Last year in school need advice about joining

Should I

• Total voters
Hi I’m currently in my last year at school. I’m intrested in becoming a marine engineer but I have a couple of options.

Go to tech then do the accelerated apprenticeship
Join when I leave school
Take a year or two to work then join

Would be great full if anyone could share some advice.
Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The accelerated apprenticeship, with a starting wage of £31k is probably one of the best job offers I've ever come across in the public or private sector. It's such a good offer that the only worry is how long it'll be before some penny-pinching government mandarin decides to axe it.

If you think you may struggle with the academic entry standards for AA, or are fed up with being in school, then standard Engineering Technician is still a good way to go with sought-after transferrable skills and qualifications. Promotion can be fast if you are good at the job.

What age to join? That's your shout but you can be getting £880 a month in your pocket from age 16, twice that by age 18 or you could join up after uni, having racked-up an average of £50k debt compared to earning over £100k had you joined aged 16 or 18. Engineering Officers join on £6k less than accelerated apprentices, but currently get a £27k joining bounty (whether that is still offered in five years is open to conjecture).

My tip, aim high, go for the accelerated apprentice scheme, you could still get an engineering degree (free from tuition fees) and later become an engineering officer, if that's what you later aspire to.

The accelerated apprenticeship, with a starting wage of £31k is probably one of the best offers job offers I've ever come across in the public or private sector. It's such a good offer that the only worry is how long it'll be before some penny-pinching government mandarin decides to axe it.

If you think you may struggle with the academic entry standards for AA, or are fed up with being in school, then standard Engineering Technician is still a goid way to go with sought-after transferrable skills and qualifications. Promotion can be fast if you are good at the job.

What age to join? That's your shout but you can be getting £880 a month in your pocket from age 16, twice that by age 18 or you could join up after uni, having racked-up an average of £50k debt compared to earning over £100k had you joined aged 16 or 18. Engineering Officers join on £6k less than accelerated apprentices, but currently get a £27k joining bounty (whether that is still offered in five years is open to conjecture).

My tip, aim high, go for the accelated apprentice scheme, you could still get an engineering degree (free from tuition fees) and later become an engineering officer, if that's what you later aspire to.
Thanks that was what I was originally planning to do the AA then hopefully commission just after talking to the RN careers officer they said about going in With out tech so it confused my decision a bit

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks that was what I was originally planning to do the AA then hopefully commission just after talking to the RN careers officer they said about going in With out tech so it confused my decision a bit
You are probably best sitting the recruit test before the end of this academic year (it remains valid 3 years).

By sitting the test you'll hopefully know whether or not it is within your grasp. Sitting the test sooner rather than later also gives you the opportunity to resit if needs be.

If you don't do so well, but score high enough for standard Engineering Technician, you can then decide whether AA is doable or whether you want to quit education and start earning a wage sooner rather than later.

Those joining as a standard engineering technician can still achieve the same end-goal as AA's albeit longer. Engineering Officer remains achievable as long as you get the basic 5 GCSEs (inc maths & English).

You are probably best sitting the recruit test before the end of this academic year (it remains valid 3 years).

By sitting the test you'll hopefully know whether or not it is within your grasp. Sitting the test sooner rather than later also gives you the opportunity to resit if needs be.

If you don't do so well, but score high enough for standard Engineering Technician, you can then decide whether AA is doable or whether you want to quit education and start earning a wage sooner rather than later.

Those joining as a standard engineering technician can still achieve the same end-goal as AA's albeit longer. Engineering Officer remains achievable as long as you get the basic 5 GCSEs (inc maths & English).
Thanks for the info has really helped I’ll look into the recruit test