Lateral transfer into the RN; possible? What if trained in RN?

Hello team,

Long time lurker, but yet to find an answer to this question (cue someone with the exact thread i'm saying doesn't exist).

Is it possible to initiate a commissioned officer lateral transfer from the RCN/RAN/RNZN into the RN?

How? If not a straight transfer, which seems unlikely, what things need to be put in place to make it happen?

What are the considerations? e.g. citizenship, clearances, retraining/qualifications (OOW/OOD ticket etc), likely drafts...

There are a number of threads about transferring from the RN into RCN/RAN/RNZN etc, which should perhaps be an alarm bell, but i'm talking the other way around.

Say for example you were an junior officer who completes their professional training in the RN on exchange, does this make it easier? e.g. complete you PWO course in the UK, who do you look up towards the end of training to start this convo?

Any answers/views/opinions appreciated, if for nothing but the humor this community provides.

Thanks,

W.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Yes, is the short answer. The RN, Army & RAF all have lateral transferees from Commonwealth nations.

Your best bet would be to touch base with the Appointer for the RN career field that you're interested in.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Career management position.

Basically the staff officer who runs the manning plot for, say, Warfare Officers, Pilots, Engineer Officers, etc. Good people to get on the right side of..........

finners

I’m currently in the RNZN as an AB originally from the UK still a British citizen and I’ve been looking into this as me and the Mrs want to move back. Called all sorts of people and nobody seems to know anything.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I’m currently in the RNZN as an AB originally from the UK still a British citizen and I’ve been looking into this as me and the Mrs want to move back. Called all sorts of people and nobody seems to know anything.
Generally, for a rating lateral transfer, it'll be processed via Captain Naval Recruiting. If the RNZN are prepared to permit the transfer, your Divisional Officer can establish comms via an email multiuser account: [email protected]

Hello team,

Long time lurker, but yet to find an answer to this question (cue someone with the exact thread i'm saying doesn't exist).

Is it possible to initiate a commissioned officer lateral transfer from the RCN/RAN/RNZN into the RN?

How? If not a straight transfer, which seems unlikely, what things need to be put in place to make it happen?

What are the considerations? e.g. citizenship, clearances, retraining/qualifications (OOW/OOD ticket etc), likely drafts...

There are a number of threads about transferring from the RN into RCN/RAN/RNZN etc, which should perhaps be an alarm bell, but i'm talking the other way around.

Say for example you were an junior officer who completes their professional training in the RN on exchange, does this make it easier? e.g. complete you PWO course in the UK, who do you look up towards the end of training to start this convo?

Any answers/views/opinions appreciated, if for nothing but the humor this community provides.

Thanks,

W.
All Officer transfers are processed via AIB and are very much case by case as Warfare or Royal Marine, for example, has Nationality Restrictions and they need to evaluate individual skillsets & identify training needs upon transfer - a CV is recommended upfront.

Initial Officer enquiries should be made via email to [email protected]

finners

Thanks for that much appreciated. It won’t be for a couple of years yet but I was really unsure wether it could be done.

All Officer transfers are processed via AIB and are very much case by case as Warfare or Royal Marine, for example, has Nationality Restrictions and they need to evaluate individual skillsets & identify training needs upon transfer - a CV is recommended upfront.

Initial Officer enquiries should be made via email to [email protected]
Ninja, worth sounding out the relevant appointer at about the same time as well?

Any other key people? If I'm over there training anyway, figure a name you can put a face to couldn't hurt...

W

finners

Has anybody heard of anyone transferring into the RN from the RNZN, RAN or RCN? And what are the chances on a successful transfer?