Last WW2 veteran to leave the RN

Discussion in 'History' started by BARNEYRNSM, Sep 22, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I seem to recall that one of the CPOs from RN DQs was the last WW2 veteran to leave active service. I seem to remember seeing him underway in HMS Nelson and I am certain there was an article in the NN about him. Anyone remember his name?
  2. Late 1980s I think?
  3. The were two at Collingwood in the 80's one was a Killick on Liverpool Rd Gate the other a CMEM, both geriatrics but wouldn't swear to WWII service.
  4. The one I remember was wearing no2s and had WW2 ribbons on as well,can't remember what branch though
  5. I seem to recall an old and bold CPO in Sultan around 1982ish who was sporting WW2 ribbons, maybe it was the same bloke?

The FCPO dabber on Bulwark was a WW2 vet but this was in 1974 -75.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. It wasn't Ninja was it?!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't be daft. He only wears his Trafalgar one.
    • Like Like x 1

8. I see that he's changed his avatar so that you can't see his gongs anymore! Bless :)
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I've got 7 of the buggers now & a list to port. Can't fit them all in the avatar unfortunately. ;)

Having said that I've seen Pongo SNCOs with over a dozen thanks to the jubilee gongs & ACSM rule change, etc.
  10. Barney

Soleil has sent you a PM but she's not sure if you are getting them, if not she said

"A CPO called William Price retired from the RN in March 1993, having served for 22 years in the RN DQ at Portsmouth. He joined in 1948, so not quite during WWII."
  11. Wreckage, ask her to come back please. She produced some (well a LOT) of cracking posts and helped a lot of folk out information-wise, myself included.

Gee I miss her (sob)!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Admiral of the Fleet, The Duke of Edinburgh is on the active list ( as 5 * do ) and therefore still in the Navy. He served in World War 2. His Campaign Stars and MiD are real.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Yes but he doesn't count as when he slaps in for a fith five it is never turned down:p
  14. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Seconded. the MOD who was always on her case seems to have left ( hopefully ) .
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Sol reads the posts so hopefully she'll see this and start posting again.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Via Facebook it appears that the LH or AB that used to work Loverpool Rd gate was approx 60 in 1980. He was either a "Promised Man" or "Naval Orphan" from what myself and others can remember.
  17. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

There was a WW2 vet serving in Desert Storm on one of the MN STUFT IIRC.
    I think the last couple left in the mid 80s - the last Service chiefs had gone by about 1985, and its unlikely any others in other ranks went on much beyond this unless they went into ACF type roles, which dont really count.

Sol - its a shame she's gone, but I don't miss the endless posts on utterly irrelevant news stories.
  18. Well from the WE contingent On FB we had CMEM Sid Molyneaux serving as a promised man until 87/88, no ones sure of the date. I do remember the divisions when he retired at what we believe was 65 so very possible he was a WWII veteran.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I worked in the Release Section at Nelson Sick Bay in 1990 and the first guy I released was a promised man from DQ's.
    He'd joined up in 1942.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. That's a bit of a subjective statement, I always thought the posts had a Naval connection, and, as has been said over and over again, if you don't like 'em, don't read 'em.
    • Like Like x 3