Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last WW2 veteran to leave the RN

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
I seem to recall that one of the CPOs from RN DQs was the last WW2 veteran to leave active service. I seem to remember seeing him underway in HMS Nelson and I am certain there was an article in the NN about him. Anyone remember his name?

RabC

MIA
The were two at Collingwood in the 80's one was a Killick on Liverpool Rd Gate the other a CMEM, both geriatrics but wouldn't swear to WWII service.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I seem to recall an old and bold CPO in Sultan around 1982ish who was sporting WW2 ribbons, maybe it was the same bloke?

The FCPO dabber on Bulwark was a WW2 vet but this was in 1974 -75.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I see that he's changed his avatar so that you can't see his gongs anymore! Bless :)
I've got 7 of the buggers now & a list to port. Can't fit them all in the avatar unfortunately. ;)

Having said that I've seen Pongo SNCOs with over a dozen thanks to the jubilee gongs & ACSM rule change, etc.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Barney

Soleil has sent you a PM but she's not sure if you are getting them, if not she said

"A CPO called William Price retired from the RN in March 1993, having served for 22 years in the RN DQ at Portsmouth. He joined in 1948, so not quite during WWII."

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Wreckage, ask her to come back please. She produced some (well a LOT) of cracking posts and helped a lot of folk out information-wise, myself included.

Gee I miss her (sob)!

Seadog

War Hero
Admiral of the Fleet, The Duke of Edinburgh is on the active list ( as 5 * do ) and therefore still in the Navy. He served in World War 2. His Campaign Stars and MiD are real.

slim

War Hero
Admiral of the Fleet, The Duke of Edinburgh is on the active list ( as 5 * do ) and therefore still in the Navy. He served in World War 2. His Campaign Stars and MiD are real.
Yes but he doesn't count as when he slaps in for a fith five it is never turned down:p

AAF

War Hero
Wreckage, ask her to come back please. She produced some (well a LOT) of cracking posts and helped a lot of folk out information-wise, myself included.

Gee I miss her (sob)!
Seconded. the MOD who was always on her case seems to have left ( hopefully ) .

RabC

MIA
Via Facebook it appears that the LH or AB that used to work Loverpool Rd gate was approx 60 in 1980. He was either a "Promised Man" or "Naval Orphan" from what myself and others can remember.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
There was a WW2 vet serving in Desert Storm on one of the MN STUFT IIRC.
I think the last couple left in the mid 80s - the last Service chiefs had gone by about 1985, and its unlikely any others in other ranks went on much beyond this unless they went into ACF type roles, which dont really count.

Sol - its a shame she's gone, but I don't miss the endless posts on utterly irrelevant news stories.

RabC

MIA
Well from the WE contingent On FB we had CMEM Sid Molyneaux serving as a promised man until 87/88, no ones sure of the date. I do remember the divisions when he retired at what we believe was 65 so very possible he was a WWII veteran.

Peebs

Badgeman
I worked in the Release Section at Nelson Sick Bay in 1990 and the first guy I released was a promised man from DQ's.
He'd joined up in 1942.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Sol - its a shame she's gone, but I don't miss the endless posts on utterly irrelevant news stories.

That's a bit of a subjective statement, I always thought the posts had a Naval connection, and, as has been said over and over again, if you don't like 'em, don't read 'em.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Last surviving RN LST of WW2 looks to be doomed. History 3
MoD_RSS New data shows proportion of steel procured within UK has doubled since last year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS nurse numbers continue rising with 13,840 more than last year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS nurse numbers continue to rise with 13,502 more than last year MoD News 0
D Navy as a last resort option Joining the Royal Navy 61
MoD_RSS Last chance to ‘wave goodbye’ to Mercury mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Last chance to express interest for rural business growth grants MoD News 0
C Last time a squadron of ships sailed together apart from the Dartmouth Training Squadron in the 1960's Miscellaneous 7
MoD_RSS Last chance to sign up for the EECAN Roadshow MoD News 0
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
MoD_RSS The Last Overland Adventure expedition arrived in Ashgabat MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home education: a choice or last resort? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Last nuclear fuel flask leaves Wylfa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Final nuclear fuel removed from last Magnox reactor MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Thousands of companies missed crucial accounts deadline last year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS If your charity last did an annual return before 12 November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Last chance to apply for International Trade Summer School MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Porsche is the number one prestige car brand clamped last year by DVLA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM statement on the liberation of the last Daesh-held territory: 23 March 2019 MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The last surviving REAL Great Escape Survivor finally passes away History 0
MoD_RSS News story: The end of an era: RAF Tornado returns from operations for the last time MoD News 0
Sumo Last man standing Current Affairs 0
S RFA - living outside the Uk in the last 5 years Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Dusty70 “Name the last Type 26 Frigate HMS Plymouth”. Petitions 4
Capn_Pugwash Last Post and Reveille - sheet music History 2
soleil Forces Network News: "HMS Tyne Goes Home For The Last Time" The Fleet 24
A Last year in school need advice about joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Ballistic HMS Ocean's last homecoming Current Affairs 3
T Son passed out of Raleigh last week Joining the Royal Navy 5
fishhead Say again your last Land Ops 2
MoD_RSS Press release: Autonomy on the frontline: Last Mile challenge winners announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Autonomous last mile resupply network event - information pack MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Accelerator webinar: autonomous last mile resupply MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Accelerator innovation network event: autonomous last mile resupply MoD News 0
J Not lived in UK last 5 years. RFA 8
MoD_RSS News story: UK and US look to robotics help for ‘last mile’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Last chance for Sergeant Arthur Pulman MoD News 6
J Last minute medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS News story: A new painting marks Army’s relationship with Scotland over last 100 years MoD News 0
C Any last tips? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Rodgersthecabinboy Found this last night. Diamond Lil's 6
P Your last session/workout! Health & Fitness 282
M hms picotee,last man standing History 3
Sea-man Last post I promise!! Submariners 7
D Afghanistan, the lions last roar? Current Affairs 12
muskovardo Any advice for last minute weight loss? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
F Probably my last ever thread Diamond Lil's 60
D Interview tomorrow, any last minute advise Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil Pompey News: "End Of An Era As Last Surviving Wren Leaves HMS Sultan Naval Branch" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pompey News: "Home At Last! HMS Illustrious Returns To Portsmouth Today" The Fleet 38