with Jenny, there was no Roman language, it was Latin, and i can assure her that Romanian is no where near it, there was of course Romany which was gypsy talk as it were, which is maybe what she meant, tho again nothing to do with Latin, i think that there are all Latin phrases on google which may help.
  9. Nice site, andym. I never got past amo amas etc. Highest score in an exam was 10%. I failed :oops:

NB. Can anyone come up with a smiley "Stating The Bleeding Obvious"? :idea:
  10. Estne toga volumen in an solum...

Of course the beauty of Latin is that the word order, unlike English, doesn't matter. It is the grammer that tells you what the sentence means. That is why you cannot translate a Latin sentence without a good grounding in the grammer. You can have a passing idea, but not a proper understanding. The other thing I used to like were sentences where the meaning only became apparent when you reached the last work after reading 19 odd other words!

In classical Latin there would be no punctuation, just to make life difficult...

I do believe that Latin and Greek are useful to learn at school - I have a much better appreciation of the English language that I would have had I not encountered them when I was younger.

I regretted the passing of the Latin Mass - and I can see precisely why Benedict will be keen to reintroduce it - and there is nothing romantic or sentimental about it!

Contrast my Latin with my French - my French is crap! :lol:
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"In loco parentis" - My Dad's a train driver... :wink:
  12. Don't tell Andy - he'll be jealous! :lol:
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!
    (Beam me up, Scotty!)

Nihil declaro.
    (I've nothing to declare.)

Fac ut vivas!
    (Get a life!)

Magister mundi sum!
    (I am the master of the universe!)

Cogito ergo doleo.
    (I think therefore I'm depressed.)

Sona si latine loqueris!
    (Honk if you speak Latin!)

Conlige suspectos semper habitos!
    (Round up the usual suspects!)

Fac ut gaudeam!
    (Make my day!)
  14. I know "et cetra"! Does that count as speaking Latin?
  15. I don't know how you find so much time to go through JD's posts in the hope you'll find something to have a dig at, however as I am a complete pedant, I feel the need to point you in the direction of Romanesco. See
  16. Nemo me Impunae lacaesset = noone strikes me with impunity

or in jack speak

No one fucks with me and gets away with it!!!!!

Cream bun to the 1st person that can tell me where you can see the above latin phrase,almost daily.
  17. RC church services were conducted in Latin, the Roman kind, Roman Latin aka Roman Catholic. If you are pointing towards other Latin languages e.g. Spanish, Italian and such, please forgive me. Also, Romania was formed by the Romans, hense the name Romania, there language is still holding some of that from Roman Latin.

However, if I am wrong, please take this up with my friends from Romania :wink:
  18. Guessing a daily newspaper ? (do I get a nibble at the bun??)
  19. Nemo me impune lacesset!

Isn't it the motto of the Black Watch?

And... the Scottish Royal Coat of Arms?