Lateral Entry with a Chiefs ticket

Hello. Not sure if this has been asked - I’ve had a scan and couldn’t spot anything.

I’m currently a Chief Engineer on the commercial side of life (unlimited tickets etc) and am applying to join RFA.

Fully prepared for rank drop and so on. That’s not the issue.

I’ve been at sea 17 years and have been senior Officer for the last 7-8 years on various vessel types and sizes.

Is it likely I will have to do the full BRNC? Got my RT when I go on leave in a couple of weeks, then interview some point after that I guess.

Also I’m 34 and i’m Gyming 4-5 times a week and really struggling to get my run times down to the 11 ish minutes. I play very amateur rugby still and am a forward - and built like it also.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, how much about the RFA will I get asked about? I mean I have an understanding about what roles it fulfils and so on, but will I be expected to do silhouette identification and armament knowledge?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

AJ

Random

Lantern Swinger
Is it likely I will have to do the full BRNC? Got my RT when I go on leave in a couple of weeks, then interview some point after that I guess.

Also I’m 34 and i’m Gyming 4-5 times a week and really struggling to get my run times down to the 11 ish minutes. I play very amateur rugby still and am a forward - and built like it also.
The RFA does a short course (1 term) at BRNC, similar in a lot of ways to what the RN Docs and the RN Senior Upper Yardsmen (Senior Rates to Officer) do. Whilst there are physical components to it and its best to be as fit as you can before going, you do not have to reach the standards required by the RN for their trainees as our standard is the ENG1 not RNFT. What the PTIs and other instructors at the college want to see is people trying their best, pushing their limits and not coasting.

Also, how much about the RFA will I get asked about? I mean I have an understanding about what roles it fulfils and so on, but will I be expected to do silhouette identification and armament knowledge?
You should have a good knowledge of our classes of ship, what their roles are and be able to identify them from their photographs, a look on marine traffic will also quickly identify which parts of the world we are currently operating in. Frankly these days we dont have so many ships you couldn't easily learn their names and pennant numbers, but that is not required.

As an experienced and senior Engineer showing a general knowledge of what the propulsion systems are for each probably would not hurt! On that note, a not too detailed search on Linkedin will find you a fair few of our senior engineers (including our Commodore E) and a polite note to one them will probably be able to give you the insights you need.

I’m currently a Chief Engineer on the commercial side of life (unlimited tickets etc) and am applying to join RFA.

Fully prepared for rank drop and so on. That’s not the issue.

I’ve been at sea 17 years and have been senior Officer for the last 7-8 years on various vessel types and sizes.
As for Rank drop, ask recruitment for a copy of our Marine Engineer Officer career framework. This lovely document lists all the experience and courses required for each rank and should help you with understand where you may potentially start. The only former commercial Chief I know of, started as 1st Officer (Deck Engineer) to get himself acquainted with the way we work and is now I believe a Chief Officer (2nd Engineer).

Ah, excellent. That has allayed my fears a bit - really wasn’t keen on the thought of doing loads of weeks of training and run the risk of failing at any point through it.... I’ve a mortgage! That’s been the bit that’s really been stressing me out.

1OE would suit me down to the ground. I did a similar job (Deck Engineer) when I was on crusieships, just with additional swimming pools and not so much Rasing. And the ships I’m Currently on are chilled water Reefers.

Doing basic ship propulsion research on the RFA fleet has been interesting. Found out the Tide Class have the straight non CR version of the engines on QM2 - so that’ll give me lots to talk about. 2 strokes, diesel electric, medium speed, pods etc all that under the belt already. So just need to find the specifics out.

Last edited:
@Antijanner ??

What on earth has our poor old @Janner done to upset you?

Did that (former Submariner BTW) collar you for Portlandish misbehaviour ashore when he was afoot in the Dorsetshire Constabulary, perchance?

An unsatisfactory reply could delay your otherwise worthy RFA application!

It’s a long story - but essentially, when I was on cruise ships a Staff chief kept calling me Janner. When I’m from Penzance (geographical nicknames not his strong point) I then needed a unique name for an online profile and I used the opposite of that.

Nothing scandalous. Honest Guv.

Well RT done, just wait for the Office to come back.

Wasn't as tricky as I expected - as always the advice is practise against time. I finished the mechanical bit with about 1 minute to spare.

And glad I went back over each test, after I'd finished, but still had time left. I picked out a few I marked incorrectly!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'm rather perplexed why the RFA would want a qualified MN Engineering Officer to sit a Recruit Test.

Are they intending to make you re-qualify as an Engineer?

Random

Lantern Swinger
Well that’s that. Start 11/12 September - start working notice with current outfit soon. 1OE for me. Got to do a 6 week course at HMS Sultan - ME 370.
Good luck, have no idea what the ME 370 course entails, but watch out for the trainee Submariners and the night bar at Sultan. Both caused a lot of pain (mental and physical) when I was down there doing my initial Electrical training (lovingly known as the Kettle course)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Submariners 10
S Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Bergen Diamond Lil's 21