Lateral Recruitment

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Squipper, Dec 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, sorry if this is mentioned before, i did a search and found nothing.

Just wondering if the RN does any lateral recruiting. Im a Survival equipment bod in the Raf, been looking at NASE and seems more my thing. finished the NVQ 3 in SE from defence college, im sure the subjects are the same between Gosport and Cosford. I believe iv got a return of service to the Raf anyway and have only done 3.5 years so another year yet. But would like to plan early if im going to make a move.

Thanks for any info.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

At present there's about a 3 year waiting list to join as a Naval Airman (Survival Equipment) due largely to the fact the RAF scrapped the Harrier instead of the Tornado.

The irony is there has to be a surplus of manpower in your source Arm of the service & a shortage of manpower in your intended branch to facilitate an 'in service' transfer.

Best bet is to enquire via your local AFCO, but don't submit notice to quit on JPA until all avenues are explored.

Good luck.

3. Same situation over here with the cuts in VC10, Tristar, a c130 varient and nimrods, theres little space for promotion or even posting. SAC's on a 9 year contract will be out the door before the board for cpl even considers them. That being one of the reasons Nase looks more secure, aswell as the NA-Squadrons being in a more expeditionary and interesting role compared to alot of units within the raf i could be posted to.

Ill certainly check out what the AFCO says about it, i would take a change in trade as an option, but would rather stick with what i know and could enjoy. I would'nt go near JPA without any form of security.

Thanks for the advice and help!